Society/Culture Morrison Makes It Official, Whatever The Cost, We Will Not Surrender To China's Threats

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 1021567

Screw it - let's just wipe them

What do you mean just wipe? How do propose to achieve that?

I assume you're implying that we just stop trade with China, which would be very difficult for either govt. to achieve.
  • For starters goods providers in this country that trade with Chinese customers are not directed by our govt. Even if that was proposed that Aus vendors just 'stop trading with China coz they're a bully' isn't reflective of Australian free enterprise market structure
  • The CCP and the AUS govts. are bound by the rules of the WTO, they can't just stop trading because they're having a tiff.
Overall, it's not like we f*d either way. It's nuanced and China doesn't have the final say, they're bound by trading rules. We are not the only nation subject to their less than amicable behaviour.

They can't keep stepping on toes around the world and expect no consequence, the world is watching and from where I sit - and it seems my view is the majority. China is behaving in a childish, defensive and deflective manner and on face value are hypocritical at best.

Well,
we should have diversified years ago, and we had to chose our sovereignty and we chose our sovereignty, you and others on here hate that, it tares you apart you hate, hate our sovereignty. You hate what Scomo did. It irks people like you.

Anyways, we aren't doing nearly as bad as predicted and in the long run will better off.

We also have the moral high ground which you also hate.

You'd love us to bend over. You're a fraud.

You didn't answer the posters questions or rebuttal either - standard practice.

Ok, I'm going to say it, you don't have any convictions in your beliefs just a woke ******! It has to be said - NTTIAWWT!

It has been reported on ABC that the fed govt. last year invested 1.5 billion in investigating alternative trading partners. I view that as the govt. has the thought they rely too much on trading with China.

Likely we'll trade less with them over time. Wouldn't be surprised if many goods providers in this country are already looking at alternatives.

It has been reported on ABC that the fed govt. last year invested 1.5 billion in investigating alternative trading partners. I view that as the govt. has the thought they rely too much on trading with China.

Likely we'll trade less with them over time. Wouldn't be surprised if many goods providers in this country are already looking at alternatives.
I still think turning australia industry into a food and green energy hub for the world would boost our economy and result in a stronger position to move away from China.

but the current government doesn’t have the foresight to move us away from the mining industry.

Clearly need to be selective on what to push back on and what to ignore.

Getting involved in Hong Kong was stupendously stupid. Most internal matters should be overlooked (of which HK is an internal issue).

Getting involved in a military pact with India (deadly border skirmish this year; historic conflicts), Japan (historic enemy and hated) and the USA (competing world power) is a highly questionable decision. India is a nuclear power so can defend its interests, and the USA (nuclear power) has Japan's back.

Calling for an independent investigation into the origins of COVID-1984 is/was fair game but handled clumsily. Internal issues on foreign investment and foreign interference are none of the CCP's business so they can GAGF. I have no issues banning Huawai as it is a national security issue (disclaimer: I have worked in telco companies for over a decade).

This is a wake up call. China cannot be relied upon as our largest export destination.

We've had military ties with all those nations for some time, certainly the US - I don't see this as an issue.

Not sure what you mean by the investigation request was handled 'clumsily'. IIRC Scomo requested the investigation in good faith, at least how it was projected. It was requested for the intent and purpose of avoiding future viral outbreaks.

China reacted as if the request was a witch hunt, certainly the world viewed their reaction as if they had / have something to hide. Seems they did, it has been reported that it has been found that China 'mislead' the world in regard to the virus.

It has also been reported that our fed govt. have invested in looking at alternative trading partners.

The HK 'offering' of refuge again was projected to be in good faith as a help to HK citizens. Again the reaction that 'we should be quiet' isn't correct, it's not the right way to go about it. China's reaction on face value is looking like they've got something to hide in all.

that article is mostly about the USA and Pence?

I'm still confused what grand standing you are accusing scomo of?
Publicly (on the international stage) calling for an investigation on Covid which immediately was taken as pointing at China. I think I know what you would most likely say to that. But spend some time thinking about it, and maybe your second and third thoughts might be different.

I still think turning australia industry into a food and green energy hub for the world would boost our economy and result in a stronger position to move away from China.

but the current government doesn’t have the foresight to move us away from the mining industry.

I agree the last sentence that the Aus govt. on face value, looks slow moving away from the 'iron ore' industry. However it needs to be transitioned, slowly but surely the market is going to embrace the green energy movement. It can't just dump iron ore as it would decimate our GDP substantially in an instant, it's not viable.

The world is moving toward green, we will too.

