Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks like we may have had a trade proposal where we would've got GWS' future first?

View attachment 1859559

Glad we turned it down. GWS is going to be good next year.

And with FS/Academy picks that would have been a 10 spot drop for what might be pick 23-25 next year.

If that was the best offer for trading back then trading up makes a lot more sense

Some players apart of the academy dont even get drafted. Always multiple players that aren’t apart of the academy that go 1st round
6 players went into the top 20 this year who weren’t in the AFL Academy. On the other side only 5 players from that squad didn’t get drafted.
2 U18 All Australians didn't get drafted so Kako hardly a definite to be drafted

Just been watching George Stevens' highlights on YT. Weird that we pick up guys like Dylan Clarke but overlook Stevens, who is quite a good kick and a good decision-maker.

May be a decision we come to rue.

Hope Archie Roberts turns out alright.

Just been watching George Stevens' highlights on YT. Weird that we pick up guys like Dylan Clarke but overlook Stevens, who is quite a good kick and a good decision-maker.

Clarke was more a hope they could improve the kicking pick from Dodoro as he could play but we are no longer set up for Dodoro to be making multiple captains picks so it is unlikely that there is any corelation .

On Stevens the knock is his running ability and being able to transfer into AFL pace and not just be a plodder. Based on what I have seen I think Stevens went around where he fits given that the big body plodders have not really been picked in recent years.

Personally I would have gone McAuliffe in front of Lual . McAuliffe has some risk as far as limited outside game but he has speed and power inside and is a good size. Do not mind the Roberts pick as much as he is a really good kick . I can see what the plan is and that is introducing a bit more speed on the outside but they will also need some more genuine contested ball winners as they go along. Maybe that is next year with the top end looking more midfield right now. :)

Wish list for the draft:

Forward capable of having a day out - has a history of kicking 5+ goals in a game - preference for KPF but open to any height

Run and carry defender with foot skills.

Setterfield back up/successor - big midfielder that loves the crash and bash - someone to clear the way for Tsatas et. al. into the future
Well, mostly what I wanted. But I can't help feel that we are at the mercy of Setterfield's body yet again. Was really hoping for Stevens

I wish we had have backed in our fitness team to trim his body down to AFL running standards.

Clarke was an athlete with no skills.

Stevens has skills but is not an athlete.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarke was more a hope they could improve the kicking pick from Dodoro as he could play but we are no longer set up for Dodoro to be making multiple captains picks so it is unlikely that there is any corelation .

On Stevens the knock is his running ability and being able to transfer into AFL pace and not just be a plodder. Based on what I have seen I think Stevens went around where he fits given that the big body plodders have not really been picked in recent years.

Personally I would have gone McAuliffe in front of Lual . McAuliffe has some risk as far as limited outside game but he has speed and power inside and is a good size. Do not mind the Roberts pick as much as he is a really good kick . I can see what the plan is and that is introducing a bit more speed on the outside but they will also need some more genuine contested ball winners as they go along. Maybe that is next year with the top end looking more midfield right now. :)

Stevens is high risk high reward. If he slims down and develops an afl standard tank he’s an AA chance.

If not he doesn’t make it out of the vfl. I understand going to fill needs out the list but gee I wouldn’t mind betting on the chance someone becomes an AA star vs finding a good HB

Clarke was an athlete with no skills.

Stevens has skills but is not an athlete.
Clarke was not just an athlete. He could play. Had good game sense and ability. Just as much as Stevens .The only issue he had was ball drop which was a major flaw of course .

Stevens is high risk high reward. If he slims down and develops an afl standard tank he’s an AA chance.

If not he doesn’t make it out of the vfl. I understand going to fill needs out the list but gee I wouldn’t mind betting on the chance someone becomes an AA star vs finding a good HB

How is he a 'high' risk? Pick 58 is pretty late. 50% of those picks won't make 50 games, and there's about a 3% chance of an AA there.

For a team that lacks running power and has had issues developing running power in their players, Stevens probably isn't the smartest play.

Roberts already has an AFL standard tank (better than that really) and has a good kick, both of which are traits we sorely need.

I am not doubting that, am having reservations he won't go in the first round as was suggested
If he has a decent season he will. All it takes is 1 or 2 teams to really want/ need a speedy small forward and he’ll go top 20. Go look and Phoenix gothards numbers then go look at kakos as an under ager. A lot of clubs wouldn’t had gothard in their top 20, but gws fell in love with what he brings, think they said they rated him top 7 in the pool.

Interesting part of an article in the HS today was a bit of an explanation as to why the middle of this draft was very even and many had different views. The Victorian boys missing the under 16 year left a bit of a hole in the information available.

Interesting part of an article in the HS today was a bit of an explanation as to why the middle of this draft was very even and many had different views. The Victorian boys missing the under 16 year left a bit of a hole in the information available.

When do the covid affected years stop being spoken about? Surely we are getting close.

When do the covid affected years stop being spoken about? Surely we are getting close.
Next year everyone will have had a full underage program.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back