Prediction Assistant Coaches 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a reason I didn't put Luke power in there
We had made some decent recruitments last year in Power, Playfair and O’keefe.

Unfortunately Covid struck and we had to let Playfair and O’keefe go.

We need to make a few changes this year with Barker the priority. Bruce and potentially Stanton to.

I would have loved Giansercusa, Burns, Macrae to come to Carlton. These are the type we need

We had made some decent recruitments last year in Power, Playfair and O’keefe.

Unfortunately Covid struck and we had to let Playfair and O’keefe go.

We need to make a few changes this year with Barker the priority. Bruce and potentially Stanton to.

I would have loved Giansercusa, Burns, Macrae to come to Carlton. These are the type we need

Don't think we let O'Keefe go?

Hawthorn Premierships either side of Barker's tenure. Coincidence? Probably.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
An assistant coach who has aspirations to be a senior coach yet has stayed at the same club since 2011 isn’t great.

hope we make some changes

Barker is definitely comfortable being comfortable

....I have become....comfortably dumb.

I don't know what he does behind visibility, but as un-inspirational an individual is hard to find.
That sounds terrible, but I've yet to see him drive any standards on the field. Just comes across somewhat disinterested.....but there must be something there.

Damn you Smashbox. Bumping this gave me false hope again.

I'm resigned now to being patient til the end of next year and i should get my holy trinity of wishes...no Murphy, no Casboult and no Johnny bloody Barker lol.

*small part of me believes i might be saying this about Johnny in 5 years time though. He's hard to move. He must be the goodest of good blokes.

I've sat on a table for a club lunch with him and he's quite affable, gave enough inside info to feel part of it, intelligent, an all round nice guy you'd say.

Would he drive standards? Outwardly demanding of others? I don't think so. Bit too busy being liked/likeable is my analysis. Bodes well for managing up and being second fiddle, but not good if you want a bit of ruthlessness.

Damn you Smashbox. Bumping this gave me false hope again.

I'm resigned now to being patient til the end of next year and i should get my holy trinity of wishes...no Murphy, no Casboult and no Johnny bloody Barker lol.

*small part of me believes i might be saying this about Johnny in 5 years time though. He's hard to move. He must be the goodest of good blokes.

Debts have to be repaid TW, all the way down the line ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how Collingwood fans feel the same about Robert Harvey as we do about Barker.

Probably something along the lines of Familiarity Breeds Contempt etc ?
It has to be said also with the AFL Soft Cap and the slow economic recovery from COVID19, it is harder than ever to chop and change assistant coaches.

Yet to read one compelling argument why we should get rid of Barks other than the somewhat simplistic 'He has been there long enough'

I do not think it's neccesarily a black Mark against him to pursue a senior coaching job at all, it's a ruthless, cut throat occupation that is very emotionally and mentally draining (RE Rhyce Shaw)

I've sat on a table for a club lunch with him and he's quite affable, gave enough inside info to feel part of it, intelligent, an all round nice guy you'd say.

Would he drive standards? Outwardly demanding of others? I don't think so. Bit too busy being liked/likeable is my analysis. Bodes well for managing up and being second fiddle, but not good if you want a bit of ruthlessness.
This is my feel, nice guy who wants to be mates with everyone but not ambitious enough to be a successful coach.
The fact that he’s been here 9 years smells of plodder who doesn’t want to succeed.
If he was say our reserves coach I’d be okay with, but 9 years as a line coach with the same club doesn’t strike me as good

That a broken watch is right twice a day?

It's speculation of course, but you have to agree that there isn't a lot of evidence out there that screams elite coaching talent.

There is not any real tangible evidence to suggest otherwise.

What I would say is that he seemed to have done a pretty decent job as caretaker coach after Malthouse got the arse during the 2015 season.

Finally, it's all a speculation at best as to what assitant coaches out there regarded as 'elite coaching talent' these days, North Melbourne are still having trouble finding their own senior coach.

Without trying to sound like a brainless sheep, I am happy to back The Club's board and David Teague if they are still satisfied with what Barker brings to the table in his current role.

Amazing how so many people can judge Barker as a coach, yet none have probably been on the other end

Wondering what people will say about him after making finals

The thing with Barker from a supporters perspective is we haven’t seen a line that he’s managed excel in the way that we’ve seen someone like Amos.

The key for a coach is to not only be easy to understand, but also to educate and up skill players which I think is where he lacks.

Look at Sam Mitchell for example, credited with turning the Eagles midfield around in their grand final win. Not sure Barker has built up the same credits.

Funny how Collingwood fans feel the same about Robert Harvey as we do about Barker.

Probably something along the lines of Familiarity Breeds Contempt etc ?
It has to be said also with the AFL Soft Cap and the slow economic recovery from COVID19, it is harder than ever to chop and change assistant coaches.

Yet to read one compelling argument why we should get rid of Barks other than the somewhat simplistic 'He has been there long enough'

I do not think it's neccesarily a black Mark against him to pursue a senior coaching job at all, it's a ruthless, cut throat occupation that is very emotionally and mentally draining (RE Rhyce Shaw)

To the contrary re: COVID. This was the year to make changes without soft cap implications with immunity on $$’s wasted. See Gold Coast.

Also some movement at senior assistant level between clubs.

The thing with Barker from a supporters perspective is we haven’t seen a line that he’s managed excel in the way that we’ve seen someone like Amos.

The key for a coach is to not only be easy to understand, but also to educate and up skill players which I think is where he lacks.

Look at Sam Mitchell for example, credited with turning the Eagles midfield around in their grand final win. Not sure Barker has built up the same credits.

I guess the comparisons are difficult. WC were a much better unit before and after Mitchell

During the last 5 years, many have also questioned Amos

As I said, looking forward to the assessment of Barker when we make finals, or when we win a flag

Reasonable post and intangibles aside . Maybe Barker has been that positive binding glue . Through dark times. That’s my take .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back