News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

It's sad to knock it down to only add 3000 capacity. Even if the ground is bigger.

Especially the bar

The should put punt road underground and out a grandstand the other side making it afl game viable
this is one of the biggest issues with demolishing the JDS, we will just be back in the same situation we are now in 10 years time as the club grows and adds more programs. Full up again.

Build the new stand on the other side of PRO, retain the JDS, and we will have the space to grow into the 21st C.

this is one of the biggest issues with demolishing the JDS, we will just be back in the same situation we are now in 10 years time as the club grows and adds more programs. Full up again.

Build the new stand on the other side of PRO, retain the JDS, and we will have the space to grow into the 21st C.
The other side?

What are we moving to make room
Punt road or the train tracks 742CEECC-48A0-476A-BCDA-D104C69C1CCC.jpeg

Its not just the Jack Dyer name, that doesn't stress me one bit, it will reappear somewhere, I couldn't give a toss about this Cooper bloke no ones ever heard of, it's the architecture and history of that grand old Tiger stand that should be preserved at all costs.

Built 6 years before our very first premiership.

Every Tiger champion down to U17's boundary umpire not good enough to get a game, to bootstudders, property stewards etc have been part of that stand

Once the dozer enters the oval that history is gone "forever" only to be remembered via fond memories on some twitter feed.
The entire ground as a complex holds that very same history, not to mention the turf that they played on
If the buildings can’t serve the purpose they were built for in the first place there is no point keeping it as it’s just a relic that holds no real purpose

We also have the best aussie rules historian personally invested in our club since his father is one of our immortals ensuring every bit of our history is archived

The entire ground as a complex holds that very same history, not to mention the turf that they played on
If the buildings can’t serve the purpose they were built for in the first place there is no point keeping it as it’s just a relic that holds no real purpose

We also have the best aussie rules historian personally invested in our club since his father is one of our immortals ensuring every bit of our history is archived
"If the buildings can’t serve the purpose they were built for in the first place there is no point keeping it as it’s just a relic that holds no real purpose"

Imagine through the times of architectural history this was the case.

Anyone can archive history, but you cannot replace an actual historical structure.

It's absolutely beautiful architecture, why many want it burnt to the ground is beyond me.

We live in a disposable throw away world, and that attitude is well and truly alive here in this thread.

"If the buildings can’t serve the purpose they were built for in the first place there is no point keeping it as it’s just a relic that holds no real purpose"

Anyone can archive history, but you cannot replace an actual historical structure.

It's absolutely beautiful architecture, why many want it burnt to the ground is beyond me.

We live in a disposable throw away world, and that attitude is well and truly alive here in this thread.

The building dubbed the most beautiful library in America

Was knocked down for a middling car park

( old Public library of Cincinnati )

The building dubbed the most beautiful library in America

Was knocked down for a middling car park
I would bet anything they regret that decision now.

"They paved paradise
Put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone?
They paved paradise
Put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
Put 'em in a tree museum
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em

-JM

lol im not sure the development is all about seats brother , there's some amenities inside that go beyond the locker room in the jack dyer stand

I understand that. Still feels a bit of. Shame to spend 6omillion to make the ground a bit bigger, 3000 more seats and a couple rooms.

Would be better to do it properly if they are going knock down the GDS

that said Benny was pretty convincing. Could sell Ice to Eskimos

Talk about a straw man argument

In a perfect world it would be amazing to keep the stand but the reasons for keeping it are vastly outweighed the reasons for unfortunately removing it but space isn’t a luxury the club has and in order to continue growing removing the stand is the only feasible option

Talk about a straw man argument

In a perfect world it would be amazing to keep the stand but the reasons for keeping it are vastly outweighed the reasons for unfortunately removing it but space isn’t a luxury the club has and in order to continue growing removing the stand is the only feasible option
I've never said keep the stand at punt road, I've said it needs to be relocated to a suitable comunity oval.

I've never said keep the stand at punt road, I've said it needs to be relocated to a suitable comunity oval.
Sadly that just comes down to cost
Can’t see any local clubs be in any position or even local councils willing to fit the bill for the relocation plus whatever repairs it needs on top

Might of been an easier sell if the stand wasn’t dilapidated as it is
It would probably cost more to relocate the stand than what it would be for a new one built

Sadly that just comes down to cost
Can’t see any local clubs be in any position or even local councils willing to fit the bill for the relocation plus whatever repairs it needs on top

Might of been an easier sell if the stand wasn’t dilapidated as it is
It would probably cost more to relocate the stand than what it would be for a new one built
Cost wouldn't be an issue. Money means nothing these days the way it's thrown around and wasted, and if we are the biggest club like we like to think, then the extra effort would be well and truly worth it.

