Review 2020 AFL Draft Live Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

So this might look familiar but it's actually a new spreadsheet, built to hopefully make it easier to update during the draft.

Going to do the best I can, hopefully it doesn't break. 🤞🤞🤞

To embed the spreadsheet elsewhere on the forum use the following:
Code:
[MEDIA="googlespreadsheetnew"]1uekV33YWh329IBqWvR0BXVfUgS8T-OK7fkecE7xQslM[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
So in the end Pies turned a future 1st, a future 2nd & a future 4th, into 2 2nds, a 3rd, and 2 future 3rd round picks. Netting them essentially 3 players for 1 pick. It's ok but the fact the 2 are pretty much an unknown in what they get. I don't count reef in it because they would always get him. The choice of macrae & henry are safe options and poulter could be a good pick up. Would need poulter & another of their late pick ups to be regulars to consider a trade a win really.

The Geelong trade is is interesting but probably not as good as we all think since Geelong is almost certainly going to be finishing top 2 next year, so at best Richmond are getting a pick in the mid teens.

I was judging it based on that assumption. And also that next year is (apparently) a much better draft.

The Geelong trade is is interesting but probably not as good as we all think since Geelong is almost certainly going to be finishing top 2 next year, so at best Richmond are getting a pick in the mid teens.

Everyone said the same about the then Grand Finalist and Adelaide's trade with GWS.

They ended up with a top 10 pick.

Most of the risk is with the team trading future picks as most of the value is based on their current finish position. Given Geelong finished 2nd, and Geelong only received pick 20, all the risk is with the Cats.

SO colllingwood basically exchanged Treloar, Stevo, Phillips, Atu for Macrae, Henry, McInnes, Poulter + A 197cm key forward, A pressure forward.
That's christmas.

+ your 2021 picks.

SO colllingwood basically exchanged Treloar, Stevo, Phillips, Atu for Macrae, Henry, McInnes, Poulter + A 197cm key forward, A pressure forward.
That's christmas.

Except Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips were all proven commodities whereas there is a good chance only 2 of the players you listed will actually make it at an AFL level.

He averages around 17 disposals, has played a lot of wing/midfield and tackles like a maniac, so I can see him in the half-forward role for a long while to come. Going to be tricky finding the right balance with the amount of small/medium forwards next year with Stephenson, Ford, Garner, Ziebell, Zurhaar, Atu, Mahoney and Taylor. Even Thomas will be forward for long stints.
Hasn't your list manager all but said Stephenson will take some midfield rotations?
Zurhaar is a beast, absolute lock.

I liked Curtis Taylor in his draft year, I didn't think he was that far behind Rozee in performance. He'll play alot.

And we can add a another gun Daicos.

*Rumoured gun from underage school football 2 years ago.

Absolute no guarantee Collingwood don't finish below a Daicos bid next year.

Amazing job by Ned Guy, 5 players brought in with potential and most importantly on rookie contracts.

No one, and I mean no one, has any clue if any of these kids (and this talent pool in general) can actually play this game. COVID wrecked this season, and in my opinion this league already drafts kids way too young (I favour lifting the draft eligibility age by 1 year).

Amazing job by Ned Guy, really?
Maybe, but then again I could have spun some dice and potentially had just as good a draft haul.

Collingwood is undoubtedly weaker going into 2021 than they were in 2020. Their internal culture may be wrecked by happened with their cap and the events that followed.

I suspect the club that did best out of this trade/draft period is Geelong. They made a Grand Final and brought in the best available talent in Jeremy Cameron. Similar to Richmond bringing in Tom Lynch.

P.S. Sydney getting Logan McDonald is a very nice get by them.

Hasn't your list manager all but said Stephenson will take some midfield rotations?
Zurhaar is a beast, absolute lock.

I liked Curtis Taylor in his draft year, I didn't think he was that far behind Rozee in performance. He'll play alot.
Already involved in stoppage work, but I imagine he’ll still play a forward a bit.

Taylor just needs to stay on the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood killed it last night. Couldn’t have gone better.

And I rate that trade by Richmond (for geelong’s future first) as top work by the tiges.
That was a big win not a lot of people have spoken about. Very easy little move up the draft, even if just a few spots.

Except Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips were all proven commodities whereas there is a good chance only 2 of the players you listed will actually make it at an AFL level.
It is funny when oppo fans talk about Collingwood.

Apparently Phillips and Stephenson are very good players, but our draftees are just unprovrn

How can we possibly argue with bigfooty posters who know our list better than our club.

Richmond and Geelong played pretty much the whole season out of their home state and beat Brisbane & Port in the prelims (at their homes).

In years past I would have believed the gripes that the Swans and other non-Victorian teams had about Victorian teams with their advantages.

But after this year, I am not buying it anymore.
It is weak sauce.

Good footy teams win home and away.

If only Victorian teams had some advantages that somehow evened it out.

Let’s start with giving them more home/neutral games, the grand final in their city no matter who finishes higher and a large number of talented players asking to be traded back to mummy after a few years in the AFL system.

Yes let’s start there and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s funny how Treloar has now become a bonafide superstar since going on the trade table. You’d think he wasn’t much maligned prior.

No one, and I mean no one, has any clue if any of these kids (and this talent pool in general) can actually play this game. COVID wrecked this season, and in my opinion this league already drafts kids way too young (I favour lifting the draft eligibility age by 1 year).

Amazing job by Ned Guy, really?
Maybe, but then again I could have spun some dice and potentially had just as good a draft haul.

Collingwood is undoubtedly weaker going into 2021 than they were in 2020. Their internal culture may be wrecked by happened with their cap and the events that followed.

I suspect the club that did best out of this trade/draft period is Geelong. They made a Grand Final and brought in the best available talent in Jeremy Cameron. Similar to Richmond bringing in Tom Lynch.

P.S. Sydney getting Logan McDonald is a very nice get by them.
This might be the most contradictory post on big footy.

Rumoured gun from underage school football 2 years ago.

Absolute no guarantee Collingwood don't finish below a Daicos bid next year.

The AFL draft these days is basically the APS.

75 pc. of the top 21 picks were APS boys.

School footy is even more relevant these days and in some instances it is even more important (see Conor Stone).

This might be the most contradictory post on big footy.

Let me explain.

- No one can claim in honesty that Collingwood killed the draft. The draft, especially this one, is a great unknown. Collingwood drafted a bunch of kids. They may be stars, but then again all five may get delisted in within six years

- The AFL draft age is too low in my opinion. We should lift it to 19 years of age to give teams a better chance of drafting actual talent rather than guessing (as happens too frequently now).

- Geelong did very well since they are already a very good team (they made the Grand Final after all) AND they traded in the best available single talent in Jeremy Cameron. Sometimes the simplest trade/draft is the best.

- Of the talents taken last night, I like the pick of Logan McDonald to Sydney. After pick 6 I have next to no clue how any of the others are, and history will prove that more than half will be out of the league within six years. Dogs keeping Dunkley and drafting JUH is great for them, especially since they have been a finals teams a couple years in a row now.

Cheers.

So how are we supposed to find out the results of the rookie draft with no draft tracker?

Also why doesn't the AFL have a draft tracker this year? It was one of the few things they had on the AFL site that worked well.
Not enough time to organise

Remove this Banner Ad

Back