Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

He has mastered that one area (an area that I think makes him more likely to stay in defence) now he has to build on that and add the other facets - ie creating more rebound, gaining more possession etc.

I agree that SPS could be a very good midfielder - I just think he would benefit from some continuity.

SPS will most likely never become a gun midfielder. Isn’t fit enough to do it consistently over a season.

Considering he is still basically learning the half back role he has done very well. No reason why he can’t make that spot his own for the next 10 years.

SPS will most likely never become a gun midfielder. Isn’t fit enough to do it consistently over a season.

Considering he is still basically learning the half back role he has done very well. No reason why he can’t make that spot his own for the next 10 years.
Good call. That or HHF.

Why doesn't it surprise me that I don't agree with the majority re: Marchbank. :p
The kid is a long term KPD. Just needs to build his body up and get on the park for now.
Height has its advantages SB as far as being to hold your own, but when it comes to actually being able to match up and having the nous and ability at beating or competing against the very best KP forwards in all scenarios one on one then Marchy hasn’t displayed anything near the capabilities of fulfilling this type of role... I’m happy too be proven wrong but by my eye from what I’ve seen he a wonderful third talk, put him up against any of these KP forwards head to head and he’d get exposed physically unfortunately...

Versatility is the key to modern footy, with most players within a squad or gameday

SPS, Martin, or any other player than can play a mid/forward role, defensive/offensive wingman, a tracking or shutdown backman

A solid structure is vital, tactics just as important

I’m 100% on the solid structure bandwagon Azza, as well as continuity.

Just some general musings from me on the last few pages....

If we look back to the really good sides this century that have won multiple flags - Lions, Hawks, Cats, Tiggers, you see continuity of the group and structure rather than worrying about opponents/heights etc

My preferred backline structural mix/roles (names attached are loose depending on your own preference):
2 x KPDS - Weiters and Jones with Levi as backup and MArchy/JSOS if forced due to injury
1 x tallish interceptor - Marchy (I’m an unabashed fan when fit) PLow (if released and Marchy injured) Kemp (as a start till he develops) JSOS (if needed)
1 x Utility - Plow is pretty much it - JSOS/Willow if injured or go the extra small if Marchy fit
3 x smalls- Doc, Saad, SPS, Newman, Willow - also think Cuners could play this role - struggles to win his own pill so defend a man first then run off and create, we tried it a bit early days but may be too late and midfield or bust

Lots of list flexibility there albeit a bit light on for KP options, I reckon they’ll take McDonald as rookie coverage for a year at least. Starts to get real interesting if/when everyone gets fit at once (oooh there goes a flying pig)

And as for Levi being needed forward when Charlie out, my preference if Weiters of Jones goes out would be to swing Levi back and have JSOS and McG support Harry with a fleet of mid/smalls than play Levi fwd. I love the big lug but footy IQ is not his strength, I’ve been worried each game that he’ll kill Harry or Charlie instead of creating space for them.

Can’t wait for games to start - Go Baggers!!!

Good call. That or HHF.

I reckon between Martin, Cuners, Fish, Honey and Kennedy we have enough half forwards. I’d argue Samo is or would be the best of the lot but he’s probably been moved out of necessity.

Versatility is only a good thing and it’s nice to have that pinch hitting option should we need it, but he’s now a long term back flanker for mine.

So many on here try to say. Unfortunately, they are wrong and he will easily find himself slotting in at full back or centre half back if either are injured
He doesn’t play that way, not at least up until 2 years ago when he last played... KP forwards are over 200cm now for every side plus the bulk and strength he’s got no chance at all being a KP defender IMO Flowers

Last edited:
Again, he can do both. I would suggest his available mid minutes are pretty limited given the murderers row in front of him. I understand your position, mine is that I would like to see him at HHF or wing to feed the forward line. I get that he was effective in one game as a mid but, that is a very small sample size. Could he be successful there more often? Probably. Who goes out? Cripps, Ed, Setters, Williams, Martin, Walsh? Then there are all the could be mids: Murphy, Cuners, Dow.