They should put it to the members.

And being internaly semi dilapidated with the externals intact would lend to a clean removal and internal rebuild-refit. Costly yes, but what price do yo put on such an important part of our history/culture.

"The Hill" stand at the SCG was similar brick/timber construction but much larger, and it was relocated in the mid 80s

I would guarantee in hindsight that decision would be roundly applauded now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't forget the Adelaide Oval is an historic icon too.
A perfect blend of history and state-of-the-art facilities.
Our planned project is a coathanger abortion of a thing.
Comparing Adelaide oval to Punt road road is an apples with oranges comparison

You misunderstood my point.
I meant the preservation of the Adelaide Oval scoreboard.
It is a sports, and tourist, icon.
They have retained the heritage scoreboard, combined with state-of-the-art facilities.
Like the superb Junction Oval redevelopment.

Last edited:
The only way we could feasibly expand and keep the JDS would probably be part of a Richmond station overhaul, given it would be largely government funded (unless we have hundreds of millions/billions sitting around).
Government surely wouldn’t put Punt Road underground, would cause stupid congestion elsewhere for years while it gets done, and I can’t see any benefits for anyone besides the JDS staying. Also that’s before considering that Punt Rd is not a freeway and has many roads coming off it that would need to be reconnected somehow.
Richmond station being overhauled would provide some other benefits. It’s a major transport hub for our sporting precinct which is surely otherwise one of the best in the world and certainly the best in the country, yet the station is a shithole. Poor image for the city when countless tourists would go through there every (normal) year to sports events. An overhaul properly integrating it with surrounding stadiums would take the area to a new level.

But that is still a stupidly expense be endeavour for something that the state would like to have but is more icing than cake. Probably a decade or more away from something like that happening (if it were to happen), and we need space now. You can’t afford to wait 10 years, because it will take another 20 to catch up again.

Each to their own but these are radical, major, changes.
O'Neal said in the interview that she was merely a "caretaker" of the club and would pass the baton.
The mooted plan goes way beyond "caretaking".
The timing of the project is very bad too.
The Andrews government has announced a massive new range of public works projects, tens of billions of dollars, transport, tunnels, public housing and so on.
There would be a shortage of labour leading to cost blow-outs.
This is a disaster.

Last edited:
Cost wouldn't be an issue. Money means nothing these days the way it's thrown around and wasted, and if we are the biggest club like we like to think, then the extra effort would be well and truly worth it.

They should put it to the members.

And being internaly semi dilapidated with the externals intact would lend to a clean removal and internal rebuild-refit. Costly yes, but what price do yo put on such an important part of our history/culture.

"The Hill" stand at the SCG was similar brick/timber construction but much larger, and it was relocated in the mid 80s

I would guarantee in hindsight that decision would be roundly applauded now.
Cost isn’t an issue? Money means nothing these days? The club has had to make a number of employees redundant to save money. How cheap do you reckon moving that entire stand to another location would be?

Cost isn’t an issue? Money means nothing these days? The club has had to make a number of employees redundant to save money. How cheap do you reckon moving that entire stand to another location would be?
Redundancy is covid related,

Nothing comes easy in life, you have to work hard for it, and like the current state government budget, its an "assumption" budget based on everything going to plan.

If Benny can publicly go with 3-0-75 and not only pull it off, but exceed its wildest expectations, then he could certainly come up with a suitable relocation plan.

To many negative naysayers just happy to abandon history and tradition at the moment

Each to their own but these are radical, major, changes.
O'Neal said in the interview that she was merely a "caretaker" of the club and would pass the baton.
The mooted plan goes way beyond "caretaking".
The timing of the project is very bad too.
The Andrews government has announced a massive new range of public works projects, tens of billions of dollars, transport, tunnels, public housing and so on.
There would be a shortage of labour leading to cost blow-outs.
This is a disaster.
I'm more than happy for "caretakers" to move forward, build new facilities, make policy decisions and changes, but "caretakers" should NOT meddle in historical decision making especially demolition.

yes, yes, your beliefs are so self evidently right, true and godly, that anyone who disagrees, or how they disagree by any degree they will have people like you assert that they are against the club, and shouldn't be part of the club. Its an appalling attitude.

