Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Uh Oh Northern Academies..

2023-AFL-National-Development-Championships-U16-Boys-All-Australian-Team.png
nothing to see here.gif

That’s Jeff White’s son Kalani White - son of who is in GC academy

Supposed to be an absolute jet and prob ends up 205cm

Will have a tough choice ie GC vs Melbourne as father / son

GC are gonna be scary but that’s the whole point , we thought the same re gws and they’ve been very successful but no premierships

GC are gonna be scary but that’s the whole point , we thought the same re gws and they’ve been very successful but no premierships
Where do the Whites live .....timing couldn't be better for MELB, with Gawn about finished in 2-3 years

My personal opinion as they can’t really survive without the academies

And anything that annoys the whinging Vics is good in my book

The GF gets played at their home ground , the umpires are based there , the media which makes things happen like encouraging trades home is based there , the farce of a tribunal etc etc

If you want to talk about inequities I wouldn’t be starting with the northern academies
Still laugh that GWS played games at 16 different venues this season and Collingwood played 17 games on their home ground

I

If we want Lukosius in the coming seasons, its going to be easier to get him if they are chock full of stars and having to pay accordingly

That is scary and only 2 SA boys, I think. Time to put the brakes or restrictions on their picks.
So:

• Academies in every state
  • No F/S or Northern Academy players can be taken in the first 10 picks
  • No club Academy players can be taken in the first 20 picks.
  • No % discount
  • You can only use two picks for points to claim a player
  • You can only match one player per round

That's what I think would work.

So:

• No % discount

Agree on all and it sounds more than fair.

So:

• No % discount

I’m not sure why the suns and GWS shouldnt have access to their academy guys.. they have zero chance of getting a F/S at this point and the best way they can get buy in and players to actually stay at the club is to get local lads..

swans and lions should be subjected to the same rules as all other clubs though..

the gold coast is a national sporting graveyard., the only way the suns will get anywhere near success is if they get buy in and players willing to stay the course.

And speaking of the suns.. I was at the pub a couple of hours ago.. In walks Damien Hardwick with what looked like his missus and a couple of friends.. they all sat at a table in one corner.

10 minutes later in waltz Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson who grab a drink and go and sit at another table about 10m away from Hardwick..

the two party’s pretty much completely ignored each other.. not a word said. Rowell and anderson didnt go over to Hardwick and Hardwick didnt go anywhere near them.. then half an hour later Rowell and Anderson left..

its was really strange..

surely you’d think they’d atleast have a quick chat.. if I saw crew I worked with at the pub I’d walk over and have a quick chat and acknowledge that they were there.. even if I’d just spent most of the day working with them.. wasnt very packed in the bar either so its not like they just didnt see each other..

It was like rowell and anderson didnt know Hardwick from a bar of soap..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sure why the suns and GWS shouldnt have access to their academy guys.. they have zero chance of getting a F/S at this point and the best way they can get buy in and players to actually stay at the club is to get local lads..

swans and lions should be subjected to the same rules as all other clubs though..

the gold coast is a national sporting graveyard., the only way the suns will get anywhere near success is if they get buy in and players willing to stay the course.

And speaking of the suns.. I was at the pub a couple of hours ago.. In walks Damien Hardwick with what looked like his missus and a couple of friends.. they all sat at a table in one corner.

10 minutes later in waltz Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson who grab a drink and go and sit at another table about 10m away from Hardwick..

the two party’s pretty much completely ignored each other.. not a word said. Rowell and anderson didnt go over to Hardwick and Hardwick didnt go anywhere near them.. then half an hour later Rowell and Anderson left..

its was really strange..

surely you’d think they’d atleast have a quick chat.. if I saw crew I worked with at the pub I’d walk over and have a quick chat and acknowledge that they were there.. even if I’d just spent most of the day working with them.. wasnt very packed in the bar either so its not like they just didnt see each other..

It was like rowell and anderson didnt know Hardwick from a bar of soap..

Maybe the club are on an alcohol ban at the moment?

images.jpeg-7.jpg

the gold coast is a national sporting graveyard., the only way the suns will get anywhere near success is if they get buy in and players willing to stay the course...

They do get access - I just think the top ten needs to remain purely available to the bottom sides. That's the main thing they're really given to rebuild with, and the value is getting constantly stripped away.

Draper (and Welsh) training with us from the Academy. No one training with Port lol

Who is training at your club?​

Adelaide: Sid Draper, Tyler Welsh
Brisbane: Levi Ashcroft, Sam Marshall
Carlton: Ben Camporeale, Lucas Camporeale
Essendon: Jobe Shanahan, Archer Day-Wicks
Fremantle: Bo Allan
Gold Coast: Leo Lombard
Geelong: Jonty Faull
Hawthorn: Xavier Lindsay, Josh Smillie
Melbourne: Harvey Langford
North Melbourne: Finn O'Sullivan
Richmond: Tom Gross, Jagga Smith
Sydney: Joel Cochran
West Coast: Malakai Champion
Western Bulldogs: Sam Lalor

Draper (and Welsh) training with us from the Academy. No one training with Port lol

Ohhh - I wonder if they can talk to young Draper to ensure he has a leaner U18 year so he can slide down enough for us to get him AND Welsh

Imagine if that was our draft haul next year - Draper and Welsh....

Lol at them sending a prospective number 1 pick to train at North Melbourne

Just getting in early I guess

2013 Draft .....SAINTS choose Jack Billings at pick #3 .....WB then with the next pick choose at pick #4 Marcus Bontempelli

No excuses from the Saints ....just terrible, choosing an outside player at that Draft position

Saints then go and repeat the poor drafting choices .....2017 Draft, choosing Hunter Clark at #7, and Coffield at #8 ....both who the Saints have looked to trade the last couple of years ....finally getting a trade for Coffield (Paddy Dow & #40)

So for all the discussions about our player what if's .....we get it right, far more often than not

So for all the discussions about our player what if's .....we get it right, far more often than not
We've missed the finals for 6 years running

Clearly we've done plenty wrong

Let's hope the last few more promising looking draft hauls can turn things around

We shouldn't take any solace from pointing out mistakes the most garbage club in the history of the league has made though

Let's hope the last few more promising looking draft hauls can turn things around

We shouldn't take any solace from pointing out mistakes the most garbage club in the history of the league has made though
Interesting take .....so all good clubs have to make Finals every year ...otherwise they're failures

Would you consider HAW (based on recent flags) a good Club
Would you consider GEE a good Club .....given they are nowhere near making Finals for the next few years

If you rebuild your list, your take is the Club has failed ......sorry, I couldn't disagree more with that POV

Now ...if you're a perennial bottom 8-10 Club, like ESS, GCS, SAINT, and NORTH ....they meet the description of continuous poor decision making

Rebuilds done successfully take five years.

Done unsuccessfully, they can be a decade.

We chose to rebuild instead of topping up, and we've been exactly where we should have hoped and expected to be.

Rebuilds done successfully take five years.

Done unsuccessfully, they can be a decade.

We chose to rebuild instead of topping up, and we've been exactly where we should have hoped and expected to be.
You rebuild after you've f***ed up and are left with no choice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back