Recruiting Trade & Free Agency VIII

What should we do with our first round picks?

• Take 6 & 7 to the draft

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Trade up the order so we can get Logan McDonald

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Split 7 to get the other trades done

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Something else...

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATTENTION OPPOSITION POSTERS: You are on the Essendon board - not the draft board, or the main board or your club board. You are welcome to post here but you will mind your manners or you will be carded. Don't waltz in here telling the locals what's happening/not happening, what's dumb etc. By the same token sealioning will also not be tolerated so be warned. You do not have equal standing here no matter how right you think you are.

Draft Combine
Tuesday October 1 - Friday October 4

AFL Grand Final
Saturday October 24

Free Agency Window
Friday October 30 – Friday November 6

AFL Trade Period (Players and picks)
Wednesday November 4 – 7.30pm Thursday November 12

List Lodgement 1
Wednesday November 25

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Thursday November 26 - Sunday November 29

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Monday November 30

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Monday November 30 - Tuesday December 1

AFL Trade Period (Picks only)
Concludes Thursday December 3

National Draft
7pm Wednesday December 9

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
12pm Thursday December 10

Final List Lodgement
Mid-December (tbc)

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
Wednesday January 6, 2021 – will conclude prior to the start of the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season
Any issues with it post in this thread:

Draft discussion goes here: Draft Watch

Father/Son & NGA discussion goes here: James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Poll results: Who should stay? | Which key forward do you want? | What would you give up to get Josh Dunkley?

Last edited:
Which is why it was suggested, but according to the article clubs felt they could get by without it and it would be unfair since they didn't know it was a possibility at 7.29pm on Thursday when they all took unders or coughed up overs in desperation
That's just poor list management. Justin is a bad list manager. The best remained staunch :musicalnote:do-do-do do-do-doro :musicalnote:

Mcdonald might be great, but as I've posted before, KPFs are the hardest position to project from the draft to the AFL. I'd understand why, but I hope we don't do anything silly to trade up for him. We have plenty of areas to fix.

KPFs are essentially our (AFL's) version of quarterbacks in a draft sense. Teams are obsessed with taking them early, even if the hit-rate is much lower than it should be.

Really, unless someone excellent falls in our lap, I'm ok for now with the talls we have, Wright coming in, as well as Ayre on the horizon.

In a goal sense, the gap between small forwards and KPFs seems smaller than it used to be. If the best KPFs are scoring 2 goals/game, you have to question the value we put upon them when small and general forwards can be found in greater supply, more cheaply, and can put up 1-2 goals/game themselves, whilst also being involved in general play and setting up others.

Targetting capable smalls/general forwards and getting a KPF who can take a mark, crash a park, and keep their opponent from intercepting all day is probably as valuable at the moment as anything else. We can't expect too much out of them, but there's no reason to think Wright, Stewart, Hooker, aren't capable of this kind of stuff. I think the question is whether we can find the Papleys, Fantasias, Ryans and Butlers.

I feel like Dunkley and Pickering could've played harder than they did. One thing to nominate, but needed him to put more pressure on the Dogs.. time to move on though, one we should have got, but didn't..

Annoys me that Dogs supporters would've been claiming we overpaid if we'd have coughed up 2 1sts, but now we "didn't do enough".. damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess...

Call yourself something that references Will Snelling or Dylan Clarke then.

Dill Snarke

I think they should have had it. Not to know the list sizes or cap but to expect to finalise plans for the draft seems absolutely crazy. I suppose you can still trade excess picks, though you'd probably get bugger all for them.
Apparently, there was a vote and 17 clubs voted against a further trade period and 1 voted for it.*

* this may have been made up

So thoughts on rookie listing Cam McCarthy. Obviously a little bit of a head unit but showed at GWS what he could do. Averages nearly 1.5 goals/game. To me other than the ruck option he shows more than 2MP.

If he can be straighten up I don't see why he couldn't be a 30+ goal a season player (2019 kicked 19 in 12 games). If he's not its back to WA. But he's in our age bracket 23 (and other than mental I assume his body should be pretty good after only being lightly used 69 games) I think and on Etihad under the roof I think his game style excels. He'd also fit in as the 3rd tall after 2MP and Stewart. Also would mean that Stringer could continue his midfield transition.

It also could mean that if Stringer doesn't work out with greater midfield time thay Stewart could swing into Defence to see if he has the poise down there as his more mature body helps cover Hooker/Hurley if the newer recruits need more time developing.

Burn away

So thoughts on rookie listing Cam McCarthy. Obviously a little bit of a head unit but showed at GWS what he could do. Averages nearly 1.5 goals/game. To me other than the ruck option he shows more than 2MP.

If he can be straighten up I don't see why he couldn't be a 30+ goal a season player (2019 kicked 19 in 12 games). If he's not its back to WA. But he's in our age bracket 23 (and other than mental I assume his body should be pretty good after only being lightly used 69 games) I think and on Etihad under the roof I think his game style excels. He'd also fit in as the 3rd tall after 2MP and Stewart. Also would mean that Stringer could continue his midfield transition.

It also could mean that if Stringer doesn't work out with greater midfield time thay Stewart could swing into Defence to see if he has the poise down there as his more mature body helps cover Hooker/Hurley if the newer recruits need more time developing.

Burn away
I dunno if he'd want to play AFL again tbh.

To be fair Patton wasn’t a busy because of talent, 3 acls killed him. In 2017 he dominated and then did his knee again. Scully was the best winger in the game in ‘16 and ‘17 until he ruined in ankle at the start of 18 and hasn’t been the same since.
All part of the risk. Francis struggles with mental health and soft tissue issues.:)
You can get the selection right and still lose.

Point is it's hard to get them via FA or trade as well, Imagine trying to convince Ben or Max King to come to us.
There have been a few come via later picks.

Burn away

I think his AFL days are long over

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oscar McDonald for free yes please

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah that seems likely. Make him a rookie and then move him to the inactive list before the season starts.
See how he tackles his rehabilitation some have said he has been a bit lazy so could be the wat

Oscar McDonald for free yes please
He’s crap

He’s crap
Better then Hooker/Hurley who are cooked, Ambrose is always injured, Francis/Ridley are better as third defender. Leaves Zerk Irish Brand as KPD

McDonald can at least shut down the best key forward

Better then Hooker/Hurley who are cooked, Ambrose is always injured, Francis/Ridley are better as third defender. Leaves Zerk Irish Brand as KPD

McDonald can at least shut down the best key forward
Better than Hurley and Hooker? Ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back