Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Did Welsh test? Wasn't he right up there in the 20m sprint at last year's testing?
With Welsh being under our club fitness program, strength and conditioning and medical teams, I almost would not worry about the testing as our guys will work closely with him all year and will set the goals they want him to meet. Its a bit of a unique situation for us.

Sid Draper it appears isn't an athletic beast if he tested in all aspects of the testing day. Wonder if Hugh Payze is former Crows Andrew Payze's son?

20m Sprint​

PLAYERCLUBTIME (SECONDS)
Benny BarrettSouth2.87
Ky BurgoyneWest2.88
Zac SchwarzEagles2.90
Joel ParkerWest2.90
Thomas GriffithsNorth2.90
Angas MoyseSturt2.91
Harley BarkerSturt2.92
Charlie WestEagles2.92
Jack WaltersGlenelg2.92
Tom CorcoranGlenelg2.92

Yo Yo Test​

PLAYERCLUBLEVEL
Beau RyanCentral21.8
Zac SchwarzEagles21.6
Joel ParkerWest21.6
Scott DeleanSouth21.6
Bailey WhiteWest21.5
Oscar FraserNorth21.5
Harry PiggottEagles21.5
Jay ChapmanSouth21.5
Kieran ScannellGlenelg21.4
Hugh PayzeNorth21.4

Standing Vertical Jump​

PLAYERCLUBJUMP (CM)
Zac SchwarzEagles84
Cam KellySturt82
Ben CamporealeGlenelg79
Brody WiltonCentral76
Jack WaltersGlenelg76
Harley BarkerSturt73
Joel ParkerWest73
Jett ReidSouth73
Bailey WhiteWest73
Ezra FosterNorwood73

Running Vertical Jump (Right Foot)​

PLAYERCLUBJUMP (CM)
Noah AlgateNorth92
Jacob NewtonNorwood91
Jonty KoehneWest91
Kodah EdwardsSouth90
Dakota SterzlSouth88
Cain FloranceSouth86
Lucas CamporealeGlenelg86
Hunter PressNorth86
Riley ShepherdsonGlenelg84
Zac SchwarzEagles83
Connor MillsSturt83
Sid DraperSouth83

Running Vertical Jump (Left Foot)​

PLAYERCLUBJUMP (CM)
Ben CamporealeGlenelg95
Zac SchwarzEagles93
Cooper JonesGlenelg90
Harley BarkerSturt89
Sam BurbridgeWest89
Joel ParkerWest89
Jacob NewtonNorwood87
Cain FloranceSouth87
Billy WilsonSouth87
Charlie NichollsCentral87
Hudson AngoveEagles87
The two quickest there tied to Port, correct?

Unless they change the NGA rules small forward Benny Barrett would have to last past pick 40 for Port to draft him unless they draft him before that.

Edit : And they don't have a lot of draft collateral at this point pick 32, 52 and 88
They will rob Peter to pay Paul so to speak, but when it comes to drafting and trading, they tend to hit their mark even if they have overpaid so to speak.

We are the Adelaide Football Club and we are the nice guys of the League

Because we have already promised our 1st for Petty there is no way we ring his manager up and say '' umm you know what - our season has gone bell end so the guarantee of picking him is off the table''

And we are currently in Draper territory - or someone who has passed him and watch us stuff it up by winning games

So Petty and Welsh and umm no mid for you!

In all seriousness, with a certain bottom 5 finish coming, if we trade this fking pick for Harry Petty, a year before we can get Petty as a FA, instead of drafting an elite mid in a STRONG MIDFIELDER DRAFT when we have the single worst midfield in the entire AFL, I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say that there needs to be a coup to overhaul the morons running the club.

Now, if we assume for a moment that we won’t pull the trigger on such a stupid decision (trading the pick for a non-midfielder), let’s analyse the potential players who could be available to us at Pick 1-5 and try rank them 1-5 in terms of the best available. We can continue to adjust these rankings as the year progresses as a fun distraction from how terrible our team is.

If they aren’t playing any midfield minutes, I’m not even going to bother mentioning them. We quite simply aren’t drafting a ruck, key forward, key defender or some sort of flanker with a top 5 pick, and if we do, again, it’s coup time.

Current top 5 preferences for our pick:
1) Finn O’Sullivan (181cm / pure mid / Oakleigh / no weaknesses / booming kick)
2) Josh Smillie (194cm / tall mid who could start career across half back / Eastern Ranges / clean hands, footy IQ, beast in size)
3) Jagga Smith (181cm / mid who can also play up forward / Oakleigh / skill level and x-factor)
4) Sid Draper (180cm / pure mid / South Adelaide / agility and evasiveness a highlight / SA factor)
5) Christian Moraes (183cm / combo mid who can hit scoreboard / Eastern Ranges / “basketball background” / x-factor)

Will be interesting to see who rises and falls in the rankings this season. History tells us there’ll be a midfield bolter not currently ranked in the top 15 who vaults into contention for our pick with a huge season.

