Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bullshit.

Football illiteracy 101.

from the bloke who rates Shaun Atley, Kayne Turner and Aaron Hall. LOL.

You are deluded and have no concept of where we are at, on this particular topic (list management) you prove you’re dinosaur and have no concept/can’t even comprehend/listen to press conferences of incoming head coach.

I don’t know why you are so against a clean out, we have been ******* s**t for 20 years. Never a chance at a flag whilst topping up to remain mediocre and s**t.

You are a bizarre, yet interesting individual.

from the bloke who rates Shaun Atley, Kayne Turner and Aaron Hall. LOL.

Do you seriously think your dismissal of players backed up with nothing more than a "LOL" actually holds any weight?

You are deluded and have no concept of where we are at, on this particular topic (list management) you prove you’re dinosaur and have no concept/can’t even comprehend/listen to press conferences of incoming head coach.

I don’t know why you are so against a clean out, we have been ******* sh*t for 20 years. Never a chance at a flag whilst topping up to remain mediocre and sh*t.

You are a bizarre, yet interesting individual.

Supercoachers gunna supercoach.

Shake 'em up, mix 'em about and have another crack next week if it doesn't work out.

The Ziebell to the backline thing perplexes me not from the "he'll be taking games away from Hayden, Perez, Young, etc" perspective but moreso from the "I reckon he is going to be crucial to our structure up forward" perspective. No BB, no Comben, Larkey misses games of football at times, there are literally no other marking forward options if all of Taz, McKay and Josh Walker play in defence, which appears to be what's happening. I dunno, plenty to play out still but I found it odd.

The Ziebell to the backline thing perplexes me not from the "he'll be taking games away from Hayden, Perez, Young, etc" perspective but moreso from the "I reckon he is going to be crucial to our structure up forward" perspective. No BB, no Comben, Larkey misses games of football at times, there are literally no other marking forward options if all of Taz, McKay and Josh Walker play in defence, which appears to be what's happening. I dunno, plenty to play out still but I found it odd.

You raise an interesting point, but you left out Xerri. Perhaps they have Josh earmarked for a KPF spot?

I’ve only been to have a look twice, the first time he was training with the forwards, yesterday he was down back. I wouldn’t be surprised if plays forward and they were just having a look.

A forward that can't move or a HBF that can't kick? I say we go neither.
Potentially. I'm sure we're not limiting ourselves to just 2 candidates for the final list spot. No reason why we couldn't take a kid who's training somewhere else. Or hold the spot until midseason.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I’ve only been to have a look twice, the first time he was training with the forwards, yesterday he was down back. I wouldn’t be surprised if plays forward and they were just having a look.
Ford spent time in defence. So did Polec. Stephenson in the middle. I'm sure we'll be trialling a number of things in match practice and see if any are worth persisting with.

Do you seriously think your dismissal of players backed up with nothing more than a "LOL" actually holds any weight?

Supercoachers gunna supercoach.

Shake 'em up, mix 'em about and have another crack next week if it doesn't work out.
The hypocrisy in this statement is pure perfection.

Calls out for someone for not saying something that holds any weight

Then proceeds to use a buzzword which doesn't hold any weight and doesn't dismiss anything at all.

For the record, if Ziebell is good enough and gets to pre 2020 form he'll play and by that I mean being better than his 2020 form because his performance in 2020 would not cut it, anywhere, anytime.

But if he doesn't play it isn't the end of the world it's not like he'll be the only experienced player playing since Corr, McDonald, Tarrant, Polec, Dumont, Cunnington, Josh Walker, Anderson and Atley can all be playing and have a shot at our best 22, even with prioritised youth

Also Ziebell just shouldn't be playing in the backline his poor kicking effeciency and slow speed would make it hard for him to carve out a role there alongside the fact that our backline will be our most experienced position going into 2021.

Last edited:
Potentially. I'm sure we're not limiting ourselves to just 2 candidates for the final list spot. No reason why we couldn't take a kid who's training somewhere else. Or hold the spot until midseason.

We'd definitely survive taking neither. I'd save it for the midseason 19 year olds.

The hypocrisy in this statement is pure perfection.

Calls out for someone for not saying something that holds any weight and instead using

Then proceeds to use a buzzword which doesn't hold any weight and doesn't dismiss anything at all.

For the record, if Ziebell is good enough and gets to pre 2020 form he'll play and by that I mean being better than his 2020 form because his performance in 2020 would not cut it, anywhere, anytime.

But if he doesn't play it isn't the end of the world it's not like he'll be the only experienced player playing since Corr, McDonald, Tarrant, Polec, Dumont, Cunnington, Josh Walker, Anderson and Atley can all be playing and have a shot at our best 22, even with prioritised youth

Also Ziebell just shouldn't be playing in the backline his poor kicking effeciency and slow speed would make it hard for him to carve out a role there alongside the fact that our backline will be our most experienced position going into 2021.

Who the * are you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You raise an interesting point, but you left out Xerri. Perhaps they have Josh earmarked for a KPF spot?
Xerri might get given games in the forward line as there's no one else. But for mine, he's a ruck prospect only in the long term. Walker is a better defender for mine. But yeah, out of necessity will probably end up playing forward a fair bit too.

Good rebuttal as to what you just posted is hypocritical

Rebuttal? I never bothered to read past the first line.

Who the * are you that I should take any notice? Jog along.

The "play these kids" rationale is straight out of the text book for football illiterates.

The thing that appears to me missing in the arguments for JZ is stealing a spot and play the kids, is the game plan.

Richmond and to a lesser extent the Dogs built a game plan and much of the personnel on their list is like attack of the clones.

