List Mgmt. 2020 Trade/FA TARGETS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade hypotheticals and discussion of how you think or want a trade to happen go here - 2020 FA, Draft and Trade HYPOTHETICAL thread.

If you want to talk about a current Hawthorn player and if they’re staying on the list, it goes here - Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Trade/FA targets thread is for discussion of News about players we are to target via trade of FA. It’s not for “Kane Cornes says we should get this player”.

The fact our list has the ability to pivot that drastically is another absolute master class from GW and Hawthorn.

We now have a solid core of 26 yr olds to partner with the draftees for the next 5 years.

The fact our list has the ability to pivot that drastically is another absolute master class from GW and Hawthorn.

We now have a solid core of 26 yr olds to partner with the draftees for the next 5 years.

Spot on, we can target out of favour 21-24yo’s due to aggressive list culls could set us up. For mine a lot of our older players have dragged us down in a horrible year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We literally played 11 players in 2005 who had not played in 2004. We also played 7 players in 2006 who had not played in 2005. Not necessarily debutants in all cases but most were, or at least debut for the club. That is 18 players in two years (Ben Kane left off that list hence 17 players only). Quite a dramatic change.

View attachment 949779
A lot of those players there are over 21 by the time Clarko got there.
The point l made is that rookie players you'e be hard pressed to find more than 3 first year as in debut players in the side then.
& yes our list probably needs that much of an upgrade again!
Players like Ross, Moore etc who have not yet played or little game time & been on the list for like over 5 years. I think aren't up to it.

The point l made is that rookie players you'e be hard pressed to find more than 3 first year as in debut players in the side then.
Players like Ross, Moore etc who have not yet played or little game time & been on the list for like over 5 years. I think aren't up to it.
Ross and Moore have been on the list for 3 years

We only bring in 3-5 players a year through the draft. By your definition it is just physically impossibly to play more than that. But yeah as I said 18 developing players blooded over 2 years is an extreme amount.

I suspect the club will try and trade for a youngster similar to scrimshaw who has been in the system for a few years and has done the weight programs and knows the AFL landscape.

That will do just fine.
Scrimshaw and Impey have been great.
Amon was oh so close.
If we can get 2-3 players like that it will make a big difference.

Probably the wrong thread but with a handful or less games to go when do players start announcing their retirements. I understand that list sizes and salarycaps for 2021 are not forthcoming yet but players that are done are done regardless.

This is more of a hypothetical (apologies) but its no secret North want to trade Polec and his huge contract off their books (rumoured to be 700-800k with 3 years left) as they look to rebuild. The question I have is would anyone entertain trading Ceglar for Polec? One would assume Cegs is not on huge coin and only has 2 years left on his deal. Cegs has a lot of close mates at North so probably wouldn't be opposed to a trade there. Yes Hawthorn would be taking on more money and an extra year but we also get to trade away a player that is clearly not a #1 ruck and wildly inconsistent.

Hawthorn
Pros

Bring in some run / dash off of half back
Rid themselves of a player that clearly isn't a #1 ruck

Cons
Is it worth brining in a player while we are rebuilding?

North
Pros

Rid themselves of a player on big $$$ they don't want

Cons
Could very well trade Polec for a better return?

I'm more in the camp of us rebuilding and looking to add hidden gems like the Scrimshaw deal but they are not easy to find. I kind of feel the above proposed trade would be an addition by subtraction and could benefit both teams. North get to cut ties with Polec and the money his owed and we do likewise with Ceglar. We would obviously need to address our need for a ruckman via trade as well (Nankervis / Preuss?).

I’d take Polec if norf pay most the salary, I’d give up a late 2nd

if norf pay the majority of the salary we cough up a higher draft pick. Personally I’d take on most of that salary and offer them a 3rd or 4th. We have to pay 95% of the cap and I can’t see us justifiably getting there on what I’ve seen from our lost.

this is in no way me wanting Polec but if Clarko does a crazy vossy I’d prefer not paying a high draft pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally ceglar’s best 2 options are western bulldogs because I don’t think English can actually ruck and GWS. They’re the 2 clubs I would be engaging with if I were looking at trading ceglar.
This would be a great scenario in dealing with the Giants & trying to incorporate Ceglar in a trade for either Caldwell or Hately.

Personally ceglar’s best 2 options are western bulldogs because I don’t think English can actually ruck and GWS. They’re the 2 clubs I would be engaging with if I were looking at trading ceglar.
Ceglar has not really improved his trade currency this season.

Wouldn’t get much for him you’d think.

Idk Um maybe our best ruck McEvoy Who had 17 hitouts to advantage last time he rucked. Also can pick up a Preuss or nank who are major upgrades to ceglar the spud
Will be playing more in defence as his career wind downs.

Ideally we need someone in the 22-25 age bracket. Preuss is ok, but think we can do better.

Idk Um maybe our best ruck McEvoy Who had 17 hitouts to advantage last time he rucked. Also can pick up a Preuss or nank who are major upgrades to ceglar the spud
He is struggling to back up week to week. I wouldn't trade Ceglar unless we could secure a replacement. And ruckman always cost more than you think to bring in.

Will be playing more in defence as his career wind downs.

Ideally we need someone in the 22-25 age bracket. Preuss is ok, but think we can do better.
Ruckman are generally s**t before 25. If we really rate Reaves, we just need someone who can play 1 ruck for 2 years and maybe 2 ruck for a couple more. A 25 year old would be ideal.

This is more of a hypothetical (apologies) but its no secret North want to trade Polec and his huge contract off their books (rumoured to be 700-800k with 3 years left) as they look to rebuild. The question I have is would anyone entertain trading Ceglar for Polec? One would assume Cegs is not on huge coin and only has 2 years left on his deal. Cegs has a lot of close mates at North so probably wouldn't be opposed to a trade there. Yes Hawthorn would be taking on more money and an extra year but we also get to trade away a player that is clearly not a #1 ruck and wildly inconsistent.

Hawthorn
Pros

Bring in some run / dash off of half back
Rid themselves of a player that clearly isn't a #1 ruck

Cons
Is it worth brining in a player while we are rebuilding?

North
Pros

Rid themselves of a player on big $$$ they don't want

Cons
Could very well trade Polec for a better return?

I'm more in the camp of us rebuilding and looking to add hidden gems like the Scrimshaw deal but they are not easy to find. I kind of feel the above proposed trade would be an addition by subtraction and could benefit both teams. North get to cut ties with Polec and the money his owed and we do likewise with Ceglar. We would obviously need to address our need for a ruckman via trade as well (Nankervis / Preuss?).

Can we throw in Scully?

We can't trade the only other ruckman we have unless we have another lined up. Reeves is miles off.

This is going to be somewhat of a hot take but I don't think Reeves is that far off the development curve of standard rucks. I know it's hard to shake the nepotism tag but the kid has tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back