Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly, very clear how highly Crows rated him given they knocked back what was (and is) likely to be the #1 pick draft pick. Better off chasing a deal with North and Hawks to get at the pointy end this year.
Personally I'm hoping we finish bottom 3 and that's not really a need. Just take the best mid.
Then trade up for Draper after taking Welsh.

Get a free agent or two (Cumming, Hayward)

Then go again in 2025 with a new coach, coaching group and make good moves again at the end of next season - ie either another top talent midfielder or trade for an established one.

Then 2026 onwards starts to get more promising.

Personally I'm hoping we finish bottom 3 and that's not really a need. Just take the best mid.

Then go again in 2025 with a new coach, coaching group and make good moves again at the end of next season - ie either another top talent midfielder or trade for an established one.

Forget Hayward.
I heard he was at a coffee shop in Adelaide over the weekend and was overheard telling some people how he despises Dawson so will never play for the Crows.
No idea why, but interesting.

2024:
FA: one or both of Hayward/Cumming
Draft: Welsh, one of O’Sullivan/Smillie/Jagga/Moraes

2025:
FA: Petty
Trade: NWM, maybe an OOC clearance mid if both Crouch/Laird are definitely past it

That would be the injection of talent our list needs

Controversial take but given the draft system my theory is if you don’t finish top 8 the next best position is last. You guys getting a pick before Welsh is crucial. New coach… Just extended Nicks the board must have seen something in him? Also what’s now keeping Curtin out of the side? 5 changes surely there’s a spot for him on HBF. Saw he took a few grabs in the ressies so presumably not injured.

Not across SA talent as much as I should be but Draper will be a very good AFL player and there’s a few FAs available. I hope we go after Cumming too.

They will rob Peter to pay Paul so to speak, but when it comes to drafting and trading, they tend to hit their mark even if they have overpaid so to speak.
Give me that form of over payment every time! Have been geniuses to put together that list, midfield as good as any in the AFL.

All this talk about having top picks this draft, can posters tell us how we're getting these top picks and from who? We are highly likely to win enough games to finish just outside the finals so in pick 8-10 territory then hope like hell Welsh doesn't end up top 10 or that the AFL doesn't change the rules!

Last edited:
Give me that form of over payment every time! Have been geniuses to put together that list, midfield as good as any in the AFL
I have been consistent about them and how they go about their business - sure they might not get all their targets and they may over pay and might grab some spuds as well, but its their approach to getting their targets in that I like. No 2 better examples than the 2018 draft where they made our team at trade and draft time look like pre schoolers and then getting JHF by involving multiple clubs until they got their guy.

I also mentioned before, when we got Rankine but had no raft capital to get Phillipou, I could have seen port play that hand very differently and likely end up with both - sure it might have cost them future draft capital as well but who cares when you get your targets.

I have been consistent about them and how they go about their business - sure they might not get all their targets and they may over pay and might grab some spuds as well, but its their approach to getting their targets in that I like. No 2 better examples than the 2018 draft where they made our team at trade and draft time look like pre schoolers and then getting JHF by involving multiple clubs until they got their guy.

I also mentioned before, when we got Rankine but had no raft capital to get Phillipou, I could have seen port play that hand very differently and likely end up with both - sure it might have cost them future draft capital as well but who cares when you get your targets.
Port’s recruitment strategy looks good because they identify and choose their targets well.
We get kudos for recruiting our captain and gun midfielder, except we identified and chose him as a HB.
Some would say dumb luck.

Exactly, very clear how highly Crows rated him given they knocked back what was (and is) likely to be the #1 pick draft pick. Better off chasing a deal with North and Hawks to get at the pointy end this year.
If this offer was genuinely made as a straight swap (I have my doubts) then firing whoever rejected isn't enough. There needs to be some kind of ritual sacrifice.

I was deeply sceptical at the time and having sat through 4 games of Laird and Crouch in the midfield it is even more stark. 2x top 6 picks (including the WCE pick which surely cannot be worse than pick 2) could have been generational for our midfield and could make this rebuild.

If it's still on the table at the end of this season then we would have to do it.

If this offer was genuinely made as a straight swap (I have my doubts) then firing whoever rejected isn't enough. There needs to be some kind of ritual sacrifice.

I was deeply sceptical at the time and having sat through 4 games of Laird and Crouch in the midfield it is even more stark. 2x top 6 picks (including the WCE pick which surely cannot be worse than pick 2) could have been generational for our midfield and could make this rebuild.

If it's still on the table at the end of this season then we would have to do it
It was a straight swap yes but there’s no way that would be offered this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if we offered our F1 again (I hope we don’t), but not this year’s 1st. Our board is generally pretty happy you saved us from ourselves and given Welsh projects around pick 7-15 and Draper (and other mids) is up there yes we were surprised it was knocked back. In saying that you clearly needed a KPD.

You can never say never.

If Curtin isn’t happy here and says he wants to go home and pick 1 was on the table, we would have to take it.
Don’t see us putting pick 1 for Curtin on the table. It would be our F1 or a situation like Barnett wanting to go back home so Curtin and your 1R for Barnett and our 1R. Not sure either club would want to do that but a lot of water to go under the bridge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can never say never.

If Curtin isn’t happy here and says he wants to go home and pick 1 was on the table, we would have to take it.
We should take it if they offer it regardless of whether he's happy here. We don't need another third tall to do a three year apprenticeship in the SANFL. If he can get us an elite mid, we take it and run.

In saying that you clearly needed a KPD.
It's a topic for another thread, but not really. Although our KPDs are inexperienced, we had plenty in terms of number and demonstrated ability to play at the level in Murray, Keane, Worrell, Butts and Borlase. Some of those are better or higher upside than others, but between them there was no justification for making further massive investment in KPD with our midfield in the state it is in.

Tellingly, all 5 of those guys cost us a combined total of a pick in the 20s (Worrell) and a rookie pick (Butts). KPD does not need to be a high cost position to fill.

I am still holding out hope that the long term plan might be for Curtin to play midfield. Or that might become the plan when we get better coaches.

I'm getting mixed messages on Curtin. Is he a likely future midfielder or not. If he's just a defender then can we package him up and send him to West Coast with pick(s) to get a higher pick so we can draft Draper and Welsh? I'm assuming we will finish around 14th.

Ask what his beef is with Dawson
If it’s actually true, I’m guessing it’s mostly to do with Dawson being one of the rare Swans players to leave once becoming good

In which case, it’s very much likely Hayward stays, unfortunately

Of course it could be character-related, but Dawson and Hayward both seem well liked by those around them

Gee. I'd be really reluctant to part with Curtin as i do think he will become a huge bodied agile mid in a season or 2 when he gets the AFL fitness. The kid is a massive talent. THE ONLY caveat to that is if there is noise about him wanting back to WA then yes i'd deal for WC 1st this year but not by also parting with our 1st which could be a top 5 pick itself. A future f1, yeah i guess so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back