I thought Hardwick should have been sacked when Dusty was getting 35 touches a game in the back half.

The next year, Dusty played without a defensive bone in his body with the majority of his touches in the front half.

Dusty was surrounded by 2 way running clones who apply pressure, so much so that one of these clones is now at St Kilda. So provided Dusty is not injured then all good.

The point of the conversation is what is our game plan?

JZ playing forward or back is fine but if we are to play a small forward line with a pseudo CHF or a small full forward at various times, then we actually have multiple options to do so. Garner, JZ, Zurhaar, Ford even Stephenson as the deep forward and so on. Hell, I went to a game once and Cunners rested as a deep forward and kicked about 4 in a quarter.

We picked up a bunch of similar types this off season and people lament the lack of a tall being drafted. This points to ball movement and taking the 45 angles rather than the old down the line, kick and hope. Makes sense with a smaller forward line.

The point of the post is JZ and Garner are not stealing a spot from the kids. They to use an "NFL" term should be top in the depth chart for the roles the coaches want to play.

There should be multiple players in the squad that can play those roles in the game plan, so form and injury becomes less relevant for the team to perform. The incoming player should be able to slot straight in and perform i.e. JZ and LMAC could play similar roles down back and so on.

Good rebuttal as to what you just posted is hypocritical

Hey arsehat, this is what a good post looks like (see below):

The thing that appears to me missing in the arguments for JZ is stealing a spot and play the kids, is the game plan.

Richmond and to a lesser extent the Dogs built a game plan and much of the personnel on their list is like attack of the clones.

I thought Hardwick should have been sacked when Dusty was getting 35 touches a game in the back half.

The next year, Dusty played without a defensive bone in his body with the majority of his touches in the front half.

Dusty was surrounded by 2 way running clones who apply pressure, so much so that one of these clones is now at St Kilda. So provided Dusty is not injured then all good.

JZ playing forward or back is fine but if we are to play a small forward line with a pseudo CHF or a small full forward at various times, then we actually have multiple options to do so. Garner, JZ, Zurhaar, Ford even Stephenson as the deep forward and so on. Hell, I went to a game once and Cunners rested as a deep forward and kicked about 4 in a quarter.

We picked up a bunch of similar types this off season and people lament the lack of a tall being drafted. This points to ball movement and taking the 45 angles rather than the old down the line, kick and hope. Makes sense with a smaller forward line.

The point of the post is JZ and Garner are not stealing a spot from the kids. They to use an "NFL" term should be top in the depth chart for the roles the coaches want to play.

There should be multiple players in the squad that can play those roles in the game plan, so form and injury becomes less relevant for the team to perform. The incoming player should be able to slot straight in and perform i.e. JZ and LMAC could play similar roles down back and so on.

The point of the post is JZ and Garner are not stealing a spot from the kids. They to use an "NFL" term should be top in the depth chart for the roles the coaches want to play. It's also why Brown was downgraded from a tactical perspective. The defence were getting caught out too often by all charging forward.

Good post.

I can see Jack down back in a defence that holds it's structure and looks to get out using forward movement either by long kicking or midfield running transition. Based on what I saw last year, this is the game plan that is emerging. It's also why Brown was viewed as having less tactical value.

Jack & L-Mac could be utilised as the rebounding kicking springboards. Jack also plays taller than his height and has the smarts to zone well defensively. His only real liability is top line pace.

Last edited:
Ford spent time in defence. So did Polec. Stephenson in the middle. I'm sure we'll be trialling a number of things in match practice and see if any are worth persisting with.

This is exactly what it is - a new coaching panel trying players in different positions to get a sense of what might work and what might not.

Noble said he would be doing this in his first interview as coach so no surprises here.

The other fallacy out there is that we are now somehow a 'young side'.

Our midfield will be very experienced; our defence will have solid experience and we might be a little underdone up front but even then there wont be any first year players there - Larkey, Zurhaar, Stevo have been around the block now. The forward line needs one more experienced head in there at that will be either Josh Walker or JZ.

Our list was hopelessly lopsided in 2020 - we were old and a bottom 4 side - the worst possible combination. Appropriate action was taken to cut through that at year end.

But we wont be a young side in 2021 - our first round 22 will be as experienced as the bulk of other sides in the comp.

Isn’t it concerning that the Captain is at risk of being a non playing Captain if these posts are anything to go by?
Since when are posts anything to go by?

Isn’t it concerning that the Captain is at risk of being a non playing Captain if these posts are anything to go by?

Most posts are arguing about what position he plays. There is a small number of posters who want him out of the team, but they have short memories.

If he stays fit, and there's no reason to think he won't, then Jack will be a strong contributor this year. My personal view is that will be up forward, but I'm open to him playing elsewhere if the game plan dictates it.

You might morph in to a turnip in 2021 if some of these posts are anything to go by.

This is exactly what it is - a new coaching panel trying players in different positions to get a sense of what might work and what might not.

Noble said he would be doing this in his first interview as coach so no surprises here.

The other fallacy out there is that we are now somehow a 'young side'.

Our midfield will be very experienced; our defence will have solid experience and we might be a little underdone up front but even then there wont be any first year players there - Larkey, Zurhaar, Stevo have been around the block now. The forward line needs one more experienced head in there at that will be either Josh Walker or JZ.

Our list was hopelessly lopsided in 2020 - we were old and a bottom 4 side - the worst possible combination. Appropriate action was taken to cut through that at year end.

But we wont be a young side in 2021 - our first round 22 will be as experienced as the bulk of other sides in the comp.

I think the perception that we are a young side is because we have the most players 22 y/o or younger in the comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back