Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yes, saying we need another enquiry to find out what went wrong with Covid control.

We had Susan Davies win as an independent here [normally rusted on Lib electorate] when he got kicked out of office so that was nice :D
That clown has a complete absence of self awarenes. Someone should ask him whatever happened to the Fairfield Infectious Diseases Hospital

That clown has a complete absence of self awarenes. Someone should ask him whatever happened to the Fairfield Infectious Diseases Hospital
Yes, one of Kennett's many 'achievements' :mad:

There was an announcer on AW last night Mike Williams who seemed to be mocking the media coverage of the Capitol siege eg that it has been called a 'deadly encounter' or whatever. Only caught the end of it before they went to the news :(

There was an announcer on AW last night Mike Williams who seemed to be mocking the media coverage of the Capitol siege eg that it has been called a 'deadly encounter' or whatever. Only caught the end of it before they went to the news :(

Erm... who does he barrack for?

Congrats to India on their spirited resistance to save the third test.

Not so thrilled with some of the banter but I know both sides indulge in it and the Indian team usually gives as good as it gets (remember Harbajan Singh?)

I realise it's all from the highly successful Ian Chappell school of Mental Disintegration but I just think a lot of it is unnecessary and reflects badly on the sportsmanship and mentality of the players concerned. I'm looking at you Tim Paine. Maybe I'm just old school.

I'm also very disappointed (but not really surprised) at the alleged racial abuse from a few in the crowd. Totally unacceptable and reflects badly on the whole country when it happens in a high profile international sporting event. Justin Langer spoke pretty well on it after the game, but I think Paine missed an opportunity to be more visibly supportive of the Indians on the field at the time it actually happened. That would have sent a strong message of solidarity. It's a much more important issue than who wins the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Congrats to India on their spirited resistance to save the third test.

Not so thrilled with some of the banter but I know both sides indulge in it and the Indian team usually gives as good as it gets (remember Harbajan Singh?)

I realise it's all from the highly successful Ian Chappell school of Mental Disintegration but I just think a lot of it is unnecessary and reflects badly on the sportsmanship and mentality of the players concerned. I'm looking at you Tim Paine. Maybe I'm just old school.

I'm also very disappointed (but not really surprised) at the alleged racial abuse from a few in the crowd. Totally unacceptable and reflects badly on the whole country when it happens in a high profile international sporting event. Justin Langer spoke pretty well on it after the game, but I think Paine missed an opportunity to be more visibly supportive of the Indians on the field at the time it actually happened. That would have sent a strong message of solidarity. It's a much more important issue than who wins the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.

Apparently the blokes that got kicked out for racial abuse have been cleared by several witnesses including security.

Apparently the blokes that got kicked out for racial abuse have been cleared by several witnesses including security.
Yes I saw there was some dispute about that, which is why I said "alleged".

However it's pretty obvious there's been at least some level of racial banter from the crowd during the test, even if it wasn't those particular blokes. And there is a history of it (not just this tour), even if it's only been a very small number of people.

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I applaud the people for leaving as directed and not making a big scene, even though they were proven innocent. They must have decided that the would be cleared later and that it was best for the players to see people being kicked out.

I applaud the people for leaving as directed and not making a big scene, even though they were proven innocent. They must have decided that the would be cleared later and that it was best for the players to see people being kicked out.

Yeah they just quietly got up and left. Fair play to them, especially if they were innocent. But I've heard plenty of morons asking "Who is minding the Kwik-e-mart' to the Indian fielders. It was probably funny the first time, after the 200th it's lame as.

I've been thinking about this recently, a lot of players are complaining about the abuse they get on social media, but anyone who has gone to to the footy or cricket has heard things just as bad, if not much worse, come from the crowd. Racial abuse isn't on at all, but at what stage do we start self-censoring so much that we end the sledge from the outer? I generally barrack for Bulldogs players and ignore the opposition, but if someone comes out with a witty, if foul mouthed beration I'm all for it. And where would we be without the childish one-eyed umpire abuse? I'm also very partial to games where we are beating a Richmond or Collingwood and their feral fans turn vicious on their own players in the 4th quarter, it's great fun.

I'll never forget the day Matthew Lloyd ripped his hamstring off the bone in front of some of the more feral old school Footscray fans in the early 2000s. The delight at a player's injury would have resulted in mass permabans if they did it online. I can't even remember if we won, I think we did, but the hostility spread over into a few nasty punch ups in the concourse. Memorable day. Lloyd was a very unpopular player.