So who do we pick with our first round pick ? Who is the best available mid in the top 5 .
How do we get creative to try and get 2 top end picks (exclusively for mids) as well as Welsh for junk picks ?
Doesn’t matter.. we’ll muck it up anyway

We are the Adelaide Football Club and we are the nice guys of the League

Because we have already promised our 1st for Petty there is no way we ring his manager up and say '' umm you know what - our season has gone bell end so the guarantee of picking him is off the table''

And we are currently in Draper territory - or someone who has passed him and watch us stuff it up by winning games

So Petty and Welsh and umm no mid for you!

Fox reporting Petty likely to stay in Melbourne

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all seriousness, with a certain bottom 5 finish coming, if we trade this fking pick for Harry Petty, a year before we can get Petty as a FA, instead of drafting an elite mid in a STRONG MIDFIELDER DRAFT when we have the single worst midfield in the entire AFL, I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say that there needs to be a coup to overhaul the morons running the club.

Now, if we assume for a moment that we won’t pull the trigger on such a stupid decision (trading the pick for a non-midfielder), let’s analyse the potential players who could be available to us at Pick 1-5 and try rank them 1-5 in terms of the best available. We can continue to adjust these rankings as the year progresses as a fun distraction from how terrible our team is.

If they aren’t playing any midfield minutes, I’m not even going to bother mentioning them. We quite simply aren’t drafting a ruck, key forward, key defender or some sort of flanker with a top 5 pick, and if we do, again, it’s coup time.

Current top 5 preferences for our pick:
1) Finn O’Sullivan (181cm / pure mid / Oakleigh / no weaknesses / booming kick)
2) Josh Smillie (194cm / tall mid who could start career across half back / Eastern Ranges / clean hands, footy IQ, beast in size)
3) Jagga Smith (181cm / mid who can also play up forward / Oakleigh / skill level and x-factor)
4) Sid Draper (180cm / pure mid / South Adelaide / agility and evasiveness a highlight / SA factor)
5) Christian Moraes (183cm / combo mid who can hit scoreboard / Eastern Ranges / “basketball background” / x-factor)

Will be interesting to see who rises and falls in the rankings this season. History tells us there’ll be a midfield bolter not currently ranked in the top 15 who vaults into contention for our pick with a huge season.
From that list I’m hoping it’s 1,3 or 5.

Chances are North go a tall, so they leave a midfielder for us, or trade their pick down to where the best defender is rated. So we should be all over their pick .

Nope, I’d like 2 early picks + welsh ! So whichever way that lands (whether it’s ours or theirs first) I’m not bothered .
I'm not sure how we would realistically get two top 5 and Welsh.
Draper might slip to pick 10 or so going by Mutineers comments. Welsh I reckon will be around 5.

If we wanted our top pick, Draper and Welsh we'd probably need points for Welsh and them trade up.

Draper might slip to pick 10 or so going by Mutineers comments. Welsh I reckon will be around 5.

If we wanted our top pick, Draper and Welsh we'd probably need points for Welsh and them trade up.
Sounds like Welsh is sliding a little at the moment now that the U’18’s has begun in Victoria and those players are getting exposure now.

Champs will play a big role in where he ends up in the draft order, but if we could get an extra 1st round on top of our own early pick then match Welsh later on 🤯

Sounds like Welsh is sliding a little at the moment now that the U’18’s has begun in Victoria and those players are getting exposure now.

Champs will play a big role in where he ends up in the draft order, but if we could get an extra 1st round on top of our own early pick then match Welsh later on 🤯
Not sure why Welsh would be slipping, he's played one SANFL game. Just the usual short term memory crap.

Good news for Crows is that I expect us to split our 1R and both North and Hawks to put their 1R on the table for established KP players. For us I think Curtin would have to be on the table and for North/Hawks you’d need to get another team involved. Not sure how palatable those options are for you guys. I agree 2 picks before Welsh at this early stage seems very optimistic. Seems to be a lot of negativity on the board but you’ve lost to some pretty good sides apart from not turning up for the first half against the Suns. Don’t think you’ll be close to bottom 4 and I really hope you guys aren’t planning to trade for Petty again.

Good news for Crows is that I expect us to split our 1R and both North and Hawks to put their 1R on the table for established KP players. For us I think Curtin would have to be on the table and for North/Hawks you’d need to get another team involved. Not sure how palatable those options are for you guys. I agree 2 picks before Welsh at this early stage seems very optimistic. Seems to be a lot of negativity on the board but you’ve lost to some pretty good sides apart from not turning up for the first half against the Suns. Don’t think you’ll be close to bottom 4 and I really hope you guys aren’t planning to trade for Petty again.
Curtin not on the table.

Curtin not on the table.
Exactly, very clear how highly Crows rated him given they knocked back what was (and is) likely to be the #1 pick draft pick. Better off chasing a deal with North and Hawks to get at the pointy end this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back