Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Such a bizarre watch. It’s like 2013/14 happened in an alternate timeline.

Macca mentioned the Mandela Effect the other day and watching this feels like it could become one of those things in the future.

Watching that video almost felt like it was a dream I had once.

Came into the city today, catching up with a bloke I used to work with, for the first time in 6 months.

Standing outside the coffee shop at the finish, and none other than Sir Gav himself walks past :cool::D:thumbsu:

Even though he was dressed like a complete dag, still felt like standing to attention and saluting a true Port champion. Wanted to ask for an autograph, but he was ensconced in his mobile phone, so left him in peace!
Drove past Adelaide over this morning and saw gave about to cross the Rd to ao must have got around the city a bit lol

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A premiership any year is a good premiership (this year?) but there’s just something about 2014 specifically that would have made it a uniquely special flag for us 😔
New oval, unrivaled game day experience. Not only would we have swept SA for supporters, it was a one time only opportunity to grab supporters around the country that weren't strongly associated with any other team. With the feels we would have gotten there we'd have had sponsors lining up out the door. I don't think it's hyperbole to state between the 2014 GF and now the club would have brought in at least (at a bare minimum) $20 million more in Memberships and sponsorships if we'd won the flag that year.

New oval, unrivaled game day experience. Not only would we have swept SA for supporters, it was a one time only opportunity to grab supporters around the country that weren't strongly associated with any other team. With the feels we would have gotten there we'd have had sponsors lining up out the door. I don't think it's hyperbole to state between the 2014 GF and now the club would have brought in at least (at a bare minimum) $20 million more in Memberships and sponsorships if we'd won the flag that year.

It was also just the journey. From rock bottom on and off the field, John McCarthy, etc. Start of 2013, new coach, win the first 5, qualify for finals, win a final. Into 2014, new home ground, win 10 of the first 11 or whatever it was, 2 amazing finals wins ... everything seemed to go from strength to strength to strength in such rapid succession, almost impossibly so. It just didn't quite get there unfortunately.

To add another sliding door to the patio, I’ve always thought Paul Chapman would have kicked that goal.

We were a young team so it was understandable that we didn’t go after him at the time but given the list churn since there really wouldn’t have been any harm. Cam Hitchcock was still on the list in 2014.

It’s not Andrew Moore’s fault but he was the wrong person in the right place at the right time.

Not many players are kicking that goal to begin with and even fewer in the circumstances. I don’t blame Moore at all.

We should’ve been miles ahead by quarter time. I can’t remember all the misses but Polec’s sticks in my mind as being very gettable, the same as Hoon’s miss in the first quarter against Geelong in the 2013 SF. You just gotta nail those easy ones and put your ascendancy on the scoreboard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol, we had players miss sitters in the first quarter but let's blame the guy who failed to make a difficult shot late in the final quarter for the loss.
Especially Schulz!

To add another sliding door to the patio, I’ve always thought Paul Chapman would have kicked that goal.

We were a young team so it was understandable that we didn’t go after him at the time but given the list churn since there really wouldn’t have been any harm. Cam Hitchcock was still on the list in 2014.

It’s not Andrew Moore’s fault but he was the wrong person in the right place at the right time.
Hard on the boundary with a minute left is never the right place or time

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Especially Schulz!
Schulz missed one easy one and I remember two hard ones, one from boundary and one from beyond 50 and he was never a long kicker.

No doubt us not being able to train on the MCG before GameDay would have hurt his usually methodical goal kicking preparation.

I remember Wingard intercepting a kick out, then playing on for no reason to do a banana kick 20m in front and missing. I forgive skill errors but that was all in the decision making.

Schulz missed one easy one and I remember two hard ones, one from boundary and one from beyond 50 and he was never a long kicker.

No doubt us not being able to train on the MCG before GameDay would have hurt his usually methodical goal kicking preparation.

I remember Wingard intercepting a kick out, then playing on for no reason to do a banana kick 20m in front and missing. I forgive skill errors but that was all in the decision making.

I actually said the same thing as he missed them, you could see that Roughead knew the ground conditions better (he kicked from similar spots).

I haven't actually watched the game on TV, being there was painful enough!

Any Vics arguing that knowledge of the MCG doesn't count in finals needs a kick in the nethers!

I actually said the same thing as he missed them, you could see that Roughead knew the ground conditions better (he kicked from similar spots).

I haven't actually watched the game on TV, being there was painful enough!

Any Vics arguing that knowledge of the MCG doesn't count in finals needs a kick in the nethers

And there's no way Roughead was a better set shot than Schulz all things being even.

]I reckon I'd rather rewatch the whole 2007 grand final than the first quarter of the prelim.

Last edited:
Also regarding Schulz, he only had one more shot after quarter time, and what a surprise, straight through the middle.

The benefits of a bit of practise.

Any Vics arguing that knowledge of the MCG doesn't count in finals needs a kick in the nethers!
Every non-Vic side should play there at least twice a year, instead of shunted off to Tasmania, Ballarat, Alice or the innumerable games at leg wreck stadium (Marvel). Along with they should be able to train there before every game they play in Victoria, whether the game is at the MCG or elsewhere. Plus training there in the pre-finals break week. If the cluster* of GF's at the MCG until the Sun consumes the earth remains, players of non-Vic sides should at least get many more chances to train there (and if that means less training on the MCG by Victorian teams due to time constraints, all the better for evening the playing field).

Had no idea the Burgoyne Bros were 2nd gen Port players (Thus making Trent a 3rd gen Port player).

Peter snr., a 175cm 69kg half forward from Port Lincoln. Played 2 league games in 1977.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back