Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not sure what many thought would change given our biggest weak spot IMO is marking power forward of the footy and Caddy will be two years away from being able to fix that and he will need a partner in crime. We improved a few spots on the edges but we still need another 2 or 3 strong marking big men.
When you say big men are you thinking KPPs or just taller mids/wingers/flankers who can take a contested grab?

When you say big men are you thinking KPPs or just taller mids/wingers/flankers who can take a contested grab?
Havnt we recruited/drafted big mids

Setterfield
Durham
Martin
Perkins
Tsatas
Duursma

And big 195-200cm +

Mckay
Reid
Caddy
Cox
L.Hayes

Recently

Are people just getting carried away by todays performance

I played in a side round 1, we lost to a bottom 3 side in a 12 man comp by like 12 goals. We went onto win the flag that year after losing our best player by like 5 goals

I really liked qtr 1 but disappointed after that, but not taking too much from it. Were fit, injury free and was a good hitout, saints were impressive

Havnt we recruited/drafted big mids

Setterfield
Durham
Martin
Perkins
Tsatas
Duursma

And big 195-200cm +

Mckay
Reid
Caddy
Cox
L.Hayes

Recently

Are people just getting carried away by todays performance

I played in a side round 1, we lost to a bottom 3 side in a 12 man comp by like 12 goals. We went onto win the flag that year after losing our best player by like 5 goals

I really liked qtr 1 but disappointed after that, but not taking too much from it. Were fit, injury free and was a good hitout, saints were impressive
Don’t think the saints were that impressive, we were just horrible

Don’t think the saints were that impressive, we were just horrible
Considering the players they had missing yeh it wasnt a great result

Crouch, Zak Jones, Sinclair Hunter Clark didnt play..... did even wilkie? Cant remember seeing him, but didnt pay huge attention on them

Its the defensive transition. The Parish, Shiel, Zerrett, Martin, Stringer, Gresham ect ect types and their mindset

Anyone have the CC numbers... wouldnt surprise me if they wernt that bad

We must be getting smashed at half fwd aswell after we win clearance, or we need to start getting at the front of stoppages more as were not getting CC deep enough, which obviously is easier to score from and also easier to defend

Another really good KPF would be good but at the end of the day we need some more class as well.
Let's be honest, we need lots

Fwd needs marking and tackling pressure, plus some xfactor

We have a lot of mids that are good but no real combination that would put them in the top 2/3 of the comp. Outside a Stringer cameo, none are game breakers.

Arguably our best ruck is a 37yo veteran

Our defence lacks rebound threat and isn't that hard to play against.

Let's be honest, we need lots

Fwd needs marking and tackling pressure, plus some xfactor

We have a lot of mids that are good but no real combination that would put them in the top 2/3 of the comp. Outside a Stringer cameo, none are game breakers.

Arguably our best ruck is a 37yo veteran

Our defence lacks rebound threat and isn't that hard to play against.
Liam Baker. Let's spend.

Considering the players they had missing yeh it wasnt a great result

Crouch, Zak Jones, Sinclair Hunter Clark didnt play..... did even wilkie? Cant remember seeing him, but didnt pay huge attention on them

Its the defensive transition. The Parish, Shiel, Zerrett, Martin, Stringer, Gresham ect ect types and their mindset

Anyone have the CC numbers... wouldnt surprise me if they wernt that bad

We must be getting smashed at half fwd aswell after we win clearance, or we need to start getting at the front of stoppages more as were not getting CC deep enough, which obviously is easier to score from and also easier to defend

Wilkie played at least the first quarter. Had a tonne of intercepts.

Thats been a need for 3 years. Dudoro has stupidly spent it at the other end of the field with multiple's not being on the list anymore
Not 100% true. Eyre was a forward. Cox played both ends. Perkins was a marking half forward. Jones forward. Hunter forward. Baldwin forward. Gown forward. Voss forward. The problem has been the forwards we did draft have had no impact or in the case of Cox and Perkins they have been used in different roles.

