The next dynasty

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Dee’s in 2021, could see them winning 2-3 in.a row easy, but they have dropped off a bit & their competitors have lifted.
The nature of the comp now may make it almost impossible for another dynasty

I feel if port win one this year it will open the floodgates for them. monkey will be off their back. Right now Port have all their key players in form and fit.. they havent copped a serious injury this year to a key player. top 2 lock.. cant lose from here......
Dixon, Lycett, Duursma, Georgiadis, Boak excluded.
Happy with 1 premiership atm.
I think another dynasty is unlikely.
Maybe if Melbourne win this year they could get 3 in 4 years

I think they have too many getting to the end as well.
Wines, Boak, Dixon, Alir, Lycett, Jonas and Clury. They are a Ruckman down, need a replacement for Dixon, need some small forwards and some backs.

I feel if port win one this year it will open the floodgates for them. monkey will be off their back. Right now Port have all their key players in form and fit.. they havent copped a serious injury this year to a key player. top 2 lock.. cant lose from here......
I don't know if the crows are set up for a dynasty. But they set up the playing squad for finals contention.

They could either go down one of 2 ways, but in the end it's a similar path. But it depends on if crows make finals or not.

Scenario 1...

Crows get 7th or 8th this season in 2023. Miss finals in 2024 like 9th to 12th placed finish. Then finals in 2025-2029.

Or...

scenario 2....

Crows get 9th -12th place in 2023. Get 5th to 8th in 2024 and possibly a finals win. Miss out on finals in 2025 in 9th to 12th. Finals in 2026-9.

Alway now a days want to know if we will ever see another ala Brisbane lions 2001-2003,Hawthorns 2013-2015 and a tigers 17,19-20 type dynasty ever again.

Which team do we have pencilled in as the next big thing.

I feel we are currently in a stage of transition. Be it a Melbourne flag in 2021 and Cats flag in 2022.

I think we are still in a changing phase.

But who do we like moving forward like can win say 3 flags in 4 years and stamp their authority on the rest of the competition.

Like to see it happen again.

Love it to be Collingwood time will tell but i feel as a club and as a team they are in a right place and a feel good feel about the place these days.

But who knows come finals.

So who do we feel are in the best position going forward and can be the next likely next big dynasty in the AFL.
Given recent history I definitely think we'll see another one in the next 10-20 years, but it's anyone's guess at this point. Winning 1 doesn't mean winning multiple, see West Coast, Bulldogs as recent examples who other than their flag years all dropped off pretty strongly.

It seems kind of funny seeing predictions for teams that haven't even won 1 flag yet, which is why I say it's pure guesswork.

Last edited:
Alway now a days want to know if we will ever see another ala Brisbane lions 2001-2003,Hawthorns 2013-2015 and a tigers 17,19-20 type dynasty ever again.

Which team do we have pencilled in as the next big thing.

I feel we are currently in a stage of transition. Be it a Melbourne flag in 2021 and Cats flag in 2022.

I think we are still in a changing phase.

But who do we like moving forward like can win say 3 flags in 4 years and stamp their authority on the rest of the competition.

Like to see it happen again.

Love it to be Collingwood time will tell but i feel as a club and as a team they are in a right place and a feel good feel about the place these days.

But who knows come finals.

So who do we feel are in the best position going forward and can be the next likely next big dynasty in the AFL.

Hawthorn 2024-2032

Take it to the bank

Given recent history I definitely think we'll see another one in the next 10-20 years, but it's anyone's guess at this point. Winning 1 doesn't mean winning multiple, see West Coast, Bulldogs as recent examples who other than their flag years all dropped off pretty strongly.

It seems kind of funny seeing predictions for teams that haven't even won 1 flag yet, which is why I say it's pure guesswork.
There is other factors as well....

18 teams and only 8 finals spots.... You wonder why I was overjoyed with dockers winning that elim final last season in 2022. that was our 1st finals win since 2015.

And when Tassie comes in and a 20th side enters... Thats going to be slim pickings for finals spots.

If thats the case... If your team Wins a flag and makes finals 8 times from 20 years, you a are not overachieving or under achieving, you are on Par.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a decent chance of one depending on the effect the Tassie team has on the draft? Maybe Hawks, Sydney and Geelong were always going to be good in the early-mid 2010s because of how well they were run, but the expansion effect on the draft couldn’t have helped the others chasing them.

Melbourne still have the best list imo, and there won’t be too many of their top 8-10 players dropping off any time soon. Fix up the forward line (Van Rooyen looks promising there) and they’ll be around for a while. Port an obvious shout with the young mid core and a couple of promising young KPFs. Brisbane should be in the discussion but their record in finals and away from home is still shaky after several opportunities under Fagan. List is there though.

Adelaide a smoky for me. They might be a couple of classy mids away from being a real contender, but they look promising right now and I’m a fan of the coach.

Port Adelaide seem the most likely bet. That big three of Rozee, JH-F and Butters is going to dominate for the next 10 - 15 years. They should aim to win at least 2 flags (maybe more) in that time
Dominate for 15 years is a bit of a stretch.

There is other factors as well....

18 teams and only 8 finals spots.... You wonder why I was overjoyed with dockers winning that elim final last season in 2022. that was our 1st finals win since 2015.

And when Tassie comes in and a 20th side enters... Thats going to be slim pickings for finals spots.

If thats the case... If your team Wins a flag and makes finals 8 times from 20 years, you a are not overachieving or under achieving, you are on Par.
Yep dynasty will get harder with more teams, more even talent pool, etc.

But I still it happening every so often.

I don't know if the crows are set up for a dynasty. But they set up the playing squad for finals contention.

They could either go down one of 2 ways, but in the end it's a similar path. But it depends on if crows make finals or not.

Scenario 1...

Crows get 7th or 8th this season in 2023. Miss finals in 2024 like 9th to 12th placed finish. Then finals in 2025-2029.

Or...

scenario 2....

Crows get 9th -12th place in 2023. Get 5th to 8th in 2024 and possibly a finals win. Miss out on finals in 2025 in 9th to 12th. Finals in 2026-9.
We are a couple of peices of the puzzle short, and about 25 games short in the kids.

We have the forwards, and with Tyler Welsh in 2024, that's only going to get stronger.

Out backline is quite good as well, with Butts, Murray, Hinge, Worrell and Michaelanny.

We have decent rucks, and that leaves a couple of areas that we need to improve on.
One would be that rebounding half back flankers to replace Smith and Seedsman. The club is going all in on Redman, and we proberbly need another in that mold.
Then that just leaves us some midfield depth and talent. We need another Dawson or two.
We need that breakaway speed, line breaking ability with elite disposal into the forward 50.
That needs to be our priority in the next couple of years.

If we nail that then we absolutely will be in the premiership window.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back