Golf Golf Clubs/Equipment Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

The knock down shots are pure practice, once you get confident with them, you will barely play another full approach from inside of 130m.

The longer the golf swing, the more out of plane and the more can go wrong with it.

You will find if you are using knock downs you will get consistently in the same area a lot more than full approach shots.

Depending on your ball striking and swing speed, they are literally an extension of a chip most times with a slightly faster swing speed.
I am actually really very good at it (was kind of joking about being too hard), but only do it with my 56...never tried the less lofted wedges. I would rather do it than hit a full 60 degree. Love the ball flight and stops on a dime on the second bounce. Played a cracker doing that a week ago about a 50m shot to 2 feet for a ripper up and down. I used to do pitch and putt (when my kid was just starting golf) a lot and would only take the 56 and putter...all holes were from 40 to 60m so I got very comfortable playing it a bit off the back foot and being able to control those distances. My Handicap was 2.7 at Pitch and putt....and my one and only ace happened there lol.

Last edited:
I am actually really very good at it (was kind of joking about being too hard), but only do it with my 56...never tried the less lofted wedges. I would rather do it than hit a full 60 degree. Love the ball flight and stops on a dime on the second bounce. Played a cracker doing that a week ago about a 50m shot to 2 feet for a ripper up and down.

I generally drive the ball 280-300 depending on conditions and I hit my 9iron around 150-160.

I'd still say I hit my 9i or PW as much as any high wedge from the 100-70m range.

Both clubs are more forgiving than a wedge, as they are a cavity back from my general set.

I've found the knock downs work best for these clubs, as the ball just flies off of blades/CB/MB irons, so I've found they are the sweet spot for these knock downs as, like I said before, I generally am just playing a slightly longer chip, the clubs do the rest.

A knockdown of 6i or 7i is a very underused shot as well for most people, which I use quite a bit on flatter holes with no bunkering, slopes etc protecting the front of greens.

Basically, you will dramatically increase the odds of getting a GIR from a quality drive if you are playing within yourself, with a slightly longer club, but a more compact economical swing (*Depending on the course conditions and green layout of course).

I played a lot of the sandbelt courses in competitive golf growing up. Tiger Woods struggles to hold the green with a full blown wedge on a fully baked sandbelt green, so when playing those courses you learn to think differently.

Having played quite a bit in Scotland and Ireland, it translates well there as well, particularly in Scotland where the fairways are clay based and mimic the hume highway some days.

A knockdown of 6i or 7i is a very underused shot as well for most people, which I use quite a bit on flatter holes with no bunkering, slopes etc protecting the front of green.

I know this shot well...the amount of times in my lifetime I have had to play from under trees with low limbs to consider!

Basically, you will dramatically increase the odds of getting a GIR from a quality drive if you are playing within yourself, with a slightly longer club, but a more compact economical swing (*Depending on the course conditions and green layout of course).

I am getting on a bit now so this is actually very sound advice for me going forward.

I hit my PW between 95-110 depending on the swing, but for my 54 and 60 I struggle to get that 70-100m distances, they just go straight up for me, obviously a swing fault but if I swing them hard they just loop high and short.
Do you know what the loft is of your PW? Every chance it might be natural and you just have a big gap between your PW and other wedges.

Club manufacturers continue to decrease lofts in clubs to give people the illusion that their new clubs are going further.

504502632b69ca1c210ac56883c90f74_1525680567_712.jpg

I generally drive the ball 280-300 depending on conditions and I hit my 9iron around 150-160.

I'd still say I hit my 9i or PW as much as any high wedge from the 100-70m range.

Both clubs are more forgiving than a wedge, as they are a cavity back from my general set.

I've found the knock downs work best for these clubs, as the ball just flies off of blades/CB/MB irons, so I've found they are the sweet spot for these knock downs as, like I said before, I generally am just playing a slightly longer chip, the clubs do the rest.

A knockdown of 6i or 7i is a very underused shot as well for most people, which I use quite a bit on flatter holes with no bunkering, slopes etc protecting the front of greens.

I played a lot of the sandbelt courses in competitive golf growing up. Tiger Woods struggles to hold the green with a full blown wedge on a fully baked sandbelt green, so when playing those courses you learn to think differently.

Having played quite a bit in Scotland and Ireland, it translates well there as well, particularly in Scotland where the fairways are clay based and mimic the hume highway some days.
I find I make really good contact with a knockdown, but they can come out too hot. I typically only play them in the wind or if my full swing has packed it in. I find that I need to land the ball just in or before the green which can cause issues in the wet (stopping short) or dry (running through).

Do you know what the loft is of your PW? Every chance it might be natural and you just have a big gap between your PW and other wedges.

Club manufacturers continue to decrease lofts in clubs to give people the illusion that their new clubs are going further.

View attachment 917108
Off the top of my head, my PW is 46 or 48 from memory. So my gapping is a 46/48 PW, then 54 and 60.

View attachment 917108
46 pw

Before the virus, I did my own gap testing at the range using the toptracer app. Works well, averages carry distance over 5 shots with each club and records ball speed, launch angle, land angle and height and total distance. Pretty good for the price of a bucket of balls. Only caveat is measured using range balls, so could be out by 10% according to the staff at the range.

PW (45*) 103
50* 90
56* 69 (nice)
60* 58

View attachment 917108
100%. Manufacturers have to make you think their latest equipment is better than last year's model.

I find the key to playing those lower shots (well all shots, but it is easier on short shots) is to keep the right hand really quiet...and bent (like your palm is going to the ball) through impact to finish...almost like you are playing a topspin forehand in tennis or TT. Was always a good visual for me.
I think of it similar, but a bit more of a straight bat block in cricket

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 917108
100%. Manufacturers have to make you think their latest equipment is better than last year's model.
My new Cleveland Launcher UHX irons has the PW at 44* (my old PW was 48*). The lofts on all the clubs are lower but I’m not getting much more distance. The launch as the name says is true but I’ve always got reasonable height from my irons.

View attachment 917108

Mine have even stronger lofts - my 4 iron is 19 degrees, 7 is at a low 28 degrees. They're a forgiving club and it helps a hacker like me get that extra distance.

PW - 43
GW - 48
52, 56, 60

I've now got decent separation of loft (5 degrees max) between each club.

Carrying 5 wedges means I go from Driver (9 degrees, could go down to 8 or up to 11) to a 3 Hybrid (adjusted down to 15.5 from 17) without a 3 wood. Then 4-PW + wedges and putter.

If I'm playing aggressive and hit the driver well, I hardly touch the long irons/hybrid. If I'm playing safe I'll take the 6 iron off the tee and keep it in play.

PW - 43
GW - 48
52, 56, 60

I've now got decent separation of loft (5 degrees max) between each club.

Carrying 5 wedges means I go from Driver (9 degrees, could go down to 8 or up to 11) to a 3 Hybrid (adjusted down to 15.5 from 17) without a 3 wood. Then 4-PW + wedges and putter.

If I'm playing aggressive and hit the driver well, I hardly touch the long irons/hybrid. If I'm playing safe I'll take the 6 iron off the tee and keep it in play.
Exactly the same set up as mine...except your 3 hybrid...I got a 4 wood. Lofts are the same.

What do you play off?

What do you play off?

GA is 2.2 atm.

But im clubless at the moment and can probably count the rounds I've played on one hand this year with 2 kids under 2.5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back