Autopsy Round 18: Collingwood 45-61 Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like I’ve just watched every big game we’ve played in the last couple of years.
I don’t know why when we are behind we continue to kick to the pocket.
We slog our arses off to kick goals and they kick 3 as easy as you please in the third quarter.
So frustrating!

The effort was there, can't fault that. Worked hard and tried hard throughout the game. But we're pretty clearly a rung or two behind the better teams in the league. We need to be tougher and cleaner in the contest and win more ball in the middle. We need to find a way to get clean delivery to our forwards. We need to get a structure in our forwardline which will allow us to score consistently.

Keep doing the same and we can't expect improvement. Still, we're playing finals. At least one more game to come. Hope springs eternal.

Same story all year long:
- Midfield smashed but Grundy wins hit outs
- Bulk turnovers and/or fumbles at critical times
- Destroyed by intercept markers
- Inability to finish or show any composure when we've got control im our forward half

Its infuriating watching other teams be so clean with the ball while we constantly stumble over it or handball it at each others feet.

Reality check. Skill errors, skill errors, skill errors...
and lack of depth...
Good that we’ve been exposed to finals football on the eve of the finals, and Effort 100%, except for the usual missing players. Feel for SP10, if he was playing for a better side he’d have 3 flags by now, and be talked about as one of the all time greats.

Memo to coaches:
1. Teach Grundy how to tap it to a teammate. I mean he’s only had that issue for the past 5 years...
2. Varcoe has no role in the team. What good is his size and pace if he uses neither? & fix WHE while you’re at it. Skillful player who isn’t being used to actually use his kicking skills, especially when...
3. Fix your F50 entries and strategy. Prob the worst at this by any team that’s ever made the finals.

AFL - making a team fly to Perth and quarantine for finals during these times is ridiculous. No-one will care, because it’s collingwood. I hope we kick their *sses and stick it up all the haters. Including that Fox footy commentary & couch team...

Last edited:
dejavu yet again. Overuse the ball by hand and can’t score, coaching and structure. Finish 8th and that’s a reflection of where we are. If we enter next year without some additions in the off season and Sanderson and Harvey coaching we won’t make finals. Melb, Syd, freo, blues will pass us.

Last one from me. The problem we have is that nothing will change while we are in this zone of doing ok. Just making finals and the odd good game. 10 years later then it’s too late to do anything and your in a rebuild then it’s 20+ years before another chance. We need to move players on, get good draft picks, get a better coach. Just because the boys like him doesn’t mean shit, the best coaches are fierce. Seriously Craig Bellamy comes to mind, amazing coach but don’t mess with him. Anyway if we can pull of a miracle and and beat WCE great but some changes need to be started in the off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We held a very solid team to a score of 61, that's something to work with. It's the midfield and forward set-up that was found wanting.

We fought to the end, they were just better i.e. cleaner, more efficient, & more direct.

Agreed, it’s our mids that are a large part of the problem. As much as I love Jamie, he ain’t a midfielder and shouldn’t be spending more than 20% game time in there.

I know it’s an unpopular opinion but I really like Noble and the drive he brings to half back, he’s been quite a find and is coming along nicely. As is IQ, a good pairing along with Crispy and Maynard.

Apart from WHE, the players had a red hot crack. The coach? Not so much. Zero minutes at the centre bounces for DeGoey equals zero points for Buckley.

When you need a bit of extra zing in the guts, don't think, do!

If you want Eddie/Bucks sacked, bombard Robbo's Twitter/inbox. He's a slob, but he's a loud mouth who already hates Eddie/Bucks.

Great game Port. You were amazing. Thank god you won. Didn’t want you to play you at Adelaide Oval. Game on. Umpires put the whistle away tonight. Hopefully they’ll do that in the finals series.

Not really a question of effort, just pretty bereft of talent/a semblance of a respectable game-plan.

Varcoe, Stephenson, Thomas, Hoskin-Elliott, Mihocek, Elliott, De Goey, Brown - all no positive impact on the contest.

Adam Treloar continues to get disposals and do nothing with them.

Brodie Grundy is going to be a huge problem over the coming 7 years if this is form to be continued with.

And Tyler Brown may very well be a worse kick than his brother, which is astonishing.

Thought Taylor Adams & Jack Crisp tried hard, as did Madgen/Moore.

Now that I think about it more, I hate being a middle-of-the-road team.

Not sh*t enough to sack the coach and rebuild. Not good enough to win a flag. Just prodding along aimlessly with no hope of winning a flag, like Geelong.

History suggests a middle of the road team with the oldest list in the competition is heading for the basement pretty rapidly, so I doubt it will be a problem for long.

Our half forwards are league worst. WHE, Thomas, Varcoe, Greenwood, C Brown, Stephenson are first choice and all are absolutely terrible options at the moment. Stephenson, Brown and Hoskin Elliott cannot lay a tackle or put any kind of effective pressure on to save themselves. Teams repel so easily off our half back flank, it looks effortless. I’m so incredibly over it.

For what it's worth:

PassMehFail
Jack CrispJordan RougheadTyler Brown
Brayden MaynardJack MadgenWill Hoskin-Elliott
Darcy MooreBrody MihocekTravis Varcoe
Isaac QuaynorMason CoxJaidyn Stephenson
Jamie ElliottJordan De GoeyJosh Thomas
Josh DaicosBrodie Grundy
Levi GreenwoodAdam Treloar
Taylor Adams
Scott Pendlebury
John Noble

For a game that we could have pinched with a bit more luck I can see some potential in the finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back