This is exactly why the club needs to be very careful with indulging in social activism beyond merely being a good corporate citizen. Most people are involved with football teams to escape politics, ideology and activism and find value, solace and comfort in being unified by the common objective on the field no matter what walk of life you come from. The club is not entitled to appropriate supporter's dedication, money and commitment for other off-field objectives that members may or may not support, in part or in whole.

What is not part of my decision (as to whether I support it or not) is facilities for other non-football/non-football department projects. Its good the club does some of these things, but they are peripheral to my interest in the club and not something I would want club decisions to be made on the basis of.

So, according to you dutsy1234 - for daring to have a different opinion to you- do I not now deserve to belong to the club?
Sorry I've come to the thread a bit late. But great debate that has it has raised. What is footy? Weekend relax, vege out time or something different. When I started watching in the late 60s, there was no on jumper advertising but that crept in. Now you buy a RFC jumper you don't know if its Jeep/NIB advertisement. I don't like it but AFL is a media product and us viewers are being sold to advertisers. I put up with it because its still a football team under it all. When I started going to the footy there was no national anthem at finals. Which I hate, Howard era patriotism/nationalism. Yuk. I hate standing for it. Compensation is that club songs get played before games. I like that. The dreamtime game was a good idea that developed into indigenous round, indigenous jumpers with great art on them. Some even have the '67'. So they are using the media saturation to make political statements. I think RFC players were pregame warm ups in BLM t shirts. In all my days I've never seen a Richmond club with so many kiwis, Lebs, Italians, Somalis, Croats, indig players, (& a Russian until Oleg left) Indig coaches. Plus great sand gropers. We had George Pell as a patron (vice) for a long time. I hate the man but I didn't cancel my membership. Womens footy tick. RFC's a huge organisation which is on the right track in my book. AFL clubs are big, wealthy organisations. aren't really there to make profit. So I'm all for spending it on whatever Peggy & Brendan think appropriate.
Demetriou era AFL was good for stadium development. Kudos to him for that he raised $millions. But The league had to sign up to WADA though and stand up with the Minister for Sport on the Darkest Day in sport. Any govt funding, like for the JD Stand requires heaps of boxes to be ticked. RFC are doing that.
A little upside for me personally is learning what Alannah & Madeline foundation is.

I would bet anything they regret that decision now.

"They paved paradise
Put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone?
They paved paradise
Put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
Put 'em in a tree museum
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em

-JM
Nice song but in RFCs case we are modifying/improving facilities and losing/moving (would cost a fortune) an iconic grandstand. I don't go to PRO often anyhow & I don't think I've ever sat in it in the JD Stand. So there's not much sentiment. Richmond was playing at the G when I started following. But I was sad when they knocked down the basketball courts at Albert Park to build the gran prix circuit. Fond memories of playing there, watching the Melbourne Tigers training there. Gaze, Simmonds. Playing school basketball there too.
Jack Mundy was one of my idols you need to study his playbook if you wanna save the stand.

Last edited:
Nice song but in RFCs case we are modifying/improving facilities and losing/moving (would cost a fortune) an iconic grandstand. I don't go to PRO often anyhow & I don't think I've ever sat in it in the JD Stand. So there's not much sentiment. Richmond was playing at the G when I started following. But I was sad when they knocked down the basketball courts at Albert Park to build the gran prix circuit. Fond memories of playing there, watching the Melbourne Tigers training there. Gaze, Simmonds. Playing school basketball there too.
Jack Mundy was one of my idols you need to study his playbook if you wanna save the stand.
Why am I not surprised Mundey was your idol growing up ;)

Also, do you think it's just a coincidence that since the KGI started our clubs retention and development of indigenous players has done a 180o? Remember it wasn't too long ago people on this board said we should not recruit indigenous players because Richmond doesn't know how to develop them.

The KGI has made us a better club, and it's a big reason imo as to why we are where we are today.
Complete opposite at the Pies and the Dogs.
The Dogs inparticular.
Who was their last indigenous star? Micheal McClean?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back