Positives and Negatives vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

That went pretty much exactly how everyone thought it would. A frustrating, ugly, game that we win, but not as well as we would have liked.

+ Naitanui, Sheed were very good.

+ Darling, Shep, Shuey, Kelly, Yeo, Cripps, Nelson, Gaff, JK, Barrass and Hurn in patches and to varying degrees.

+ Maybe Rotham’s best game. Was reliable and some good intercept marking.

+ Deficits clearly don’t scare this team. It would be nice not to have them, but it’s good to know we can flick the switch.

- I’ve never seen O.Allen miss so many marks. Flew for anything and missed just about everything.

- Ryan was injured and/or terrible. And Cameron is either unfit or completely out of form/confidence. Either way we had no pressure inside the 50, the ball just bounced out.

- Umpiring was bad. Looked like we had the B team out there. That boundary line OOTF with Yeo and the three umpires was ridiculous Marx brothers-esque pantomime.

Negativity aside, a wins a win, but I won’t be watching the replay.

Would love to know how many HTA's Naitanui had this game.

I think Gawn has the record, but it felt like every single hitout went to an Eagles player.

I've never seen such silver service tap ruck dominance before.

NN was great throughout but I thought it took a half for the mids to really rise to his level. Looked silky from Q3

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Eagles at Optus this year.

Won the free kick count twice, drawn twice, lost once (2-2-1).

+3 differential at Optus on the season. A massive 0.6 extra frees per game.

At this point nothing less than a Royal Commission into this flagrant cheating is acceptable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles at Optus this year.

Won the free kick count twice, drawn twice, lost once (2-2-1).

+3 differential at Optus on the season. A massive 0.6 extra frees per game.

At this point nothing less than a Royal Commission into this flagrant cheating is acceptable.

I can understand some of the angst. The umps paid some weirdly soft and confusing frees early on, which can be further confused on a wet deck when they have been known to understand the conditions and give players an extra 5-10% knowing it'll be a slog.

But then they put the whistle away in a bizarre over correction and barely paid anything. And then we got a gift or two.

SPS would be reeling. Shuey spun 360 out of a CBD but I'd argue the tackle wasn't controlled, so it's kind of like when Dusty is given time to walk through a tackle and break free (however if we spun someone 360 I'd be screaming for a free)

NN took possession from the ruck contest a lot, and then just kind of wrestled his way through until he dropped it. Again I'd expect a free if we applied that pressure, but oppo mids have been getting away with the 'drop the ball' in a tackle since the Doggies in 2016. It just feels odd we didn't get pinged for it.

All in all a very weird display from the umps. Maybe they're cooked from hubbing too? They only do this part time, and I'm guessing this year they've put work on hold to umpire exclusively without family? I dunno. We're all cooked. Been a big year.

I can understand some of the angst. The umps paid some weirdly soft and confusing frees early on, which can be further confused on a wet deck when they have been known to understand the conditions and give players an extra 5-10% knowing it'll be a slog.

But then they put the whistle away in a bizarre over correction and barely paid anything. And then we got a gift or two.

SPS would be reeling. Shuey spun 360 out of a CBD but I'd argue the tackle wasn't controlled, so it's kind of like when Dusty is given time to walk through a tackle and break free (however if we spun someone 360 I'd be screaming for a free)

NN took possession from the ruck contest a lot, and then just kind of wrestled his way through until he dropped it. Again I'd expect a free if we applied that pressure, but oppo mids have been getting away with the 'drop the ball' in a tackle since the Doggies in 2016. It just feels odd we didn't get pinged for it.

All in all a very weird display from the umps. Maybe they're cooked from hubbing too? They only do this part time, and I'm guessing this year they've put work on hold to umpire exclusively without family? I dunno. We're all cooked. Been a big year.
Weird it was, but a few other recent games (no ours in particular) have been far worse.

+ve
Ran over a team after giving up a lead.
Pressure in the 2nd half was elite.
That 15 minutes of silk where we kicked 5 was fantastic.
Defence was decent without Gov again.
-ve
2nd quarter wasn't great.
Ryan wasn't fit so his output was well down.
Still have some issues with the connection between mids and fwd line. Wasn't consistent throughout the game.
Good win despite not a 4 quarter performance.

+ Carlton were great, as were Geelong last week. It was nice to beat the Crows, Swans, Dockers and an undermanned Collingwood, but to come from behind two weeks in a row against decent sides who played well is even better. You just get a feeling we'll find a way to win in a close final.

Umpires missed several free kicks to the Blues. Probably 5 off the top of my head.

Wish it wasn't the case, and doesn't mean it cost them the game obviously, but it should be acknowledged.

SPS holding the ball free and resulting 50 was a total joke. If that was one of our players this whole board would be ropeable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back