Autopsy Round 18: Collingwood 45-61 Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Shocking at centre clearances.
Big part Grundy and the mids just not ever in synch. It's been like it for ages.
Im no hater but geez his ruck work is rubbish (unless he takes it himself and clears it) Tapwork terrible.
Or the mids not reading it.
New ruck/clearance coach immediately please.

Port a 3 goal better team.

Before everyone gets here and loses the plot I wanna try and have a level headed say.

I personally don’t think we played that badly. They just showed us what it takes to reach the next level. They hardly put a foot wrong, we fumbled. We matched them fairly well in the physical aspect of the game, and defended decently, but they did it better.

There’s no real other way to put it, the amount of impactful mistakes was the difference, and we made more.

West Coast defend similarly to Port, so I hope we can do our homework and try and work it out, because they’ve had our number for too long now.

Last edited:

Cannot fault the effort all night, our bottom 4 or 5 are simply not up to a hot high end contest. It's clear who they are, but against a side with one unavailable player we could not hide our skinny talent at he bottom end.
Too many missed targets and fumbles cost you against quality.
A frustration for me is when we get first hands, then second hands occasionally thirds and still dont get the clearance!!! In slippery conditions, territory and field position is vital.
Finally, JDG is protecting the flexor tendon repair, he wont be spending alot of time on the ball this year.

we continue to lack an onballer who can turn a match by winning the clearances when they have to be won
same as in 2018
all the other common shortcomings such as gameplan, forwards etc are a distant second in my eyes
either seir comes good or we get someone in.

clearance was the difference all night.
they are direct and don’t mess it around

We opt to try and flick it around 4-5 times before going deep inside 50...

That’s on the coaches....

Yeah, too many times we look for that perfect clearance instead of just getting the field position and either taking a mark or forcing a stoppage and starting again.

Our ball use going forward killed us and sapped our momentum. This unfortunately has been the story of our season and is unlikely to change. Otherwise it was a very solid effort from the team, had a crack all night.

Our ball use going forward killed us and sapped our momentum. This unfortunately has been the story of our season and is unlikely to change. Otherwise it was a very solid effort from the team, had a crack all night.
It was more so our refusal to use the corridor and take risks. Kept hugging the boundary line and overhanballing.

Yep. We have a Crap Gameplan and Makes our Poor Forward even worse

Before everyone gets here and loses the plot I wanna try and have a level headed say.

I personally don’t think we played that badly. They just showed us what it takes to reach the next level. They hardly put a foot wrong, we fumbled. We matched them fairly well in the physical aspect of the game, and defended decently, but they did it better.

There’s no real other way to put it, the amount of impactful mistakes was the difference, and we made more.

West Coast defend similarly to West Coast, so I hope we can do our homework and try and work it out, because they’ve had our number for too long now.

Yeah the fumbling was incredibly frustrating. It always happened when we were about to get a clear breakaway too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

clearance was the difference all night.
they are direct and don’t mess it around

We opt to try and flick it around 4-5 times before going deep inside 50...

That’s on the coaches....
It’s a short ground from the centre- just needed to bang it in and have a crumber there to mop up

I can’t with Buckley anymore man. I can’t.

Waits until the final 7 minutes (when the game is over) to put De Goey on the ball.

Doesn’t try switching Grundy and Cox given Grundys atrocious form and Cox actually tapping well as a ruck.

Despite an in form Cox sitting in the forward line, has drilled into the players to approach the forward line slowly to “wait for the right option” to present itself. You know how I know it’s a coaching instruction? Because it happens far too frequently for it to be anything else. Unless you’re willing to believe that for the last 17 weeks the players have been actively disobeying coaching instructions of course.

Then you have the added spice of our players seemingly being completely unwilling to run, which is easy to decipher when you see the opposition with free players in the backline, only for them to find free option in the middle and then inexplicably finding free options in the forward line.

It’s beyond maddening to watch. They need a new word for what this is.

Last edited:
We held a very solid team to a score of 61, that's something to work with. It's the midfield and forward set-up that was found wanting.

We fought to the end, they were just better i.e. cleaner, more efficient, & more direct.

West Coast defend similarly to West Coast, so I hope we can do our homework and try and work it out, because they’ve had our number for too long now.

Port Adelaide did their best to lose it in the last quarter, but Collingwood didn't oblige.

The winner was the dew!

We lack composure in key moments. We also lack a gameplan that can mask those deficiencies, instead we have one that magnifies them. We can deal with one of those things quickly if we are brave.
Gameplan is ok, but it's more so the inability and stubborness of Bucks to make changes mid-game.

This is usually where I lose the plot but I’m tired and had enough of Bucks and the poor game plan with players that just aren’t skilful enough or brave enough for AFL. Say want you want about the Rat pack that Bucks broke up when he became coach but they had skill and a bit of mongrel.

We're a year away again (always next year)
Port Brandivino are a good team.
I can tolerate them and the my wife is also called Brian's winning... if we can't... which is most likely.
I.Q continued to impress

Commentary team are annoying most times but great comment from Bruce that Hinkley was under huge pressure this year and would have been gone if they didn't perform, will that pressure be on Bucks for 2021 (like Mick before 2010) and even Hardwick at Richmond?

Yeah, too many times we look for that perfect clearance instead of just getting the field position and either taking a mark or forcing a stoppage and starting again.
Our structure doesn’t help though. Our hack kicks more often than not hit an unopposed opponent on the chest. Conversely kicks from other teams when they play us seem to land to the advantage of their teammate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back