Analysis The Richmond dynasty

Remove this Banner Ad

tbf, only reiwoldt has really lost form though, maybe cotchin but i reckon he was better this year than last. houli and edwards looked as good as ever in the few games the had before and after their break, as do grimes and martin

Yeah Edwards is steaming along but any decline out past 30 is likely to be permanent. The other clubs are forever snapping at the heels of the premiers and it's probable that this time next year, that group won't be as good collectively as they are now.

Then we turn to the next gen and build around Balta, Bolton, Baker, and the others who hopefully come on.

Those three have developed rapidly into players who can hold their own in senior footy, but the trouble comes when you're bringing in several players who come on much slower, like Markov who still isn't the finished product at 24.

We only used the 33 players this year which is our lowest since 1995. Can't drop players who are winning flags, but it's a catch-22 when you necessarily have one eye on the future.

Anyway it's a problem for next year.

Probably the luckiest. Could have been justifiably dropped many times over the years, but even when he is, a solid 15 possession game in the VFL gets him straight back in. Its dumbfounded me for years, but the match committee have him as just about an automatic.

Does he have a good relationship with the Hardwicks?

I'm a pessimistic Eagles supporter at the best of times but at the time I had a feeling deep down we'd have won the grand final in 2018 against you blokes.

Post World War II, I believe that Richmond has played in 10 grand finals and has won 8 of them. An 80% winning percentage is even better than Hawthorn’s, which, for the same period, is about 75%. The only team that has beaten Richmond is Carlton. Bloody twice! So, Richmond, in grand finals, is the anti-Collingwood. We would have probably beaten you by a couple of goals!

Brisbane + Hawthorn as the 3peat side > Geelong > Richmond (for now, I don't think they are quite finished yet).

Richmond over Geelong.

Less talent, yet went back to back. Something GeElong never could manage.

Post World War II, I believe that Richmond has played in 10 grand finals and has won 8 of them. An 80% winning percentage is even better than Hawthorn’s, which, for the same period, is about 75%. The only team that has beaten Richmond is Carlton. Bloody twice! So, Richmond, in grand finals, is the anti-Collingwood. We would have probably beaten you by a couple of goals!
******* Carlton, at least we beat them in two grand finals during that time

Richmond over Geelong.

Less talent, yet went back to back. Something GeElong never could manage.
Kinda feel we’ll end up with more hall of famers out of both collective groups but I do agree with this. However I don’t think you’re done for at least two more seasons and I wouldn’t be shocked if you go past Hawthorn’s 4 in 8 years next season.

What a fantastic era for Richmond supporters

Haters will be haters but when we look at the 'Dynasty Teams' Need to also remember that back in 2008 we were a wreck and trent came to the club when we finished last and Carlton got the 1st pick.
Carlton took Kreuzer and Richmond took trent then the following year we finished bottom 2 again and selected Dustin Martin.

What needs to be remembered is that Richmond rebuilt during a period of time where GC & GWS were given all the top picks and we looked doomed and i remember thinking to my self we will never get back with these rubbish picks but the club has done a sensational job and when you look at the team
the amount of 40+ picks Rookies that have been part of these 3 flags its truly amazing.

I feel very grateful to all at the club to be able to do what they have done with what assets they had to get it done with.

Go Tigers

Brisbane + Hawthorn as the 3peat side > Geelong > Richmond (for now, I don't think they are quite finished yet).
geelong 3 in 5 years, richmond 3 in 4, easily richmond and not even a contest

due to the fact flags are so much harder to win now with more teams and equalization, plus the fact this flag itself was the hardest out of all yrs to win, done in hubs interstate, players missing due to babies etc, we the tiges will go down as the greatest ever team in vfl.afl history with this group of lads.

reason?

because we are the best TEAM, yes other teams have more talanted players but collectively as a team we just gel and play much better than anyone in the history of this game

we know each others game so well, we are so well drilled and even though we dont have 22 A graders collectively we are the best out of any of those dynasty teams, winning the hardest flag proves it. its official go tiges

geelong 3 in 5 years, richmond 3 in 4, easily richmond and not even a contest

due to the fact flags are so much harder to win now with more teams and equalization, plus the fact this flag itself was the hardest out of all yrs to win, done in hubs interstate, players missing due to babies etc, we the tiges will go down as the greatest ever team in vfl.afl history with this group of lads.

