News John Olsen asked to be AFC chairman

Who should be the next chairman?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok I really didn't think I'd have to explain this, but you've forced me to. This is OBVIOUS, but apparently not obvious enough for you.

Here it is: there is not an actual club that we believe all the 'boys' are a part of. The "boys club" comments have become an easy way of conveying that the club hires based on personal connections and mutual back scratching rather than having any sort of merit based procedures in place.

For Chapman those personal and back scratching connections are obviously going to include the SANFL, the ones who installed him and let him get away with his corrupt crap when they owned our license.

For Roo those personal connections and back scratching connections are going to be focused on people he played with.

Seriously, every single person here got that but you; let that sink in for a bit.
No mate I Just sick of People Using the Boy club as a reason,
If Olsen gets the Job its, not Boys Club, it a Bad decision but not the Boys Club
The quicker we start calling as it is the better the club will get.

Ok I really didn't think I'd have to explain this, but you've forced me to. This is OBVIOUS, but apparently not obvious enough for you.

Here it is: there is not an actual club that we believe all the 'boys' are a part of. The "boys club" comments have become an easy way of conveying that the club hires based on personal connections and mutual back scratching rather than having any sort of merit based procedures in place.

For Chapman those personal and back scratching connections are obviously going to include the SANFL, the ones who installed him and let him get away with his corrupt crap when they owned our license.

For Roo those personal connections and back scratching connections are going to be focused on people he played with.

Seriously, every single person here got that but you; let that sink in for a bit.
LOL - no, I'm pretty sure that there's a lot of people on here who realise that some dimwitted posters use "boy's club" whenever it suits, and that they're pretty inconsistent about it.

Good to see someone with the common sense to point it out.

I'm unconvinced by Olsen, but the boy's club insult is just foolish. Any Chairman of a state sporting club is going to be part of the establishment. No one sensible will give a s**t about that. The question is whether he actually still has strong enough relationships across the political sphere. You'd think Pyne's would be the same but far more current.

Last edited:
LOL - no, I'm pretty sure that there's a lot of people on here who realise that some dimwitted posters use "boy's club" whenever it's suits, and that they're pretty inconsistent about it.

Good to see someone with the common sense to point it out.

I'm unconvinced by Olsen, but the boy's club insult is just foolish. Any Chairman of a state sporting club is going to be part of the establishment. No one sensible will give a sh*t about that. The question is whether he actually still has strong enough relationships across the political sphere. You'd think Pyne's would be the same but far more current.

Ok let's ask.

Everyone reading this: please let me know if a single one of you believes there is a secret Illuminati like boys club making all the hiring decisions for the AFC?

No mate I Just sick of People Using the Boy club as a reason,
If Olsen gets the Job its, not Boys Club, it a Bad decision but not the Boys Club
The quicker we start calling as it is the better the club will get.

So you don't think the connection between Chapman and Olsen played any part in him getting the role?

Just when you think the Crows are finally digging their way out this rut, they want to appoint some SANFL/Liberal party stooge for one of the most important roles in the club. It's just astounding to me how pathetic this club is.
What has this got to do with the club in general? Don’t lump the footy department and players into this who are definitely turning a corner, they don’t have any say.

What has this got to do with the club in general? Don’t lump the footy department and players into this who are definitely turning a corner, they don’t have any say.

No but the worry is that the muppets who made this decision and the new muppet who is joining to lead our club will have plenty of power to sabotage what is happening in the football department (as we've seen by their ability to destroy our football department, which is why it's requiring a rebuild)

So you don't think the connection between Chapman and Olsen played any part in him getting the role?
Of Course there a connection, but the bigger connection is thru the AFL house Olsen would be an AFL favourite,
He would be Passable with Hazel but not his preferred choice, same as Chapman

Of Course there a connection, but the bigger connection is thru the AFL house Olsen would be an AFL favourite,
He would be Passable with Hazel but not his preferred choice, same as Chapman

He'd be an AFL favorite? why?

AFL don't give any shits at all about the SANFL.

Also can we please stop pretending the AFL is this secret mastermind puppeteer causing the club to make all the bad decisions it has? It's unhinged and in no way based in reality.

The way the article reads - “...he has been asked...” - makes me think this is a bit of a kite-flying exercise to gauge public support for such a move before it is finalised. If the reaction is (too) negative then there’s space for him to ‘graciously decline’ citing other time commitment, etc, etc.
If that is the case can everyone please flood 5AA with comments, calls, texts etc... blasting it?? Please?????
They need to know how stupid this is and once again point out how utterly ridiculous it is having Chapman hand pick the successor. He should have left now and have no say in it at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ah neat, a club rebuilding on and off field many things including public image and perception go for the obvious choice. 75 year old disgraced politician. maybe we can get roger rogerson to lead list management.

ah neat, a club rebuilding on and off field many things including public image and perception go for the obvious choice. 75 year old disgraced politician. maybe we can get roger rogerson to lead list management.
He would certainly put a few bullets into it.

He'd be an AFL favorite? why?

AFL don't give any shits at all about the SANFL.

Also can we please stop pretending the AFL is this secret mastermind puppeteer causing the club to make all the bad decisions it has? It's unhinged and in no way based in reality.

Wow, way to go off on a tangent.

Argue all you like Olsen would not be Champan first Choice, and more Importantly Hazels. However, he would have been a name mentioned by the AFL due to his dealing with the AFL in the past and his strong friendship with some of them.
In saying that if it was the Case and Chapman 1st Choice was out of the picture I can see him heading that way.
Personally, I don't Like Olsen in the role, I believe it to be a backwards move when we want to go forward.

And I believe You mentioning its a boys club selection is wrong,

And this AFL vs SANFL don't know how you can up with it, as I am not hinting or heading down that rabbit hole, I will leave that to people like you.

LOL, all the people in Australia to offer the job to the idiots on our board reckon John is the man.

Not surprising, after all they thought everyone at the club (12 months ago) was doing a good job, it was only external pressure that brought about the belated review - and now after 12 months all those buffoons are gone.

We still need a review of the rest of the club, as if you needed further evidence they go and do this.

Wow, way to go off on a tangent.

Argue all you like Olsen would not be Champan first Choice, and more Importantly Hazels. However, he would have been a name mentioned by the AFL due to his dealing with the AFL in the past and his strong friendship with some of them.
In saying that if it was the Case and Chapman 1st Choice was out of the picture I can see him heading that way.
Personally, I don't Like Olsen in the role, I believe it to be a backwards move when we want to go forward.

And I believe You mentioning its a boys club selection is wrong,

And this AFL vs SANFL don't know how you can up with it, as I am not hinting or heading down that rabbit hole, I will leave that to people like you.

I like how you so confidently state your opinions as if they are provable facts

I don't see any need for the distinction. As has already been pointed out, poor leadership at board level will ultimately lead to the footy dept. being sabotaged and not being able to reach their potential.
How is the board impacting on the ability of Nicks and Kelly to bring in quality assistants like Burns and potentially Balme? Outside of Roo I don’t see what impact the board have on the actual day to day running of the footy program. It didn’t impact our ability to make a GF in 2017 despite still having Chapman in charge.

All I care about is results on field and I think Nicks and Kelly are making positive steps in that area.

Back