Certified Legendary Thread Corona, Jamaica ooh I wanna take ya (COVID-19 Information & Discussion Here) Part 2 "The Second Wave"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
90% of Sydney metro area businesses were not impacted by the virus escaping the NSW quarantine.
100% of businesses in Adelaide and Brisbane were impacted by their shutdowns. Some businesses this would be the straw that breaks the camels back. Same in Sydney’s northern beaches but the number of potential dead businesses is greatly reduced.
Before kirky chimes in with the “they are sh*t businesses” garbage.
No they are businesses that have been beat almost to death but are clinging on and will recover, however a few more punches to the head will kill them.
I support only the NSW method, this “circuit breaker” crap is only beneficial to the medicos not the public and not the small businesses that support the largest majority of workers in the country. 98.45% of businesses are considered small businesses. 76.2% employ 1-4 people. They are not designed to operate under these kind of conditions.

A three day shutdown will not close a business. If they are worthy of assistance (the majority of businesses) they will get in. The marginal ones unfortunately wither and due as it has always been. It may be a pandemic, it may be an economic recession, it may be a change in buyer attitudes, it may be a new operator nearby offering a better product - businesses failure occur all the time.

The whole thing makes little sense as the doctors and medical experts on TV interviews have said, these vaccines (not sure if all of them) don’t stop you getting infected, or being contagious and infecting others with sars-cov-2 virus, just you won’t get COVID-19 disease.

If young people 99.999 % of time are completely unaffected and the vaccine doesn’t stop you passing it around I fail to understand the need for this vaccine in that age group.

In the end if it’s in your system but your asymptomatic or it’s like a mild cold is it any worst than catching a mild cold? Especially if you’re not in a high risk group?

Think you may be mixing a few bits of info there?

You won't get Covid-19 disease?

The vaccinations are only for over 18, with the main push being around you not getting a full blown reaction (like flu vaccines).

See, I don't get the flu jabs because I don't have bad reaction with getting the flu AND I stay home if I'm sick so I don't pass it on.

Covid I will be front of the queue. Covid has a good chance of really stuffing with my health AND I could have it, not know and pass it onto someone more vulnerable that it could easily kill.

Easy choice.

Last edited:

And just like clockwork in comes the most negative poster on the entire board...

See I'd rather live in reality and be correct, you'd rather be a blind supporter living in happy ignorance.

In politics and football, it seems the difference between us remains.

I think it's about time to close this thread down: it's not very edifying. Most of it is simply ugly politics and now the usual angry suspects are making it personal. I think the mods should do something. There is very little contributing to the COVID discussion dispassionately.

This is getting very sad -

CE6A6D26-5FFA-4AA3-A923-3AE4079EAC35.png

90% of Sydney metro area businesses were not impacted by the virus escaping the NSW quarantine.
100% of businesses in Adelaide and Brisbane were impacted by their shutdowns. Some businesses this would be the straw that breaks the camels back. Same in Sydney’s northern beaches but the number of potential dead businesses is greatly reduced.
Before kirky chimes in with the “they are sh*t businesses” garbage.
No they are businesses that have been beat almost to death but are clinging on and will recover, however a few more punches to the head will kill them.
I support only the NSW method, this “circuit breaker” crap is only beneficial to the medicos not the public and not the small businesses that support the largest majority of workers in the country. 98.45% of businesses are considered small businesses. 76.2% employ 1-4 people. They are not designed to operate under these kind of conditions.
I completely disagree with you.

I watched “The Dallas Buyers Club” Monday night. (True Story) I know it was set in the 80’s but are we convinced Doctors, scientists, governments and Big Pharma are any better or more ethical now than then. I don’t believe so.
If you look up fines incurred by pharmaceutical companies, and for what the breaches were for, i don't think it's quite as bad in the last few years imo.
But yeah they are a $#it show when they rebadge a banned drug that has caused many deaths, and sell it for another disease altogether.
Fines per year ran into the billions but the profits obviously make it worth it.
Its getting harder to find detailed info and specifics last time I looked.

fu** COVID:

Better stock up on that repellent! Or maybe there is no MVE and this is all just a ploy by Big DEET to boost sales...

There's some rippers going around, I had one which attacked the brain. Doctors couldn't do stuff all, I basically starved the parasite out of my brain with a no protein diet, it took ages.
They will make you go crazy, walk out of the house and leave your family, just do dumb $hit.
Met a phychiatric nurse who went walkabout for a few weeks, she couldn't believe what she had done looking back once she had rid it out of the system.
I sleep with a mosquito net over summer, most nights now.

This is getting very sad -

View attachment 1039917
When hospitals are overflowing it's really scary as clinical staff have to make choices about who they save.

Was looking at the UK daily graph last night, it only Boris took covid seriously last October/November with tougher measures rather than letting it get out of control.

Poor leadership not taking covid seriously is going to cost so many lives that could have been saved with decent leadership.

Appreciate how lucky we are in Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When hospitals are overflowing it's really scary as clinical staff have to make choices about who they save.

Was looking at the UK daily graph last night, it only Boris took covid seriously last October/November with tougher measures rather than letting it get out of control.

Poor leadership not taking covid seriously is going to cost so many lives that could have been saved with decent leadership.