Disagree, I think the 2 extra teams has widened the gap between the top half and the bottom half of the competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a fantastic era for Richmond supporters

Haters will be haters but when we look at the 'Dynasty Teams' Need to also remember that back in 2008 we were a wreck and trent came to the club when we finished last and Carlton got the 1st pick.
Carlton took Kreuzer and Richmond took trent then the following year we finished bottom 2 again and selected Dustin Martin.

What needs to be remembered is that Richmond rebuilt during a period of time where GC & GWS were given all the top picks and we looked doomed and i remember thinking to my self we will never get back with these rubbish picks but the club has done a sensational job and when you look at the team
the amount of 40+ picks Rookies that have been part of these 3 flags its truly amazing.

I feel very grateful to all at the club to be able to do what they have done with what assets they had to get it done with.

Go Tigers

It's things like these that make me happy the most, I'm 27 now and for most of my childhood Richmond were rubbish and it wasn't until my mid 20s not only did they start winning finals.. they started winning flags. It honestly doesn't feel real. I'm just loving EVERY moment of it. I think we were super lucky to get some of the players we did before the drafts became so compromised, and then free agency got introduced which could have made things a lot harder but thankfully it worked more in our favour. Wish I could be out right now at Tigerland, celebrating with the brothers and sisters that help make up this beautiful club, supporting it through thick and thin like so many, but alas.. I'll settle for a small celebration at home.

Disagree, I think the 2 extra teams has widened the gap between the top half and the bottom half of the competition.
comp alot more even, no easy games anymore, i remember the days where top teams would play bunnies like us in 07 and it was gg before the game was started

now these days you play s**t teams like the crows and its a struggle still, this flag will go down as the hardest to win of all time

imagine telling a team to go away from their homes family, go to a different state and tell them go win the flag

add injuries and players missing and media giving them s**t

its incredible we have won it, this premiership has massive weighting because of those factors, so when you add to that our two other flags and the fact its back to back it sums it up that we are the best team ever in vfl/afl history. go tiges

its incredible we have won it, this premiership has massive weighting because of those factors, so when you add to that our two other flags and the fact its back to back it sums it up that we are the best team ever in vfl/afl history. go tiges

Not really.

Tigers were favourites to win for most of the season.

Hardly a miracle.

Not really.

Hardly a miracle.
winning a flag under these conditions is incredible no matter which way you look at it, especially when were unfairly bagged for not being able to win it from outside the g, basically proves if youre a good team you win anywhere <3

Very true, 2018 prelim made 2019 and 2020 premierships happen.
So much this

Hawks had heartbreaking PF loss in 11, and GF in 12...that steeled them for the three peat

Dons loss in 99, drove them in 00

Port went through all those finals losses in 02-03 before saluting

Eagles losing 15GF, how much did that help them in 18? If they hadn’t suffered pain of that loss could they have just dropped their bundle after the slow start?

After ballsing up 08, Cats willed themselves over the line in 09

After heartbreak of 09, Saints surged home strongly in 10 against a much better team and did everything but win the game

Who cares? Where would north in the 90’s be without Carey? He’s part of the 22, the most important part but we are a team that works and wins as a whole team, not just relying on one player. The team works to allow dusty to play the way he does.

Not many teams could have Rance go down to injury in round one and still win a flag.

I doubt they’d win without Dusty. But I thought they had no chance when Rance went down in 2019, and when Deledio left in 2016.

Serious question where would Richmond be without Dusty? Will you still have three premierships? he is such a big game player I highly doubt Richmond would be three flags to boot without him! just my view don't bite my head off!
Maybe would have won 1 flag. Definitely wouldn't have won this year without him.

Not really.

Hardly a miracle.
Spending 100+ days in a hub, barely playing at the MCG, barely a normal home crowd, teams unable to train together fully, losing players along the way either for the year or for large chunks, losing Vlastuin minutes into the game, this flag might not be as glamorous as our others but its easily the greatest achievement of the group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back