Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Re Caddy, is anyone concerned he is too short? And maybe he still growing. If you are an undersized KPP you need some tricks. Nate seems good in the air which is a big plus but he is going to need to be a Curnow type if stays at 193cm otherwise ends up in Stringer territory (192cm).

Re Caddy, is anyone concerned he is too short? And maybe he still growing. If you are an undersized KPP you need some tricks. Nate seems good in the air which is a big plus but he is going to need to be a Curnow type if stays at 193cm otherwise ends up in Stringer territory (192cm).
Maybe read up on him a tad and it will alleviate some of your concerns

Maybe read up on him a tad and it will alleviate some of your concerns
I have a bit and I’ve seen highlights but am yet to read a review of anyone ever drafted that says they aren’t up to it. And I’m not saying Nate won’t work but i do look at height and body types. That’s why Josh Fraser was never a ruck, watts never a KPF (had the height but not the width or tricks), and why I am concerned re Nik Cox. Among others. Why didn’t Cats draft Caddy? They need that type of player more than us. And pick 31 (36) isn’t the answer.

I have a bit and I’ve seen highlights but am yet to read a review of anyone ever drafted that says they aren’t up to it. And I’m not saying Nate won’t work but i do look at height and body types. That’s why Josh Fraser was never a ruck, watts never a KPF (had the height but not the width or tricks), and why I am concerned re Nik Cox. Among others. Why didn’t Cats draft Caddy? They need that type of player more than us. And pick 31 (36) isn’t the answer.
Well you clearly haven’t otherwise you would know he has a huge wingspan and massive true reach height, which means being 193cm doesn’t really mean much. Caddy is never going to be the no1 key, he’ll be the 2nd or 3rd, Oscar Allen was drafted at 191, curnow 192, riewoldt, 191, Walker 192, Hurley was only 192.

They didn’t draft caddy because they need defenders as much as forwards, who knows what their draft strategy was/is.

Do Cats need that kind of player more than us?

They have Jeremy Cameron, we have Peter Wright.

They need a developing KPD just as much as a developing, we needed a KPF more than a KPD. Easy trade for them.

People keep assuming it's some kind of master plan by Geelong because they don't rate Caddy. If he was 198cm he'd have been drafted higher, that's the whole reason he was still available at 10.

Do Cats need that kind of player more than us?

They have Jeremy Cameron, we have Peter Wright.

They need a developing KPD just as much as a developing, we needed a KPF more than a KPD. Easy trade for them.

People keep assuming it's some kind of master plan by Geelong because they don't rate Caddy. If he was 198cm he'd have been drafted higher, that's the whole reason he was still available at 10.
Walter is only 194…

The height will not be what makes or breaks him. It will come down to him playing smart footy a bit more often and maturing into a hard working lead up forward and not someone who just wants to hang back and try and take marks over the pack. He has the pace and aggression but has to work on being that up and back guy. That will be his go. It will not be standing in the goal square taking contested marks. In saying that he is a good one on one mark. He may turn out to be Josh Battle and not really make it is a forward but people need to look at him for what he is and that is not Max King and will not be the bloke who stands deep and you kick it on his head.. He will play a lot higher and he most likely will grow another couple of cm anyway.

I think people forget the likes of Nick Riewoldt (193cm) Jack Darling (191cm) Jack Gunston (193cm) Barry Hall (194cm) etc where all very effective forwards in that height range. They see the Max Kings of the world and think 200cm is better.

Think the Cats rated both but maybe O'Sullivan's versatility a fraction more and they took 5 players so getting another pick in the thirties was a decent option for them as they did not have to use one of the later picks.

Which big bodied mid would you have considered?
Tigers took Kane McAuliffe at the next pick . 187/86kg inside midfielder with a good burst of speed and power from the stoppage. I am not downplaying Lual. He has something to offer but I did like McAuliffe a fair way out as someone to really look at mid second round.

I thought Cats needed a KPD as much as anything and couldnt understand why they wouldnt take COS

I think they wouldve gone Caddy aswell

I think the cats had COS ahead of Caddy , no doubt

But cats do have Jezza, S.Neale, O.Henry, P.Foster

All the last 3 are super young in years q, 2 or 3

And now M.Edwards aswell which i think theyd look to tandem with Conway not one or the other

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. Just bring the maximum list size up to 44 now that the salary cap is bigger. * the rookie spots off.

Keep the Cat B rookie spots.

Done.
yep, the "rookie" thing was to pay a kid minimum wage, train 2-3 days a week and if he came on offer him a full time spot. Now they are pretty much senior listed bar some very minor restrictions in terms of playing which should be F-ed off anyways

yep, the "rookie" thing was to pay a kid minimum wage, train 2-3 days a week and if he came on offer him a full time spot. Now they are pretty much senior listed bar some very minor restrictions in terms of playing which should be F-ed off anyways
They have pretty much destroyed it for sure.

12/22 have been previously AFL listed today

They have destroyed it
As others have said. Increase the list size and go back to the old rookie system for players with zero AFL games and only allow them to play in place of an injured player.

Rookie deals are 1 year. If we scrap the rookie list and draft are we giving the blokes at the end of the draft 1 or 2 years? It’s abit of a s**t show but serves a purpose

Rookie deals are 1 year. If we scrap the rookie list and draft are we giving the blokes at the end of the draft 1 or 2 years? It’s abit of a s**t show but serves a purpose
Round 1 draftees = 3 years

Round 2 - 3 draftees = 2 years

Round 4 - 6 round draftees = 1 year deals.

That round 4 may end up being a pick normally reserved for a 2 year deal. Is what it is

Round 1 draftees = 3 years

Round 2 - 3 draftees = 2 years

Round 4 - 6 round draftees = 1 year deals.

That round 4 may end up being a pick normally reserved for a 2 year deal. Is what it is
First I’ve heard that. I thought all ND picks were 2 year deals

It is not about scrappy the rookie deals but more not allowing clubs to place guys with AFL experience in the rookie space. The only reason it is a bit of s**t is it is being exploited. It was actually a good system when they where genuine rookies and where able to be promoted onto the senior list to cover an LTI . It should be for undrafted players or Irish players or VFL players who have not played AFL footy. Clubs should not be allowed to delist guys and then redraft them as a rookie and the should not be allowed to draft players with AFL experience as rookies.
There should be a LTI system for the likes of Melbourne in the Melksham situation where he is out for the season before it begins.

Langford a cm shorter and he’s just kicked 50+ and this guys faster

Jeka being with us 2 weeks must be something.

At least Narkle last half a season before port plucked him from our VFL side.

Langford a cm shorter and he’s just kicked 50+ and this guys faster
9 of the top 13 goal kickers are 195cm or less. The premiership team had 1 key forward at 192cm. Josh Kennedy is the best pure key forward of the last ten years and he was 194cm. He is not undersized if he has the tools.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back