Autopsy Rd 9 - If only games went for 1 quarter aka Still the Hawks bunnies

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we finally waking up to the fact Newnes is terrible? Kicks 2 goals , 1 of which was pure luck, and does nothing else. As a winger..

He wasn't the only one but my gosh I want to hear someone defend his game. Anyone?
He kicked 2 goals and again was good for carlton. Seemed like everyone was down so why go picking on him...

Kennedy is also our 3rd best mid once you figure out that curnow is a tagger, martin is a relief mid and murph is cooked...doesn't leave alot of options until we develop some kids or land a trade.
Very sad isn't it -- but let's by a forward pocket ..

Look last week I said we need to move past a tagger to become elite -- someone said Shaun hart yes he won a norm Smith and progressed from a pocket -- but 1 he was good disposed of the ball very neat --2 he was surrounded by good ball user --3 they could of won without him tagging if all fit and if they were fit you could put him somewhere else he would win.. I think biggest thing GWS did wrong is wanting to tag -- run with as a positive like steel or HART different to Ed -- he can have more disposal but many turnover ..
Fair call. Ed is there for now and the immediate future. He has done pretty well to date and was far from our worst today. Find another target...

No I mean they haven't been playing this way during all of Clarkson's reign AFAIK, and in the time they have they've not been particularly successful.

Through the regular season, you're going to win more than you lose if you let the other team make mistakes and intelligently capitalise, because you're just waiting for them to over-commit. As you move into the finals, and you face the more talented, more seasoned and more in-form teams of the competitions, less mistakes are made and execution is bolder.

Counter-attack strategies rely on the opposition being fools: if there's no fools, there's no strategy.

I totally disagree with this, I don’t have stats to go off, just what I remember being the case and how I remember viewing the Hawks. I always thought they played a style that were happy to let the opposition get a clearance or a quick possession under pressure, creat a turnover and capitalise. I know I’m simplifying but i thought this was a general view.

Our guys aren't exactly sprinting to cover opponents are they?
It was the story of the night. Whether the cause was being too slow, spent or desire, we just let them find space all night and rarely presented options with ball on hand.

Skills are going to look bad when your first option is 3 opposition surrounding Gibbons.

Have you seen how many 30+ players still carry their side? Empty shell within 2 years and routinely flogged will be bottom 4 for 5 years or more.

I have seen that they have quite an old team. Have you seen their midfield? Very good, not old, well coached, good ruckman, Sicily is a good player down back and Wingard up forward.
I don’t think they will be good this year or next, but I think they won’t take long to improve, because they have the part that wins you most games locked in.

Yeah it gets a bit boring when people want to blame the likes of Plowman and Newnes. Plowman is a good player who plays a tough role and Newnes is playing a role. Our senior core had absolutely no composure, some of the decision making was diabolical. Cripps, Murphy, Docherty etc. Our midfield today was terrible, our better players (with the exception of Weitering and Martin) were terrible. It seems pointless to even mention Newnes or even Moore.

Anyone who read the Richmond board at the start of 2017 would know that probably 12 of their premiership players were absolute whipping boys with many fans (Ellis, Grigg, Townsend, Houli etc) “We aren’t going anywhere with softcocks Houli and Ellis”. Honestly, look at how limited some of their players are, there are so many players in that team that you could individually insert into our team and would immediately be whipping boys “we aren’t going anywhere with that premiership Richmond player in our team“

We need our better players to stand up. We need a few more of our youngsters to become great players. We need a composed and uncompromising leadership group or else we are going nowhere.
Richmond made finals 3 times before 2017....that is how far Carlton is off the pace in a comparison with pre premership tigers

Would you rather him punch plaster walls like scott or clarkson? Blame umpires?
Not sure how you've escalated to that line of thinking. Telling the supporters it was an unacceptable performance would be a good start.

Also, the coach who did punch a plaster wall just coached his team to a huge win after being behind 31-0. I'm sure he was calm as at QTR time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We could cry all we want but truth is -- today is an inflection point we needed -- Teague will look in the mirror -- faith in certain players got him a job but he must move on from that -- if he is a good coach -- he will reshuffle the cattle he has and go home no worse than 50/50.. he will know this in his own mind -- if he can't do it we in for a painful experience .. and no matter how much we vent such is life -- like Goodwin Shaw nicks .. they know what they get this last few week will define what coming -- Goodwin can't sleep

It’s hard to see clearly in the middle of a haze.

however. compare the pace of these blokes:

Grimes, Short, Broad, Edwards Macintosh

vs

SPS, Simmo, Plow, Doc and Willo.

Maybe I am over simplifying it. But when our high press fails we literally have NO ONE capable of running a guy down.

When the Tiger press fails the above mentioned players just swarm back and shut everyhting down.

So to be clear until we address this deficiency we will be erratic because we succeed when our press rarely shuts down.

We have over come this glaring deficiency by having a spare back (Doc). BUT this tactic has been worked out and is now blocked by our opponents who man him up.

This isn’t a crisis. It’s fixable. But it can’t be ignored. We will remain erratic until we address the pace in the mid/small backs.
The mechanics are fixable (fitness, right players etc) but the dynamics( desire, discipline, competitivness) is a different question

Just realised this and sorry if it has been said... but we were up early by 31 points.... hawks ended up winning the game by 31 points.... the date today is the 31st....it was ment to be. We live in the matrix

Worse still, today is Friday and 31 in reverse is 13; Friday the 13. That's eery

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back