Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XII - 💰💰💰

Remove this Banner Ad

I would. Has shown plenty in his time. Easily worth a contract extension, even if his role gets downgraded to a depth midfielder.
That's not the issue. It's his constant injuries.

Small forward that can mark the footy overhead. Gresham is doing a lot of good stuff but he’s not doing that.

Stengle would be good, we don’t have anyone with a high range drink driving charge on our books, big list hole.

Small forward that can mark the footy overhead. Gresham is doing a lot of good stuff but he’s not doing that.

Stengle would be good, we don’t have anyone with a high range drink driving charge on our books, big list hole.

We currently play

Gresham
Davey Jnr
Guelfi

Ideally you upgrade at least one, if not two of those.

Can Davey Jnr find another level?
Do Jayden Davey or Wanganeen have the ability to step up?
Do we nab Smartt in the MSD?

Guelfi is tough and hard-working, but if you can replace him with someone who's got the scoring threat and closing speed of AMT then our forward-line goes up a notch again.
ADJ shows glimpses but in a big final I wouldn't rely on him to be able to handle the pressure and physicality right now.

What about a medium crumbing marking forward that wouldn’t cost us any draft capital? Is medium a little bit too tall?

Alex Davies has been selected to play the Cats tonight.
Tall inside mid whose career isnt really moving forward at GC. If we're looking for someone and Setterfield's longevity isn't convincing, he might still be worth a look. Out of contract this year.

What about a medium crumbing marking forward that wouldn’t cost us any draft capital? Is medium a little bit too tall?

Stengle would be great but does anyone realistically see him leaving?

Eddie Betts’ wife is running point on this, so unless we can buy her some crappy off the plan Metricon job in Armstrong creek we don’t exactly have leverage here.

Stengle would be great but does anyone realistically see him leaving?

Eddie Betts’ wife is running point on this, so unless we can buy her some crappy off the plan Metricon job in Armstrong creek we don’t exactly have leverage here.
I’d say that poster is referring to medium forward flavour of the month Cameron Zurhaar

Matt Rosa certainly has his work cut out for him

Perkins, Caldwell and Stringer the priorities
Followed by Jones, Cox, Kelly, Setterfield and Guelfi
Then Hayes and Menzie. Would put a 2yr offer in front of Hayes to avoid a D'Ambrosio situation.
Think we can leave Heppell, Shiel, Goldy and Hind until very late to see how they finish the season

View attachment 1989939
Harrison Jones is contracted for 2025 if he plays 2 more games

Stringer, hopefully he is happy with 2 years and not needing 3 with the 3rd being triggered base. I think he settles for 2 x 500k. I wonder if he would consider a 1 year deal and then hes a FA and after another good year may get a strong 2 year deal elsewhere or we have to stump up similar

Caldwell - Cant see going anywhere, probably gets 3 year deal and youd think enjoying his time

Perkins - May be getting 4 year deals elsewhere, im a little surprised we havnt penned his deal, but maybe its him wanting to see if he can really show off the next 14 weeks and increase his $$ by 100-200k

Cox - Probably in a similar boat to Perkins, probably only has upside in his contract by waiting

Setterfield - No doubt waiting to see how the rest of the year plays out, whether getting games ect. Will be playing in the AFL system next year no doubt, someone offers 2 years, id say hes backing himself to show his value in the next 15 weeks. Id be surprised if we wernt happy to do a 1 year deal right now for him though

L.Hayes - Bit worried about this one, would have to atleast have a 2 year contract in front of him from us, maybe even a 3 year deal

Perkins - May be getting 4 year deals elsewhere, im a little surprised we havnt penned his deal, but maybe its him wanting to see if he can really show off the next 14 weeks and increase his $$ by 100-200k
he may well be a top 5 player at the club, with attributes we cannot cover through any other player, by seasons end. suspect his management waits.

hayes is certainly a worry if he hasn't had a look at senior level, and keeps up his current form plenty of clubs will come sniffing. not too concerned if its a late first-rounder in exchange, mind. we can theoretically roll that into something that will better balance the list e.g. dynamic small forward.

he may well be a top 5 player at the club, with attributes we cannot cover through any other player, by seasons end. suspect his management waits.

hayes is certainly a worry if he hasn't had a look at senior level, and keeps up his current form plenty of clubs will come sniffing. not too concerned if its a late first-rounder in exchange, mind. we can theoretically roll that into something that will better balance the list e.g. dynamic small forward.

