Autopsy Dogs lack spark v Port Power, 55-42 loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Commiserations guys, you took it up to us and if not for inaccurate kicking could have easily gone the other way. You desperately need a forward but I feel like you guys have screamed out for one for the last decade. Good luck for the rest of the season.

JJ - I’d honestly be happy to never see him in a dogs jumper again. Turning the ball over once like that is bad enough, he did it twice and then kicked oof to allow another goal. Seriously, without him playing the dogs win that game.

But that’s also the straw that broke the camel’s back with Bevo for me. We’ve survived insane MC decisions that set the team up to fail - Gowers, Gardner, no ruck to support English, small defence and forward line - and a defensive structure that allows for consistent, easy out the back goals. But consistently putting elite midfielders into the ruck and risking injury is mind-boggling. If you don’t care about the ruck don’t contest it instead of this s**t. Macrae in the ruck? ******* nonsense.

There are no AFL coaches that would contemplate consistently allowing their elite mids to contest the ruck. That doesn’t make Bevo a trendsetter or a savant, it shows that it’s idiotic.

Bruce, as bad as he was tonight, could do with another tall down there. Not making excuses, but he’s on a hiding to nothing down there. JJ on the other hand - words fail me.

Charlie Dixon plays as the sole tall for port. He doesn't turn his back on the high ball coming in.

All the excuses for Bruce.

Basically he is out of form, and is barely getting near it. I think he is being coached to halve contests rather than winning them. Charlie dixon is out to win them. Big difference.

When your midfield is getting mosr of the ball in the first half.
You need to capitalize.Simple as that.
Not being proactive with selection cost us again.
Making excuses for Bruce last week was a cop out.IMO

Must have been watching a different game to you we looked nothing like a top 4 side even if we had those 2 we have so many issues in our team atm
We lost by a couple of goals to the side that’s on the top of the ladder mate. this season is completely open this year. You can’t tell me Naughton and Hunter wouldn’t have made a difference?

Remember when Zaine Cordy had a role to prevent oppo marks up forward and it meant our great midfield could get us territory and all we had to do was bring heaps of pressure? I think it was in a finals series . Wouldn’t have minded seeing that in this time without Naughton. Could’ve put Trengove back and simplified the style a bit.

that sounds too simple for Bevo though.

He’s doing a bad job. Needs another miracle second half of the year to make me look silly and frankly is that even good enough?
Check the top teams, they all play differently to us. Structured and balanced with talls at both ends and a strong ruckman. Bev is back in 2017 and has not made adjustments to the style of game that is now winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the crumbs of info about who is currently available that the club deigns to give its supporter base, its hard to fathom how they think a team with one genuine key defender and a hopelessly out of sorts key forward can win actually a game. When you deliberately choose not to have somebody capable or relieving in the ruck or just creating a marking contest around the ground you inevitably have to resort to rotating your three best mids as relief ruckman for long periods and when you do that, You have all but thrown the game away. It was no fault of the Bont, Dunkley nor Macrae's hitherto unknown ruck craft that Port gained ascendency in the second half when English was off the ground or behind the ball. The poor bastard is being ground into the turf and just isn't equiped to ruck week in week out for an entire game right now. The fault lays squarely at the feet of Luke Beveridge and his often unfathomable team selection. 19 utilities, 1 kpd, a ruckman that at best broke even for a half and whatever Josh Bruce is doing right now is not going to get the job done.

Commiserations guys, you took it up to us and if not for inaccurate kicking could have easily gone the other way. You desperately need a forward but I feel like you guys have screamed out for one for the last decade. Good luck for the rest of the season.
We thought we had one in Bruce then his partner Naughton went down.

Pretty simple isn’t it, when you have two dangerous talls you force the defenders to make decisions. Right now it’s a basic plan, they just go to Bruce and spoil/mark the high ball

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Exactly. Need another one to spread the defenders. Schache, Lew Young. But the coach doesn’t see it, even though it sticks out like canine testicles the size of Uluru!

Charlie Dixon plays as the sole tall for port. He doesn't turn his back on the high ball coming in.

All the excuses for Bruce.

Basically he is out of form, and is barely getting near it. I think he is being coached to halve contests rather than winning them. Charlie dixon is out to win them. Big difference.

Westoff is there as well as Georgiades who can clunk them.

Absolutely no comparison. Normally has Marshall as well.

I’ve never witnessed a group of fans who do t understand the rules more than Port. It’s genuinely incredible

Who?

We have a number of talls on our list that don’t get game
This makes it hard to tell just how good they can be
Richmond play with a 3-2-2 structure lets follow that
If our talls aren’t good enough recruit more

Your marking power and pressure was immense, we couldn't find a way to quell it

Hope Charlie wins the Coleman and is AA CHF this year, he's beast when he's up and going

I said it last week and I'll say it again:

Out: Wood

Hurts me to say it but will keep on saying it until he gains form or we don't have Williams or Crozier in the team. They are both ahead of him and I'd rather play La.Young or Trengove down there for variety.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back