Review Round 18, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s simply not true. Did we play a “man short” when he was suspended? How is it that we are not the “Harris Andrews Football Club” (well said Fages) but we appear to have become the “Dan McStay Football Club.” According to the group think, we simply can’t play without him. No forward who doesn’t register a score and gets 5 disposals at 20% efficiency is irreplaceable. I assume Skinner and Ballenden are busting a gut at training and trying their hearts out for a game. I actually feel sorry for THEM.

I think it’s more that McStay, structure wise is pretty hard to replace. Ballenden and Skinner seem way off it and didn’t show a great deal at senior level for mine.

Whether they are busting a gut at training or not, the coaches clearly seem to think McStay is the better option for our team and I’m happy to back them in.

Richmond tend to play a spare in defence (Vlastuin) a lot of the time and just take intercept marks at will.
Kane Cornes showed vision of Richmond having a clear spare in defence while other teams push an extra up to the stoppage. Maybe AhChee can move forward and make him accountable to make it an even number forward of the ball.
This very same thing was what Dimma was complaining about after they played Sydney. Which is quite funny when they do the exact same thing.

Yeah I think Vlastuin needs to be made accountable. He plays even better against us.

The umpiring in that first quarter gifted them 2 of those 3 goals - the HTB on Rich was insane.
Tigers get lots of goals from frees or frees not paid for blocks or holds. Although my mates say they hard done by.

Have a few good mates Tigers supporters so I watch a lot of their games while talking crap on whatsapp
Living in Vic nothing else to do.. We all wondering what we do in bye week :(

We got the rub of the green against the blues.
Although Tigers do seem to get more frees and lots of frees not paid against their stars.
Back 6 seriously block and hold all the time and get away with it
Like the dogs they been throwing for years now nothing

Stop the throws and they're 3 or 4 goals lighter every game.

Their forwards are experts at nudging their opponent under the ball and for some reason not giving away a free . And they run so hard that there's always someone going past as the ball heads over the back.

They game the system and get away with it . I guess that's good tactics but their supporters seem to think it's great play. Some sides don't get away with the same thing or at the least aren't as scientific as to how they go about it.

Defs a few salty supporters preparing themselves for some serious meltdowns around the Tigers if we lose. Sure, they have a tendency to ham it up for a free kicks (esp their backline) but they are the number one team in the comp for a reason.

Neale / Lyons / Zorko will have to match it with Dusty / Cotchin / Edwards. Do that and I think the rest of our mids bat a little bit deeper then them.

I also saw the Kane Cornes vision and I feel like we have normally backed in our ability to have one extra at the contest. Even with that Richmond has managed to beat us on the outside cause their three stars have just gone and taken the ball from us. Will be interesting to see if we try to neutralize the spare or just back in our system that has come very close once again.

If we too scared to beat the Tigers then we not going to win the GF.
Seeing there is a big chance we play 3 games at the Gabba never been a better year.
If it bleeds :)

Look at this year we played 8 Gabba games for 8 wins.
Played 9 games outside Gabba.
Lost MCG
Lost 2 at Metricon
Just beat Demons and North at Metricon.
We are a 3-4 goal better team at the Gabba.
Just need those 3-4 to be goals not behinds :)
Have to play it smart both finals last year we just started bombing it into 50 as we rushed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no matter who it is we need to win.
Honestly most teams in the 8 not been winning well weekly.
We won 7 in a row and a few by under a few kicks. We lost 3 out of 4 qtrs against Blues.
Tigers looked in trouble at times and cats where lucky to get over swans

Although you win the first week puts you in a prelim.
Cats or Tigers we still need to be on our A game to win.

If we too scared to beat the Tigers then we not going to win the GF.
Seeing there is a big chance we play 3 games at the Gabba never been a better year.
If it bleeds :)

Look at this year we played 8 Gabba games for 8 wins.
Played 9 games outside Gabba.
Lost MCG
Lost 2 at Metricon
Just beat Demons and North at Metricon.
We are a 3-4 goal better team at the Gabba.
Just need those 3-4 to be goals not behinds :)
Have to play it smart both finals last year we just started bombing it into 50 as we rushed.
Good post. The battle of the coaches will also be an interesting one. You can expect Richmond to try to channel most of their forward attack through the player that is matched up by who they perceive to be the “weakest link” in defence. Formerly they would avoid using whoever Harris Andrews was standing, in an attempt to take him out of the game, but we are quite even at present and there is no obvious weakness in defence. Payne would be the logical choice as he is the least experienced, but if he plays like he did against Gold Coast, he might bring Richmond’s planning undone. I would be happy if Payne took Lynch, Lester had Martin and Gardiner got the job on Riewoldt. If Martin plays more of a midfielder role, I am really looking forward to Berry having another crack at him ‘head to head.’ If we can limit their supply and put scoreboard pressure on them from the outset, there is no reason we can’t win against Richmond, whenever we play them in the finals. Finally, Birchall is an absolute bonus in finals, but I would love to see him be more physical.

Back