I think it’d be a second rounder for Hayes, wouldn’t it? A former pick 25 who hasn’t played a game…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d say that poster is referring to medium forward flavour of the month Cameron Zurhaar

Can understand my confusion, I don’t think Zurhaar is a good fit for us at all because he’s essentially plays like an old school full forward. Would cannibalise Langford and eventually Caddy most likely.

Can understand my confusion, I don’t think Zurhaar is a good fit for us at all because he’s essentially plays like an old school full forward. Would cannibalise Langford and eventually Caddy most likely.
Langford plays out of the square for us, he doesn’t need to play there to be effective. Zurhaar is required to play taller at north, but he has the ability to play small or tall. He is a good footballer who could play many roles for us, whether we want to outbid every other club financially is the other question.

I feel plenty are getting caught up in the current roles and size of the player.

Langford plays out of the square for us, he doesn’t need to play there to be effective. Zurhaar is required to play taller at north, but he has the ability to play small or tall. He is a good footballer who could play many roles for us, whether we want to outbid every other club financially is the other question.

I feel plenty are getting caught up in the current roles and size of the player.

I think it’s less about size and more about speed and strength (which size is often a shorthand for)

Essendon needs more fast players who can both create forward pressure and create/kick goals.

Zurhar is potentially a very good player in a better situation. I just don’t see him as a significant upgrade over Langford/Stringer/Perkins as a medium forward and he’s not fast enough to be considered for a SF role.

I think it’s less about size and more about speed and strength (which size is often a shorthand for)

Essendon needs more fast players who can both create forward pressure and create/kick goals.

Zurhar is potentially a very good player in a better situation. I just don’t see him as a significant upgrade over Langford/Stringer/Perkins as a medium forward and he’s not fast enough to be considered for a SF role.
I think zurhaar is easily quick enough to be a small forward. He’s faster than Gresham who plays that role for us currently. Zurhaar has featured in north’s top recorded speeds over his career plenty.

Not to mention he can take a mark and is a match up nightmare. As far as pressure goes, When he entered the league was one of the better tacklers in the comp. His role and motivation at north would be different to Essendon.

Has ability to go through mids for stretches too.

I’d be very interested at the right price.

What did everyone think of Moyle last night who we have been linked to??

We got in the ear of Malcolm Rosa. Lloyd Johnson looked a pretty lively type could be another to have a chat to

What did everyone think of Moyle last night who we have been linked to??

We got in the ear of Malcolm Rosa. Lloyd Johnson looked a pretty lively type could be another to have a chat to
I did wonder about Moyle. We need an AFL ready stop-gap if Goldy retires. Draper's regular injuries are hampering his development. Bryan isn't developing his physicality and may be gone.

Ruck is an issue.

I did wonder about Moyle. We need an AFL ready stop-gap if Goldy retires. Draper's regular injuries are hampering his development. Bryan isn't developing his physicality and may be gone.

Ruck is an issue.
Club doesn’t rate Draper as a number one ruck but wants him in as the back up and forward is my take. Moyle looks ready to play afl footy on the regular and will come pretty cheaply if he requests a trade imo

Club doesn’t rate Draper as a number one ruck but wants him in as the back up and forward is my take. Moyle looks ready to play afl footy on the regular and will come pretty cheaply if he requests a trade imo

I think they rate him as the number one ruck, but more it's just they don't trust his body enough to believe it can last through a game, let alone season, of #1 ruck duties (ie: 75-80% of the game).

To this point, it's looking like they might be correct on that.

Also the best interest of the club not to say someone is there number 1 ruck, really limits getting a 2nd good ruck to the club

Although i think Bryan is that man, yeh he may not be as physical as some, but as long as he competes in ruck contest and follows up ive no issue. He has other strengths elsewhere over other rucks

Tim English aint overly physical and hes arguably the best ruck in the comp

TDK, Jackson also similar

Also the best interest of the club not to say someone is there number 1 ruck, really limits getting a 2nd good ruck to the club

Although i think Bryan is that man, yeh he may not be as physical as some, but as long as he competes in ruck contest and follows up ive no issue. He has other strengths elsewhere over other rucks

Tim English aint overly physical and hes arguably the best ruck in the comp

TDK, Jackson also similar

English is a shockingly bad ruckman at actually doing ruck things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back