It is insanely ridiculous that they are building a $20b solar hub in outback Australia - to power Singapore :eek:

meanwhile Australia is still investing in Carbon Capture :sick:

Publicly (on the international stage) calling for an investigation on Covid which immediately was taken as pointing at China. I think I know what you would most likely say to that. But spend some time thinking about it, and maybe your second and third thoughts might be different.

How is that grandstanding LOL

A strain of virus was released on the world which originated in China, the virus has caused Trillions of dollars worth of damage to the global economy and has killed over a million people and counting....you think asking for an investigation into it, in hope of founding out how it happened, so it can be prevented in the future is grandstanding?

Scomo also is NOT the only world leader to ask for this.

Seriously man? hahah

Last edited:
Keep your head down and balance the relationships.

Australia is doing more than enough to piss China off simply with our foreign investment laws, refusal to use Huawei, various defence investments and treaties, etc.

We do not need Morrison asking for "weapons style inspectors" (without any foreign consensus except Trump - who is now gone) and we do not need Abetz demanding Chinese Australians denounce the CCP in Australian parliament.

The CCP are going nowhere. And Australia is one of the biggest economic beneficiaries of China's rise.

We need to find a way to live with them. We do not have to agree with everything they do and they are certainly not going to agree with everything we do.

But we do not need to engage in the bullshit populist dog whistling and megaphone diplomacy that Trump has made popular.
I think we need to find a way to live without them.
Its not healthy for Aust to rely so heavily on any one country.

Not sure what you mean by the investigation request was handled 'clumsily'. IIRC Scomo requested the investigation in good faith, at least how it was projected. It was requested for the intent and purpose of avoiding future viral outbreaks.

Projected by whom?

This seems like a question of perception more than anything else.

IMO the issue with what ScoMo did was less about calling for an independent inquiry into the nature and origins of COVID (reasonable at face value) and more that he 1) did so with little to no diplomatic support, thus creating a China vs Australia situation wherein China could just pick us off economically because they're a great power and we're not, plus we rely so much on them for trade, and 2) fingered China specifically as the issue, which then triggered their insecurities about face and global reputation.

China reacted as if the request was a witch hunt, certainly the world viewed their reaction as if they had / have something to hide. Seems they did, it has been reported that it has been found that China 'mislead' the world in regard to the virus.

I have no doubt that China covered a whole lot of stuff up and misled a whole lot of countries. It is contemptible, but when you consider how obsessed they are with face and reputation, it's almost understandable. Almost.

It has also been reported that our fed govt. have invested in looking at alternative trading partners.

Excellent news. Better late than never. We've relied too heavily on them for too long.

The HK 'offering' of refuge again was projected to be in good faith as a help to HK citizens. Again the reaction that 'we should be quiet' isn't correct, it's not the right way to go about it. China's reaction on face value is looking like they've got something to hide in all.

Again, the use of that word 'projected'.

It might well have been intended that way, but that's a question of perception.

Pragmatically, we had little to gain from even raising the issue of HK. If it had to be done, do it in concert with the entire West.

It's for that same reason why I thought that moving the Australian embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem was a dumb idea. We had little to gain and quite a bit to lose in terms of trade.

Regrettably, there's not much room for idealism in international geopolitics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree the last sentence that the Aus govt. on face value, looks slow moving away from the 'iron ore' industry. However it needs to be transitioned, slowly but surely the market is going to embrace the green energy movement. It can't just dump iron ore as it would decimate our GDP substantially in an instant, it's not viable.

The world is moving toward green, we will too.
I hope so otherwise we will be left in the dust no pun intended

with the Libs current stance on climate change I’m not holding my breath anytime soon

How is that grandstanding LOL

A strain of virus was released on the world which originated in China, the virus has caused Trillions of dollars worth of damage to the global economy and has killed over a million people and counting....you think asking for an investigation into it, in hope of founding out how it happened, so it can be prevented in the future is grandstanding?

Scomo also is NOT the only world leader to ask for this.

Seriously man? hahah

Seriously man, do you think real international diplomacy gets done via press statements? You know everything there is to know about Morrison's push for an investigation as he did it all in the media.

Do you think what China is doing is serious international politics, or just public trolling of Australia?

After Trump pushed for it behind the scenes, Euro countries went along with Morrison. It was Trump who got Morrison to mouth off about it in the first place. Our ministers were doing a conga line to Washington at one stage and getting off the plane back home and attacking China straight away. It was obvious where they were getting their orders.

Making China the target was a medium term political solutiion for Trump as he was getting bashed over his pathetic response to the covid pandemic and he was coming ino an election.

Last edited:
drop the official into the special and we have a dry abolical into the piece of fielding that Scomo won't understand...

I like the Scomo who knows something if not everything and he can adapt to the real world..