Last edited:
I'll never forget the day Matthew Lloyd ripped his hamstring off the bone in front of some of the more feral old school Footscray fans in the early 2000s. The delight at a player's injury would have resulted in mass permabans if they did it online. I can't even remember if we won, I think we did, but the hostility spread over into a few nasty punch ups in the concourse. Memorable day. Lloyd was a very unpopular player.
R3 2006. We won 104 to 93. Essendon went on a massive losing streak that included a 23 goal loss vs Adelaide and only won 3 games that season.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

However it's pretty obvious there's been at least some level of racial banter from the crowd during the test, even if it wasn't those particular blokes. And there is a history of it (not just this tour), even if it's only been a very small number of people.

Obvious why?

Because the Indian cricket team are so trustworthy ?

Will the player be punished for false accusation of racism ?

Last edited:

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
Obvious why?

Because the Indian cricket team are so trustworthy ?
...owever it's pretty obvious there's been at least some level of racial banter from the crowd during the test,,,
obvious ? Siraj whinges to the Umpires, cops expel a row of blokes enjoying the cricket, best cricket for the Summer, no charges laid, witnesses don't support allegations of racist comments. You are much better than that, Dogwatch, don't kill your credibility with that sort of nonsense. That sort of stuff is an insult to, arguably, the most tolerant community on the planet.

Last edited:
obvious ? Siraj whinges to the Umpires, cops expel a row of blokes enjoying the cricket, best cricket for the Summer, no charges laid, witnesses don't support allegations of racist comments. You are much better than that, Dogwatch, don't kill your credibility with that sort of nonsense. That sort of stuff is an insult to, arguably, the most tolerant community on the planet.
LOL, the old "you are better than that" line.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I agree there is no doubt racism exists in our country as well as all around the world.

I thought right from the time the spectators were removed and judging by their reaction and others around them that it was highly unlikely they were the perpetrators. For starters it was widely publicised from the previous day so I cant accept that the surrounding security guards and othe spectators could not have heard it or that anyone would be stupid enough to be doing it again. The guards would have been vigilant I would have thought. And are we supposed to believe the player heard all 6 of them?

We need to also be mindful of due process as I would be mighty pissed off if I were publicly removed for alleged racist remarks without some reasonable evidence.

I don’t have a problem with the sledging/banter it was pretty innocuous stuff really. What does piss me off is this tendency of the press and public to pile on with every single minor infraction by the Aussies.

Case in point being Pant whose incessant chatter starts from ball one till the end of the innings and everyone is ok with that. And Ravi “I’m going to appeal every ball” Ashwin has never been short of a few word.

As I say none of it bothers me it’s the selective reporting and outrage that I have an issue with

Even the fact that he miraculously recovered from an injury that prevented him keeping to be replaced by their best keeper and the next day being promoted up the batting order. clear case of bending the rules by India but that’s all ok let’s just focus on a couple of words from Paine.

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Petty gripe of the day (could have been in 'not worth a thread', but linked to conversation here sort of):

Couldn't they have come up with a better change of name for Coon than Cheer? It is cheesy though I guess. Cheer Cheese...um, nup.

Crap cheese anyway

Petty gripe of the day (could have been in 'not worth a thread', but linked to conversation here sort of):

Couldn't they have come up with a better change of name for Coon than Cheer? It is cheesy though I guess. Cheer Cheese...um, nup.

Should have called it non discriminatory dairy product.

How would soccer players** go in a boxing match? One tap and some of them are like they were hit with a sledgehammer

** other than Melb Victory

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
How would soccer players** go in a boxing match? One tap and some of them are like they were hit with a sledgehammer

** other than Melb Victory
Soccer is an non contact sport, as is Gaelic. That doesn't mean that those who play are neither violent nor courageous, think Vinnie Jones. I've been in the rooms at White Hart Lane after a game, the state of the players' legs below the knees after a game. Aus Rules is harder but don't think that football violence ends here.

Soccer is an non contact sport, as is Gaelic. That doesn't mean that those who play are neither violent nor courageous, think Vinnie Jones. I've been in the rooms at White Hart Lane after a game, the state of the players' legs below the knees after a game. Aus Rules is harder but don't think that football violence ends here.
Yeah not saying they're soft, some of the tackles are freakin horrendous, just a bit of play acting goes on.

Back