Appreciate how lucky we are in Australia.
The early lockdown in March is what saved us.

I am not praising Scomo for that decision as an ALP Federal Government would have made the same call.

UK, USA, and most of Europe missed that boat. Once it got a foothold it was too hard to stop.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The early lockdown in March is what saved us.

I am not praising Scomo for that decision as an ALP Federal Government would have made the same call.

UK, USA, and most of Europe missed that boat. Once it got a foothold it was too hard to stop.

The early block of entry from China was all the Federal Government and they were criticised at the time so I don't think you can say that Labor would have done the same.

Agree the Feds had no say in the broader lockdown in March - the States forced that outcome on the Federal Government

Correct and has been stated all the way thru. It tempers the symptoms but doesn’t stop the spread and is why the health care, hotel quarantine, elderly over 80 will get the Pfzier vaccine.
And here I am listening to the Bonehead’s on tv right now. They have a fancy title below their name like epidemiologist and they are making statements about herd immunity. You can’t get herd immunity if your still able to pass the virus on. Please someone explain what the * these experts are talking about.

And here I am listening to the Bonehead’s on tv right now. They have a fancy title below their name like epidemiologist and they are making statements about herd immunity. You can’t get herd immunity if your still able to pass the virus on. Please someone explain what the fu** these experts are talking about.

There is still too much to learn about COVID-19 and the effectiveness of transmission is currently not known and inconclusive. It isn’t surprising as it has only been around for just over 12 months.

The early block of entry from China was all the Federal Government and they were criticised at the time so I don't think you can say that Labor would have done the same.

Agree the Feds had no say in the broader lockdown in March - the States forced that outcome on the Federal Government
The job of the Opposition is to criticise the Government. Even if they would have done the same. Until the actions of Government is universally accepted.

Trump closed their border to China early and was criticised. Even though they were not the first to do so, and the travel bans not tough enough (the results they are feeling now), he copped flack for it.

Until it become accepted border closures are a good tool against COVID.

In modern politics, ALP and LNP are essentially the same. Just a few minor tweeks in policy. Arguing for either side is ridiculous when you step back and realise how vanilla Australian politics is.

Think you may be mixing a few bits of info there?

You won't get Covid-19 disease?

The vaccinations are only for over 18, with the main push being around you not getting a full blown reaction (like flu vaccines).

See, I don't get the flu jabs because I don't have bad reaction with getting the flu AND I stay home if I'm sick so I don't pass it on.

Covid I will be front of the queue. Covid has a good chance of really stuffing with my health AND I could have it, not know and pass it onto someone more vulnerable that it could easily kill.

Easy choice.

Don't you need to re-think your last sentence? If you don't take the vaccine, you will get sick and stay at home and maybe die, but less chance of passing it on because you've gotten sick. If you get the vaccine you could get it but instead of getting sick, continue on as normal and be much more likely to pass it on to others.

All the talk I’ve heard says the vaccine doesn’t stop you spreading the virus. Not RWNJ articles this is what I’ve heard on ABC and normal news services.
I’m sure with what I’ve heard I’m correct.
OK maybe I'm mis-hearing what you are saying?

Are you suggesting that the experts are saying that the vaccine won't help stop the spread of the COVID virus at all?

It will reduce the severity of the cases.

Vaccinations don't give you immunity - you get an immune response. You still get it, but a lesser version which in-turn helps reduce the spread.

Right?

Are you suggesting that the experts are saying that the vaccine won't help stop the spread of the COVID virus at all?

Vaccinations don't give you immunity - you get an immune response. You still get it, but a lesser version which in-turn helps reduce the spread.

Right?

That's my understanding from Vader's posting. In fact, if that's right, it actually increases the spread as near everyone rolls around infected but asymptomatic.

Don't you need to re-think your last sentence? If you don't take the vaccine, you will get sick and stay at home and maybe die, but less chance of passing it on because you've gotten sick. If you get the vaccine you could get it but instead of getting sick, continue on as normal and be much more likely to pass it on to others.
The only way to stop COVID spreading when asymptomatic is to social distance etc ... and have really good contact tracing to limit the severity of the spread.

The vaccination discussion from earlier I was comparing the flu-vaccine ... and why I don't bother with it :)

Right?
This is what I’m hearing. But maybe it’s too early to know, hopefully it will lessen the contagiousness. Surely not coughing and sneezing would help with that alone.
I’m pretty sure in time we will naturally become immune like we did with the way the more deadly Spanish Flu just petered out after those that got through that pandemic just started living with it.
Our normal flu we get each year is a variant mutation of that virus.

From the AFR today:

"Melbourne risks losing grand slam if the Australian Open doesn’t proceed says Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews. Other major cities would jump at the opportunity to host a grand slam tennis tournament, Victorian premier Dan Andrews has warned, pushing back on local critics who say the event should have been rescheduled to avoid COVID-19 risks."

From the Age today:

"American tennis player Tennys Sandgren has been allowed on to a chartered flight to Melbourne to take part in the Australian Open, despite recently testing positive for coronavirus. Sandgren originally tested positive for COVID-19 in late November and recovered from the virus, but then tested positive again using a PCR test on Monday."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back