News Brad Crouch to Saints (STK make offer; Band 3, ADL to match?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about we put on our big boy pants, and match like we said we would.

EDIT: To add, this is a direct quote from the AFC website
Because we don't want him. Kelly was asked would we match, if he publicly hesitated on that, we lose any leverage to get the Saints to the trade table for picks.

Trust me, if there's no trade for picks involved in all of this, I'll join the torches and pitchforks crew.

simply put, it would be Crouch, our 2nd and 3rd for a mid 1st and mid 2nd. Leaves us with picks 1, 9, 12, 31 and Atkins compo. I don't like it because St Kilda make out like bandits getting Crouch without having to give anything up and the compo we get means we have to bundle it with other picks to get back into he 1st round AND lose that first pick on draft night 2

There is no draft night 2.

The fact we didn’t instantly match already weakens our position.

You can’t talk a big game and then squib it.

GWS took 2-3 days to match Geelongs offer, despite it being known they would do so once it was lodged.

Whilst I think it is weak that Kelly talks tough but won't back it up, we also need to remember that 16 other clubs did not value B Crouch higher than the Saints have.

Just shows his place in the game.

And being caught with the Coke in his off season would have no affect on his value. It is reasonably common in the industry and accepted in clubland.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Whilst I agree with most of this, it doesn't matter how common coke is in clubland, it does matter to clubs how often you get sprung for it on top of other inDISCRETIONs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely it's feasible that we're using the maximum available time to work through all possible options(including trade options) before announcing we match. I would have thought we'd be negligent in not taking all the time we can to extract the best outcome?

If we end up just accepting the compo then I'll be as pissed as anyone, but until then..

We can't trade without matching. He's signed a playing contract with St Kilda that's been lodged with the AFL. The only thing that changes that is our matching of the contract.
We trade picks. And don't match.

Because we don't want him. Kelly was asked would we match, if he publicly hesitated on that, we lose any leverage to get the Saints to the trade table for picks.

Trust me, if there's no trade for picks involved in all of this, I'll join the torches and pitchforks crew.
We are going to have to get clever, are we capable of that ??

Saw Daniel Talia in Next Gen last Friday do workouts at 9am. A true professional.

I was going to say I have never seen Talia in the off-season there, but then you said 9am. :drunk:

During the season, our defenders often train there as a unit.

I often see Hartlett trying to impress the ladies, but Im not sure they know who he is? :drunk:

I get what you're saying, and to some degree agree. As far as the AFL is concerned though, is if we don't match, we have accepted the FA compensation.

I think that the problem with dealing directly with St Kilda to try an achieve a better outcome for us is that it'll involve trading players/picks and will have to be run past the AFL for approval. Any trade they feel greatly favours 1 party is at risk of being knocked back.

And right now what players are St Kilda likely to want to part with that Adelaide actually want? In fact in this scenario it seems more likely we'd be more interested in sending fringe players their way for draft picks, draft picks that to date they have publicly stated aren't on the table.

I get what you're saying, and to some degree agree. As far as the AFL is concerned though, is if we don't match, we have accepted the FA compensation.

I think that the problem with dealing directly with St Kilda to try an achieve a better outcome for us is that it'll involve trading players/picks and will have to be run past the AFL for approval. Any trade they feel greatly favours 1 party is at risk of being knocked back.

And right now what players are St Kilda likely to want to part with that Adelaide actually want? In fact in this scenario it seems more likely we'd be more interested in sending fringe players their way for draft picks, draft picks that to date they have publicly stated aren't on the table.
They've said their first isn't on the table, not the rest.

But the rest of theirs are worthless really.

Which is a shame as he's done a lot right so far.

This is a huge black mark, it wouldn't put him on the Burton path but it's a long way back.

Not for me, what more do you expect from a bloke that's been in the AFL industry for a few months. The deifying of him around here has bordered on insanity. He'll be a fine head of footy, but he's a greenhorn. This will just be an early setback that shows that he's human and has a bit to learn. This is why Balme for a couple of years would have been awesome.

Too easily exploited. Player earns $400k base + incentive of $600k if he kicks more than 150 goals in a season. Under your scenario, the compo would be calculated on $1m a season.

Could also be exploited by the team receiving the player in this case.

Imagine Saints already have pick 2 (less important later in the round), they'd artificially lower Brad's contract with soft triggers to avoid us getting pick 2 before theirs.

In your scenario perhaps the answer is ok what does the player average over the last 3 years... 50 goals a season? Ok this means the team values 50 goals at $200,000 and becomes a $600,000 player for the purpose of compensation.

Or calculate the chance of a player hitting performance triggers based on recent career averages and including that in the compensation calculations.

With ridiculous ones like a midfielder kicking 150 goals just isn't approved by the AFL.

I don't know, there has to be a better way.

I was always against compensation at all, with the reward being the extra cap space to go out and get your own free agent but the possibility of pick 2 (temporarily) changed my mind this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back