QAFL 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Few at Maroochy do this - Scholard for one. Its fantastic buy in.

yeah I admire blokes that do that. I was impressed how Maroochy went about it this year so no surprises if you have a few like that SMY.

In a strange way I reckon COVID will end up being good for footy at all levels. The idea of volunteers being overworked and stressed to pay players good money for park footy is crazy (not just a QAFL thing-it’s worse down south). Hopefully this is the reset local footy needs.

At AFL level coaches and CEOs on a mil, super bowl junkets, 20 blokes on laptops GameDay, training camps in Arizona etc are overkill and don’t respect the punter.

My hope is the AFL takes the opportunity to assess whats important and do a better job of looking after the real supporters and grassroots footy.

yeah I admire blokes that do that. I was impressed how Maroochy went about it this year so no surprises if you have a few like that SMY.

In a strange way I reckon COVID will end up being good for footy at all levels. The idea of volunteers being overworked and stressed to pay players good money for park footy is crazy (not just a QAFL thing-it’s worse down south). Hopefully this is the reset local footy needs.

At AFL level coaches and CEOs on a mil, super bowl junkets, 20 blokes on laptops GameDay, training camps in Arizona etc are overkill and don’t respect the punter.

My hope is the AFL takes the opportunity to assess whats important and do a better job of looking after the real supporters and grassroots footy.

100% - first to admit I was sceptical about much footy getting off the ground (guys like GK11 were much more optimistic and were proven right.. :) ) but there is many good things to come out of this bastardised year of footy. Not the least what you just mentioned. Some don't like referring to it as park footy (although it is) because it offends our sense of importance a bit but one thing I found being involved in womens footy this year (GK you might appreciate this too with the Coops girls) is that it isnt the be all and it has a place in society but not as a vehicle to pump up egos of players, coaches, administrators but just to provide a good place for people to play sport and keep healthy and happy. Sounds trite but I reckon our counterparts in Vic would say this is what they are missing the most about no season. There are many different things we could do to ensure costs are kept in check and this isnt just at club land but in the admin office as well and this year taught everyone that you can still have a good comp without the trappings.

Have any clubs had their best and fairests awards night yet? Any news on players staying or leaving or new recruits coming in? Great time for clubs to captialise on whats happening in other states. Usually our league sees a turnover in coaches, anything happening there?

Have any clubs had their best and fairests awards night yet? Any news on players staying or leaving or new recruits coming in? Great time for clubs to captialise on whats happening in other states. Usually our league sees a turnover in coaches, anything happening there?
Fair point on interstate comps but I think many will wait and see what summer brings. Recruiting may be a 5 month window this off season

I think Sherwood advertised their coaching gig this week.

Thommo did Macca only agree to one year, as I thought he did a good job this year?

It will be interesting how much movement there is between states this offseason. Will NEAFL quality players stay, go to VIC and hope the virus is over, or will SANFL and WAFL be the beneficiaries of an exodus from VIC and QLD guns looking for paydays?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be interesting how much movement there is between states this offseason. Will NEAFL quality players stay, go to VIC and hope the virus is over, or will SANFL and WAFL be the beneficiaries of an exodus from VIC and QLD guns looking for paydays?

I think possibly the latter - with WA going along ok economically then the other factor, employment, will be ticked off. If you were a 24yr old tradie who wa sa decent footballer then its an opportunity I would imagine. Mind you some blokes might overstate their abilities and be in for a rude shock.... Playing NEAFL doesnt mean you are a gun by any stretch as was shown by the performance of some of the guys who came back to QAFL and even lower divisions.

If someone has managed to bring peace to that civil war, then good on them and it would be a good outcome.

Think peace has been brought to the table from my understanding... Looking to play in QAFL as a merged team which is a good result but will mean there will be room for another suitor in Div 1. And if Noosa go up then no doubt another 2. I would be getting Bond Uni in there asap and wouldn't mind seeing Sandgate go in as well.

Think peace has been brought to the table from my understanding... Looking to play in QAFL as a merged team which is a good result but will mean there will be room for another suitor in Div 1. And if Noosa go up then no doubt another 2. I would be getting Bond Uni in there asap and wouldn't mind seeing Sandgate go in as well.

