Preview Round 6: Essendon vs North Melbourne, Carrara, 11/07/2020 @ 7:40PM

Who won't have less points at the end of the game? (Who wins?)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're aiming to be consistent. North are incredibly weak at the moment. If we want to be serious, then we should be winning these games by 4-5 goals. Even Gold Coast do it. Mentioning it on a forum isn't suddenly going to change how we play.

I agree about the margin and winning, but if the club is serious Zaharakis should be dropped because of his low level of output all year.
I can only conclude the club is not very serious.

Honestly though what are the boxes that zaharakis is ticking to get a game week in week out. Would love to know. How can they keep a straight face when dropping other blokes, while telling zaharakis he’s kept his spot. Surely it’s embarrassing for him.

I recall in the lead up to the resumption he spent the week before the game against Sydney basically not training at all.

Stephenson owned him last week in the first quarter and his kicking has been really poor since the resumption.
It might be as refresher/reality check but i cant imagine scratch matches will be much better for finding form...

TBF, one thing with this coaching panel is they generally go reasonably like for like. McKenna in means one of the 7 defenders was always in trouble. Redman is #7 in line.

It’s a different issue to Zaka, which is a WTF in and of itself.
Counterpoint: Fantasia ia a forward who played half back. Zaka played forward. Play Fantasia forward, play McKenna as the 7th defender and drop Zaka.

Playing Zaka so poorly out of form, when you could play him in some scratch matches up there and let him get some touch. Looking like only 6 defenders so I’m assuming he will play defence again? Which he was poor the week before.

The forward line is a huge worry. The talls McKernan, Laverde and Townsend doesn’t look like it will hit the scoreboard enough. Fantasia is still building fitness and touch, not expecting many from him.

This is a very arrogant team selection, add to that a typical greasy deck on the Gold Coast and a Norf team coming off a bad loss who love to get up for this game. This has a classic Essington performance written all over it.

I don't care that Redman was dropped if they deem his performances not up to standard but the mixed messages on form in regards to Zaharakis is disgusting.

I guarantee Cahill, Mozzie or Begley would outperform Zaharakis in his current role, but he and our other senior players (past and present, been happening for years) get so much latitude with performance.

Honestly though what are the boxes that zaharakis is ticking to get a game week in week out. Would love to know. How can they keep a straight face when dropping other blokes. while telling zaharakis he’s kept his spot. Surely it’s embarrassing for him.
His disposals are pro-rata'd because of shortened quarters. Averaging 7 disposals (pro-rata) hypothetically puts him above the 10 disposal average, which is enough for a senior player at Essendon. Also don't forget that he used 50% of his disposals to kick a goal last week. +1000 credit.

Counterpoint: Fantasia ia a forward who played half back. Zaka played forward. Play Fantasia forward, play McKenna as the 7th defender and drop Zaka.
With Stringer out, Fantasia should be playing forward anyway, without dropping or moving Zaka. I'd like to know what Begley's not doing.

As long as Zaharakis is in the side, we’re not genuinely competing. We’re paying our reparations for the drug saga still; 8 years later. Clarkson dropped Roughead, and we still don’t have a single leader within the club (including the man himself) capable of making the tough call on Zaka. ******* pathetic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately, the only selection surprise was TBC not being named to replace Phillips.... maybe Woosha doesn’t have 100% control of selection any more (only 95%)....
If Rutten used his pull to keep Phillips in instead of getting Zaka out, than I agree he made the right call.

I don't care that Redman was dropped if they deem his performances not up to standard but the mixed messages on form in regards to Zaharakis is disgusting.

I guarantee Cahill, Mozzie or Begley would outperform Zaharakis in his current role, but he and our other senior players (past and present, been happening for years) get so much latitude with performance.

This has been the issue for years, one set of standards for some while others get a run regardless.

As long as Zaharakis is in the side, we’re not genuinely competing. We’re paying our reparations for the drug saga still; 8 years later. Clarkson dropped Roughead, and we still don’t have a single leader within the club (including the man himself) capable of making the tough call on Zaka. ******* pathetic.
Zaka staying in has nothing to do with the Saga, he was never banned. We owe him nothing, unlike 34 other players.

Zaka staying in has nothing to do with the Saga, he was never banned. We owe him nothing, unlike 34 other players.
I’m not sure I suggested Zaka was banned? As a member of the club during the Dank era and subsequent fallout it would be fair to suggest he was significantly impacted by the saga. Unlike others he stayed and he played.

The thing with the Zaka selection for me is not the lack of statistical contribution it's the club accepting his lack of effort. We've all seen wiley old veterans nearing the end find ways to impact a game through sheer desperation to put in.

We aren't getting that here and it's an unacceptable standard being permitted by the match committee, the coaches etc. Just a bad message from a 'leader' to the younger group IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back