List Mgmt. 2020 Draft (December 9) discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Our currently owned picks:

24 - Blake Coleman
43 - Harry Sharp
48 - Henry Smith

Our currently owned 2021 picks:

1st (MEL), 1st (BRI), 3rd (WCE), 3rd (BRI), 4th (MEL), 4th (COL), 5th (BRI)

Last edited:
Liked the sound of this guy-
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2020/09/07/draft-central-power-rankings-september-2020/

#11 Nathan O’Driscoll
Perth/Western Australia | Midfielder/Defender
17/05/2002 | 187cm | 76kg

One of Western Australia’s leading prospects is O’Driscoll, a hard-at-it inside midfielder who can also double as a damaging half-back or wingman. The 187cm Perth Demons product was a standout at Colts level last year, while also breaking through for three outings in the Black Ducks’ Under 18 National Championships campaign as a bottom-ager. Having learnt off the likes of former Perth teammate and Brisbane draftee, Deven Robertson, O’Driscoll is primed to become a permanent midfield fixture haven already proven his ball winning capabilities. His penetrating boot and speed-endurance mix make him a prospect with many desirable traits, not to mention his older sister, Emma is already plying her trade at AFLW level for Fremantle.

August Ranking: #13

Last Month: After his third and final Colts outing in early-August, O’Driscoll earned a Reserves berth in Round 5, before being immediately promoted to the League side. After a steady debut, O’Driscoll has racked up 20 and 15 disposals over the last fortnight, benefitting from being allowed an extended run through midfield. The 18-year-old has showcased his toughness and hard-running ability at senior level, leaving nothing left in the tank. He works hard for his possessions and is equally as relevant in his defensive duties for the most part. There has been some conjecture about his range, we feel his current form and future scope lands him just outside the top 10.

Liked the sound of this guy-
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2020/09/07/draft-central-power-rankings-september-2020/

#11 Nathan O’Driscoll
Perth/Western Australia | Midfielder/Defender
17/05/2002 | 187cm | 76kg

One of Western Australia’s leading prospects is O’Driscoll, a hard-at-it inside midfielder who can also double as a damaging half-back or wingman. The 187cm Perth Demons product was a standout at Colts level last year, while also breaking through for three outings in the Black Ducks’ Under 18 National Championships campaign as a bottom-ager. Having learnt off the likes of former Perth teammate and Brisbane draftee, Deven Robertson, O’Driscoll is primed to become a permanent midfield fixture haven already proven his ball winning capabilities. His penetrating boot and speed-endurance mix make him a prospect with many desirable traits, not to mention his older sister, Emma is already plying her trade at AFLW level for Fremantle.

August Ranking: #13

Last Month: After his third and final Colts outing in early-August, O’Driscoll earned a Reserves berth in Round 5, before being immediately promoted to the League side. After a steady debut, O’Driscoll has racked up 20 and 15 disposals over the last fortnight, benefitting from being allowed an extended run through midfield. The 18-year-old has showcased his toughness and hard-running ability at senior level, leaving nothing left in the tank. He works hard for his possessions and is equally as relevant in his defensive duties for the most part. There has been some conjecture about his range, we feel his current form and future scope lands him just outside the top 10.
How many inside midfielders do we need? I'd rather go after someone who is more naturally suited to half-back or the wing.
O’Driscoll would be a significant upgrade on Ely Smith and CEY.

Those height and weight are from preseason testing, and there’s a fair bit of discussion that he’s grown and up close to 190cm.

He’s fast and agile, can play inside and out, and we really don’t have his type in our midfield.

The only “downside” is that he’s a kid.

We currently have two first round picks. If O’Driscoll was there at our first pick, he’d be best on board, no brainer, selection.

There will hopefully still be outside type mids available at our second pick.

Speculation that the league won’t allow nga bids in the first round of the draft. So you bid on an nga player in the first round, you keep him.

From Jon Ralph

“The league has told its 18 clubs that the next generation academies for 14 clubs would be incorporated into the AFL pathway system, with only GWS, Sydney, Brisbane and Gold Coast able to keep their academies.”

Speculation that the league won’t allow nga bids in the first round of the draft. So you bid on an nga player in the first round, you keep him.
My take was that this wasn’t going to be starting this year and coming in next year or the year after or am I wrong?

My take was that this wasn’t going to be starting this year and coming in next year or the year after or am I wrong?
Correct.

• The Next Generation Academies - targeting Indigenous and multicultural players – would be implemented by the AFL talent pathway team with support from AFL clubs. "The northern club academies (Sydney, GWS, Brisbane, Gold Coast) will remain the responsibility of the AFL clubs with support to be provided by the AFL. The AFL advised clubs today that there would be no change to the eligibility or concessions available to AFL clubs for NGA approved players at the 2020 NAB AFL Draft".

If you follow the current draft discussions and rankings, there’s every chance this kid could be available at our first pick.

Can play up forward, on a wing and potentially role through the midfield.

When the season got canceled, he contacted Fremantle and asked them for tapes of Nat Fyfe as that’s who he wants to model his game on.

Eddie Ford, Western Jets. 188cm 79kg.

If you follow the current draft discussions and rankings, there’s every chance this kid could be available at our first pick.

When the season got canceled, he contacted Fremantle and asked them for tapes of Nat Fyfe as that’s who he wants to model his game on.

You can definitely see the Fyfe influence in the way he plays.

Looks promising !
Will keep an eye out for both him and Sam Berry now.

You can definitely see the Fyfe influence in the way he plays.
For me, he was the potential the big bolter if he put it all together, and developed consistency in his game. Has the skills and attributes only a couple of others in this draft have.

