Delisted #33: Brayden "Donny" Ham - not offered another contract - 18/10

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it fascinating that in a "professional" sporting environment he is unable to put on weight. He definitely has the talent.
Lol we've been scared to properly put on weight on anyone since the saga finished

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seriously wonder what kind of bullshit nutritionists we have that don't tell him, or anyone else, to eat? It's not hard.
I'd suggest it's as much as our strength and conditioning staff as anyone

It’s a yes from me. I think he has the class, athleticism and game smarts.

Needs weight badly but that will come
I can tell you now not many players his size put on over 5kg while still in full training. He has footy smarts and is a running machine but he is simply too small and we are too small over too many positions. For him to stay then we would be looking to replace two of Parish , Merrett , Sheil or McGrath with taller / bigger midfielders.

I can tell you now not many players his size put on over 5kg while still in full training. He has footy smarts and is a running machine but he is simply too small and we are too small over too many positions. For him to stay then we would be looking to replace two of Parish , Merrett , Sheil or McGrath with taller / bigger midfielders.
That's pretty much it. I was also shocked to find out he's 21, turning 22 in April. He's still small especially for his age, and I thought he was like 19.

At this rate, he'd be lucky to fill out and have an AFL size frame by 25 - that's if it happens at all. Life is cruel sometimes and even though it may bless you with some good skills, it can leave you high and dry with a child's body.

Move him to half back. Try to model his game on Jayden Short. We need small defenders, especially if Saad goes.

Move him to half back. Try to model his game on Jayden Short. We need small defenders, especially if Saad goes.

I am just not sure he will be strong enough. Every time he goes near a contest he is easily moved out of the way. I do not doubt his ability. I just have serious questions on him getting much bigger. He is 21 and still around the 70-72 kg mark. He has not really got any bigger in two seasons. It is very unlikely he will even put on 5kg.

I am just not sure he will be strong enough. Every time he goes near a contest he is easily moved out of the way. I do not doubt his ability. I just have serious questions on him getting much bigger. He is 21 and still around the 70-72 kg mark. He has not really got any bigger in two seasons. It is very unlikely he will even put on 5kg.
And even if he does....can he carry the extra weight and and retain the running ability that is his main attribute? Its a small frame so maybe not.

I wouldn't even try to bulk him up - just try to get him wiry strong and hard bodied like a Kade Simpson or Bob Murphy, turn him into a running machine and see if he can play like that. Fletch another example of a skinny guy who seemed to play to his strengths rather than try and change his body shape. If he cant then he just wasn't cut out for AFL footy.

And even if he does....can he carry the extra weight and and retain the running ability that is his main attribute? Its a small frame so maybe not.

I wouldn't even try to bulk him up - just try to get him wiry strong and hard bodied like a Kade Simpson or Bob Murphy, turn him into a running machine and see if he can play like that. Fletch another example of a skinny guy who seemed to play to his strengths rather than try and change his body shape. If he cant then he just wasn't cut out for AFL footy.
Agree with this. He won’t ever have guns like Zaharakis but could still end up tougher lol.

I just like his run and class. Hopeful the strength will just click up a couple of notches to adequate.

Lachie Neale did it.

I don't mind him but suspect he might be one that doesn't quite make it. If he does stay on the list I don't mind the half back calls at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back