One of the things that is of concern is dilution of talent with more new teams coming in. However, as discussed above, there may be an opportunity to get some quality players from VIC and keep those NEAFL players in QLD if there was some sort of orchestrated effort by the clubs and league to help get kids from down south up here? I guess it could be an official interstate recruitment program, a relaxation of points for new teams, financial aid, a jobs programme or a combination of all the above?

And just to qualify that there may be an exodus from VIC... Dan Andrews (Vic Premier) is a total moron. Theres no guarantee of restrictions being eased in Victoria enough as winter approaches in March. One can see it now. Some restrictions eased over summer, A few new infections as the cooler weather approaches in Victoria in march, and the 'chairman dan' the Chinese communist 'belt road darling', will shut the joint down again.

A lot of fringe VFL players wont risk another season with that communist, ponce madman in office.

Last edited:
One of the things that is of concern is dilution of talent with more new teams coming in. However, as discussed above, there may be an opportunity to get some quality players from VIC and keep those NEAFL players in QLD if there was some sort of orchestrated effort by the clubs and league to help get kids from down south up here? I guess it could be an official interstate recruitment program, a relaxation of points for new teams, financial aid, a jobs programme or a combination of all the above?

And just to qualify that there may be an exodus from VIC... Dan Andrews (Vic Premier) is a total moron. Theres no guarantee of restrictions being eased in Victoria enough as winter approaches in March. One can see it now. Some restrictions eased over summer, A few new infections as the cooler weather approaches in Victoria in march, and the 'chairman dan' the Chinese communist 'belt road darling', will shut the joint down again.

A lot of fringe VFL players wont risk another season with that communist, ponce madman in office.

Haha without getting into politics I think you may be correct. Whether he is madder than that pseudo hippie Trump is another thing... :)

There isnt more teams coming in necessarily - one will already be a team from the NEAFL comp and possibly one more in Noosa. If Aspley decide to go this way too then there isnt an extra club on board, just one coming back a level. No dilution of talent. There would be if a new club just arose out of the lower divisions but this isnt going to be the case. Think the talent pool here in Qld will be pretty solid for this level of competition. Remember there was a number of blokes at both QAFL and NEAFL level that didnt even play this year. They will next year.

Haha without getting into politics I think you may be correct. Whether he is madder than that pseudo hippie Trump is another thing... :)

There isnt more teams coming in necessarily - one will already be a team from the NEAFL comp and possibly one more in Noosa. If Aspley decide to go this way too then there isnt an extra club on board, just one coming back a level. No dilution of talent. There would be if a new club just arose out of the lower divisions but this isnt going to be the case. Think the talent pool here in Qld will be pretty solid for this level of competition. Remember there was a number of blokes at both QAFL and NEAFL level that didnt even play this year. They will next year.

There was a post above that said Aspley were to make an announcement on their future yesterday. As yet i cant find anything on their website. May say something on their FB, i dunno..

There was a post above that said Aspley were to make an announcement on their future yesterday. As yet i cant find anything on their website. May say something on their FB, i dunno..

I think they were being told the powers what the conditions and terms were going to be yesterday then making a call on it. Prob next week.

Zac Harrison won PBC best and fairest tonight. Still so underrated well done to the young man. We were lucky enough to have 5 western bulldogs players in the 120 attendees and they were brilliant in drawing out raffles and presenting a couple of awards.

I don’t think any of them want to go back to Victoria, i dont blame them

I think Sherwood advertised their coaching gig this week.

Thommo did Macca only agree to one year, as I thought he did a good job this year?

change of circumstances for both club and coach. hopeful he will remain involved in a board or operational capacity that is less draining on his time.

Extraordinary the quality of candidates popping up though, which is to be expected with AFL/VFL clubs shedding staff as well as NEAFL disbanding.

change of circumstances for both club and coach. hopeful he will remain involved in a board or operational capacity that is less draining on his time.

Extraordinary the quality of candidates popping up though, which is to be expected with AFL/VFL clubs shedding staff as well as NEAFL disbanding.

Yes good year to be advertising - mind you many have no concept of the remuneration side when coming out of higher comps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back