Strategy Draft only, no Trades.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tiger22

Tiger68
Aug 28, 2020
Punt Rd
AFL Club
Richmond
Is it just me or do other people think like this?
I really don't want Richmond to trade for any player in the training period. I think Richmond players should be coming from the draft via our 2nds only.

These other teams like Essendon trying to trade their way to a victory, and now the race to get Brown from North. Just smells of desperation and 'last roll of the dice' type stuff.

It's probably because there is no other player in no other AFL team that I think are worthy of playing for Richmond.

I really don't want Richmond to trade for any player in the training period. I think Richmond players should be coming from the draft via our 2nds only.

These other teams like Essendon trying to trade their way to a victory, and now the race to get Brown from North. Just smells of desperation and 'last roll of the dice' type stuff.

It's probably because there is no other player in no other AFL team that I think are worthy of playing for Richmond.
Agree.
Some clubs look like they will be s**t for decades ie Norf, Essendrugs.

Obviously haven’t listened to the podcast yet. We’re likely losing Broad, Pickett, CCJ, Naish, Stack, Egg and Markov maybe. Also probably 50/50 we lose Graham as well ☹ Imo I don’t think we can just replace them with just drafting.

Hopefully it isn’t all of them.

I've got nothing against free agents but, yes, in essence I agree with you. I would love there to be 10 - 15 sub 20 yo players in our squad at all times.

I've said it many times, I don't want to give away picks. I don't want to end up like Geelong and Hawthorn and I'm willing to sacrifice a few percent of performance at the top end to do it.

I'm happy to draft only. Though I will point out that at the end of 2016 we got meatball Nank and cads. Many people, some Richmond supporters included didn't think they would add as much as they did and when got the flag the next year.

I don't think it needs to be a lynch level target every year, but I think there are a few lower level players out there that would only benefit our team.

Fair enough post until it came to this. You reckon we wouldn't give NicNat, Gawn, Dangerfield or Bontompelli a run if we could?

Obviously haven’t listened to the podcast yet. We’re likely losing Broad, Pickett, CCJ, Naish, Stack, Egg and Markov maybe. Also probably 50/50 we lose Graham as well ☹ Imo I don’t think we can just replace them with just drafting.

Hopefully it isn’t all of them.
Why will we lose them?

A team in our position should be accumulating draft picks to continually top up the list with kids. Get them in the system and ready to fill the gaps as they appear.

Free agency is where we can * the rest of the comp over ala Lynch. Want to play in a flag? Come to us but we can't pay top dollar. Go to North and waste your time if you want to chase coin.

The most important part is the bit where we trade out players for picks. Stuff it up and you tear the team apart like the bummers post 2000.

The exception is we've drafted out of favour ruckmen and I have no problem with that because you're not trading for grundy or gawn. Ratugolea seems out of favour at geelong. Can't kick for s**t but he's a man mountain.

This is the worst off season to have that strategy, given all the draftees are going to be lottery picks and significantly behind in their usual development.

This is the off-season to trade.
Also this draft is full of Father-Son and Academy picks.

Did you think that when we got Nank, Prestia and Caddy then won the flag? Or just now?

If you can get a good trade why not do it?
Add Tim Lunch to that list. It's vital to top up the list through FA especially when we're not getting access to the top end talent through the draft because for the last 4 years our picks have been 18+. If we traded for someone of Lunch's calibre we would had to pay at 2 x 1st rounders, through FA we got him for FA.

It's also imperative to identify those players that can have an immediate impact which we can get through trading. Prestia for pick 6 was a win, Caddy for a mid 20's, Nank for a pick in the 50's or thereabouts.

We have also managed to pick up some solid players through the draft some who are still untried.

It's too simplistic to say "only hit the draft" Building a team to win a flag requires the list managers and recruiters to use all of the tools at their disposal. Maybe what the OP meant to say was don't trade just for trades sake, because I'm seeing a lot of spuds out there that realistically we don't need or want.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a romantic notion, that the only Richmond players are those brought in as juniors and trained in the ways of the Tiger. Nice thought.

A fair way off reality though, particularly with the VFL looking harpooned for 2021, the draft being a chook lotto, and a sizeable cohort of AFL standard players about to get delisted through reduction of list sizes.

This needs to be thought about in line with the Blair Hartley thread. If we can pick up someone to do a job for half the salary cap space as the current player, why wouldn't we at least think about it?

Fair enough post until it came to this. You reckon we wouldn't give NicNat, Gawn, Dangerfield or Bontompelli a run if we could?

Well for me....no we shouldn't.
I look at it like the Judd deal for Carlton...they thought they were going to win a Grand Final (Remember 'They know we are coming'?). They had a good team and just brought in a great mid-fielder.

But they didn't do anything. And it wasn't because the team was no good, but bringing in Judd who cost a lot of $$$$, I believe the rest of the Blues' players were like...'what!? I slug my guts out for years for this team and you don't give me a pay rise but you have countless $$$$ for Judd. Well if he is so good let him win the game.' And that is how they ended up playing. Individually, not as a team.

I think the Swans have this problem now.

Those players you mention would only come for $$$$. How do you believe it would affect players like Coch and Reiwalt who took a pay cut for Lynch? Let alone the rest of the lower players. It's just not worth it.

This is the worst off season to have that strategy, given all the draftees are going to be lottery picks and significantly behind in their usual development.

This is the off-season to trade.
Spot on.
And we don't even know how many rounds of the draft there will be.

I think free agency is just one avenue to bring in talent. Our club has used it well. As far as the draft being an unknown, our recruiting has been very good over the last few years. I'll back our guys to recruit appropriately, especially given they watch & profile draftees for years. All clubs will recruit with a bit less info this season. I'll back our guys....

I think free agency is just one avenue to bring in talent. Our club has used it well. As far as the draft being an unknown, our recruiting has been very good over the last few years. I'll back our guys to recruit appropriately, especially given they watch & profile draftees for years. All clubs will recruit with a bit less info this season. I'll back our guys....
Top 10 probably have enough info/data for clubs to make sound judgements.
After that I think we should keep within this time round.

Top 10 probably have enough info/data for clubs to make sound judgements.
After that I think we should keep within this time round.

I have zero knowledge of this years draft. So I'll take your word for it T_o_o....

Did you think that when we got Nank, Prestia and Caddy then won the flag? Or just now?

If you can get a good trade why not do it?

Exactly.

Lets raise the bar on how we trade...We go for the players we want, at the price we want to pay, take it or leave it. But to rule out trading altogether seems excessive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back