Not 100% true. Eyre was a forward. Cox played both ends. Perkins was a marking half forward. Jones forward. Hunter forward. Baldwin forward. Gown forward. Voss forward. The problem has been the forwards we did draft have had no impact or in the case of Cox and Perkins they have been used in different roles.
Maybe he means the spend for quality, thinking of McKay's contract v. who was brought into the forwardline. In that case Naughton was resigned early, King has resigned early (only 2 years though - interesting). JUH and McDonald to decide this year.

Edit: Thilthorpe and Allen are both end of 25 as well. West Coast connection might be interesting as well...

I am not sure what many thought would change given our biggest weak spot IMO is marking power forward of the footy and Caddy will be two years away from being able to fix that and he will need a partner in crime. We improved a few spots on the edges but we still need another 2 or 3 strong marking big men.

Like Say Draper and Wright?

Yesterday’s game included some truely terrible moments from Merrett, Parish, Martin, Langford, Stringer ect all the good players who you expect to perform well just collectively had a bad day.

I think there’s a lot from yesterday to just take a mulligan on. Probably should have been up by a few goals at the quarter and half if expected outcomes happened. Ie Guelfi kicks it from the top of the goal square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like Say Draper and Wright?

Yesterday’s game included some truely terrible moments from Merrett, Parish, Martin, Langford, Stringer ect all the good players who you expect to perform well just collectively had a bad day.

I think there’s a lot from yesterday to just take a mulligan on. Probably should have been up by a few goals at the quarter and half if expected outcomes happened. Ie Guelfi kicks it from the top of the goal square.
Draper and Wright will help for sure but both are not strong contested marks around the ground and do not take many contested marks on the wing when we need relief. What they will do is give us better targets in the forward line.
I am not giving them a mulligan on the marking issue as there is no short term fix for that and it is why sides can defend us easily. It is the flaw in our list that will cost us this year.

Maybe he means the spend for quality, thinking of McKay's contract v. who was brought into the forwardline. In that case Naughton was resigned early, King has resigned early (only 2 years though - interesting). JUH and McDonald to decide this year.

Edit: Thilthorpe and Allen are both end of 25 as well. West Coast connection might be interesting as well...
We still needed a FB just as much as we needed a CHF at the end of last year.

We still needed a FB just as much as we needed a CHF at the end of last year.
Ben was fine
And as much as I can't stand his kicking, his brother is a good contested mark too.

So was ok with targeting him

We've not had a good CHF, and by extension 2x key fwd targets, since Lloyd/Lucas. And im not targeting that quality, just two together who you'd say are good

Wright was good when he came over but the shoulder injury seems to have impacted him a bit
Hopefully he's confident with it this year.

I'd be sticking with Langford as CHF. Shorter side but he has IQ and can mark/kick.

wrote a long post but I'll simplify;

we draft young, raw KPP's (fwd & backs), yet almost most don't survive past year 2, the ones who do are not playing in the role they were originally drafted playing. Its as much development as it is talent ID.

wrote a long post but I'll simplify;

we draft young, raw KPP's (fwd & backs), yet almost most don't survive past year 2, the ones who do are not playing in the role they were originally drafted playing. Its as much development as it is talent ID.
One of the noticeable differences under scott is the focus on beefing up the development dept.

Clearly didnt go unnoticed by a guy who had insights into how our peers were performing in this area

Livid we didn’t take Darcy Wilson. Not necessarily at the expense of Caddy, but FMD he was an obvious slider.
Well it would have been either Wilson or Caddy if you wanted him .

Or trade future picks.
No one was trading many future picks to get into the draft last year. Easy to say in hindsight.
I was a fan of Wilson. He was in the three I would have been happy with . Hindsight is great . It is easy to say should’ve traded future picks.
We were only ever taking one pick in the top 20 . That is how it was .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back