Better than Turnbull, better than Rudd, better than than that other dude who I can't remember.. probably says everything...

china will push hard and china will rattle cages. and they will hand no one any cover note...

Seriously man, do you think real international diplomacy gets done via press statements? You know everything there is to know about Morrison's push for an investigation as he did it all in the media.

Do you think what China is doing is serious international politics, or just public trolling of Australia?

After Trump pushed for it behind the scenes, Euro countries went along with Morrison. It was Trump who got Morrison to mouth off about it in the first place. Our ministers were doing a conga line to Washington at one stage and getting off the plane back home and attacking China straight away. It was obvious where they were getting their orders.

Making China the target was a medium term political solutiion for Trump as he was getting bashed over his pathetic response to the covid pandemic and he was coming ino an election.

What are you talking about, this is just pure speculation and you're running with fact.
The inquiry had 30 odd countries on board straight away - and - it was the right thing to do.

Scott Morrison officially launched his crusade for an international investigation on April 23 – the day after rushing to tweet he had “just got off the phone with US President @realDonaldTrump”.

Given Mr Trump’s constant baiting of “Chinah” and efforts to deflect blame for his administration’s ongoing monumental failures in dealing with the crisis, it was not a good look.

Those searching for a Trump-Morrison conspiracy have material to work with.

From an American perspective, what other loyal ally could Mr Trump call on to poke the mighty dragon? The sane Europeans are collectively over the toddler president.

And Scott Morrison has form when it comes to jumping on Mr Trump’s China-bashing bandwagon.

During his October “best maaaates” US tour, Mr Morrison needlessly parroted Mr Trump’s ignorant attack on China’s “developing nation” status.

There was no upside in that for Australia, only downside in adding to our deteriorating relationship with our most important economic partner.

Well,
we should have diversified years ago, and we had to chose our sovereignty and we chose our sovereignty, you and others on here hate that, it tares you apart you hate, hate our sovereignty. You hate what Scomo did. It irks people like you.
Chest thumping nationalists do not irk anyone, it is just amusing how easily manipulated people like you get at the sight of a flag or some geopolitical drama.

Yeah, big bad Scomo certainly showed them all. Showed them all how pathetically weak he is.

no one made china the target.

they are the target of their own doing.

they caused COVID because they have festering conditions where animals that do not mingle in nature are housed together in unhygienic cages spreading diseases to each other in unhygienic meat markets.

the world and scomo has the right to call them out on it, so it never happens again.

This is a good listen regarding Trump and China.

no one made china the target.

they are the target of their own doing.

they caused COVID because they have festering conditions where animals that do not mingle in nature are housed together in unhygienic cages spreading diseases to each other in unhygienic meat markets.

the world and scomo has the right to call them out on it, so it never happens again.

You have to stop reading the Murdoch media messages.

Projected by whom?

This seems like a question of perception more than anything else.

IMO the issue with what ScoMo did was less about calling for an independent inquiry into the nature and origins of COVID (reasonable at face value) and more that he 1) did so with little to no diplomatic support, thus creating a China vs Australia situation wherein China could just pick us off economically because they're a great power and we're not, plus we rely so much on them for trade, and 2) fingered China specifically as the issue, which then triggered their insecurities about face and global reputation.

I have no doubt that China covered a whole lot of stuff up and misled a whole lot of countries. It is contemptible, but when you consider how obsessed they are with face and reputation, it's almost understandable. Almost.

Excellent news. Better late than never. We've relied too heavily on them for too long.

Again, the use of that word 'projected'.

It might well have been intended that way, but that's a question of perception.

Pragmatically, we had little to gain from even raising the issue of HK. If it had to be done, do it in concert with the entire West.

It's for that same reason why I thought that moving the Australian embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem was a dumb idea. We had little to gain and quite a bit to lose in terms of trade.

Regrettably, there's not much room for idealism in international geopolitics.

Projected by Scomo himself, whichever you boil it down and dissect it the intentions of his requests or lend a helping to HK citizens was to come across as diplomatic. How China has reacted is on them, you or I anyone else cannot argue his 'wording' was reasonable and does not warrant that sort of criticism.

Or worse still give us a 'warning' not to patrol the South China seas. Surely that is all bluster, not even China is that naive to raise a military attack on the US's closest military ally.

'Yeah don't p155 off China coz they'll screw us down in a trade war', well it's not like they've got free reign in how they do that. There are rules they're bound to with the WTO

Fair enough to run with our tail between our legs if we were the only sovereignty being bullied and there wasn't a trading arbiter in the WTO. But how would it look if we just bent over and copped the criticism?, you can bet your house there'd outrage at that moreso than what there is standing up to the bully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back