Looks promising !
Will keep an eye out for both him and Sam Berry now.
Very different players.

Yep, but looks like both will fit a need and might be available at our pick..
Sam Berry would be behind Robertson, as a similar player on our list.

If you wanted to look at another inside mid that would bring something different to our midfield, then I’d be looking at Zavier Maher from the Murray Bushrangers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My biggest takeaway from that was his contested marking and tackling. He is one that has slid down the ‘draft boards’ due to COVID. I think we need more of a few of those more X factor types on our list. I expect Rayner to spend more through the midfield as well over the next few seasons. He kind of reminds me a little bit of McCarthy or even Jamie Elliot.

My biggest takeaway from that was his contested marking and tackling. He is one that has slid down the ‘draft boards’ due to COVID. I think we need more of a few of those more X factor types on our list. I expect Rayner to spend more through the midfield as well over the next few seasons. He kind of reminds me a little bit of McCarthy or even Jamie Elliot.
Yeah, he’s a bit different to Rayner, but possibly has the same ceiling in terms of being able to impact a game.
I believe he’s slid partly because the WA and SA kids who have improved and play a similar style, and partly because he wasn’t very consistent last year. Very big gap between his best and worst.

But he possibly has a higher upside than the players who have climbed up draft boards this year.

It was noticeable last year, compared to similar players in Elijah Hollands and Archie Perkins, he wasn’t at the same level in terms of fitness and body development. Has a similar athletic profile. Get him up to AFL level fitness, and he could be anything.

Yeah, he’s a bit different to Rayner, but possibly has the same ceiling in terms of being able to impact a game.
I believe he’s slid partly because the WA and SA kids who have improved and play a similar style, and partly because he wasn’t very consistent last year. Very big gap between his best and worst.

But he possibly has a higher upside than the players who have climbed up draft boards this year.

It was noticeable last year, compared to similar players in Elijah Hollands and Archie Perkins, he wasn’t at the same level in terms of fitness and body development. Has a similar athletic profile. Get him up to AFL level fitness, and he could be anything.
After some perusing of the draft board and your video link you've sold me on Eddie Ford, definitely worth one of our 1st rounders if he lasts that long.

great comparison, exactly what i was thinking,and based on the footage briztoon provided a great pick up would love this kid on the list.

Fantastic overhead and love the tackling pressure. Definitely Fyfe esque.

My assessment of Ford based solely on the 6 minutes of highlights:

Overall there is a fair bit to work with but I have a fair bit of concern about his skills especially by hand. He loops both his kicks and handballs too much and even on simple passes he leaves his teammate reaching or having to pick it up off the ground. In the AFL he is going to leave his teammate exposed and possibly missing chances to move the ball on. He lacks penetration by hand and by foot (to a lesser extent). I like his goal kicking technique probably more than his field kicking and this is a bit unusual at any level.

All is certainly not negative though. He looks to be a very aggressive player and that makes up for a lot at AFL level. He lowers his head and drives through tackles and makes them felt. He has very nice hands both above his head and below his knees which are also a big selling feature for a team like us. He reads the ball in the air very nicely and times his arrival at the contest very very well.

He seems to have a nice burst of pace and gets separation pretty easily. I have a few concerns about his lateral movement but in a straight line he looks good. He is a big bodied kid and outmuscles his opponents. He seems smart and reads the play well and at first glance reminds a lot of an old school, state level full forward. Slightly undersized but powerful, smart and quick off the mark. For the NEAFL think Darren Ewing. At AFL level he will need to play further up the ground and have more strings in his bow. He would need to work on his skills but he does have AFL level traits that could make him a nice player.

I would not be against picking him. I do love the aggressive edge he has an think bringing that can paper over a few cracks especially early.

My assessment of Ford based solely on the 6 minutes of highlights:

Overall there is a fair bit to work with but I have a fair bit of concern about his skills especially by hand. He loops both his kicks and handballs too much and even on simple passes he leaves his teammate reaching or having to pick it up off the ground. In the AFL he is going to leave his teammate exposed and possibly missing chances to move the ball on. He lacks penetration by hand and by foot (to a lesser extent). I like his goal kicking technique probably more than his field kicking and this is a bit unusual at any level.

All is certainly not negative though. He looks to be a very aggressive player and that makes up for a lot at AFL level. He lowers his head and drives through tackles and makes them felt. He has very nice hands both above his head and below his knees which are also a big selling feature for a team like us. He reads the ball in the air very nicely and times his arrival at the contest very very well.

He seems to have a nice burst of pace and gets separation pretty easily. I have a few concerns about his lateral movement but in a straight line he looks good. He is a big bodied kid and outmuscles his opponents. He seems smart and reads the play well and at first glance reminds a lot of an old school, state level full forward. Slightly undersized but powerful, smart and quick off the mark. For the NEAFL think Darren Ewing. At AFL level he will need to play further up the ground and have more strings in his bow. He would need to work on his skills but he does have AFL level traits that could make him a nice player.

I would not be against picking him. I do love the aggressive edge he has an think bringing that can paper over a few cracks especially early.
Potential draft range in a normal draft?

It's also a bit unrealistic to judge a player solely off a highlights reel.
I agree.

True but if that is all you have you just have to make do.
I’ve watched all his footage on the NAB League app. before it went to crap (I haven’t checked it to see if it’s working again).

These are definitely the best bits of his footage.

Ford is a big body, but last year he wasn’t in shape and was carrying a fair bit of baby fat. I wonder what he could be, if he was in the same shape as Elijah Hollands and Archie Perkins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back