SPS could be part of that,
Another reason just to leave him where he is, IMO.

I’m 100% on the solid structure bandwagon Azza, as well as continuity.

Just some general musings from me on the last few pages....

If we look back to the really good sides this century that have won multiple flags - Lions, Hawks, Cats, Tiggers, you see continuity of the group and structure rather than worrying about opponents/heights etc

My preferred backline structural mix/roles (names attached are loose depending on your own preference):
2 x KPDS - Weiters and Jones with Levi as backup and MArchy/JSOS if forced due to injury
1 x tallish interceptor - Marchy (I’m an unabashed fan when fit) PLow (if released and Marchy injured) Kemp (as a start till he develops) JSOS (if needed)
1 x Utility - Plow is pretty much it - JSOS/Willow if injured or go the extra small if Marchy fit
3 x smalls- Doc, Saad, SPS, Newman, Willow - also think Cuners could play this role - struggles to win his own pill so defend a man first then run off and create, we tried it a bit early days but may be too late and midfield or bust

Lots of list flexibility there albeit a bit light on for KP options, I reckon they’ll take McDonald as rookie coverage for a year at least. Starts to get real interesting if/when everyone gets fit at once (oooh there goes a flying pig)

And as for Levi being needed forward when Charlie out, my preference if Weiters of Jones goes out would be to swing Levi back and have JSOS and McG support Harry with a fleet of mid/smalls than play Levi fwd. I love the big lug but footy IQ is not his strength, I’ve been worried each game that he’ll kill Harry or Charlie instead of creating space for them.

Can’t wait for games to start - Go Baggers!!!

There is always merit in both. Those sides you named had multiple players that played in at least 2 arcs, some in all 3, Edwards, Burgoyne, Hodge, Suckling, Rooke, Kelly, etc

Continuity isn't always about one player in one position, more about having the majority of your best players on the park, that understand their role and can enforce the gameplan structure on a repetitive basis

I disagree he cannot become a top line midfielder but that doesn’t make any of us right or wrong atm, certainly can build his endurance up to become elite enough just like others that have been written off already K’uuns..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree he cannot become a top line midfielder but that doesn’t make any of us right or wrong atm, certainly can build his endurance up to become elite enough just like others that have been written off already K’uuns..

I think if he had that capacity we’d have seen it more often. Coming into his 5th season and looks set for another year at half back. The longer he stays away from the guts the less likely it gets.

This is not a talent or current ability issue. Purely fitness. I’d love for him to prove me wrong and become an A grade mid, but he could also be equally as valuable distributing off half back whilst the heat is on Doc and Saad. Good to have options.

He doesn’t play that way, not at least up until 2 years ago when he last played... KP forwards are over 200cm now for every side plus the bulk and strength he’s got no chance at all being a KP defender IMO Flowers
Won’t know till he gets a go. Never thought Grimes would make it as a KPD after Rance retired.

Having said that, Marchbank is best suited playing as an intercepting tall defender.

I think if he had that capacity we’d have seen it more often. Coming into his 5th season and looks set for another year at half back. The longer he stays away from the guts the less likely it gets.

This is not a talent or current ability issue. Purely fitness. I’d love for him to prove me wrong and become an A grade mid, but he could also be equally as valuable distributing off half back whilst the heat is on Doc and Saad. Good to have options.
Talents never been the issue thats for sure, mostly endurance ‘lack of 2way running’ and strength has imo contributed like a few of our other young drafted midfielders in hindering them being played throughout there more,... If he develops into a first class smaller defender as depths of the midfield can’t fit him in then I’m more than happy with that for sure 👍

Won’t know till he gets a go. Never thought Grimes would make it as a KPD after Rance retired.

Having said that, Marchbank is best suited playing as an intercepting tall defender.
Sorry DD just want to pump my tyres up with a player i really liked early days, think I’ve mentioned this before when Grimes was in his early days my pies mate and myself had the debate about how we rated him, pies mate thought he wasn’t much chop but i thought he had the makings of a very good player... bragging rights...
I loved when we picked up Marchy, injuries have hurt him big time but he’s no Grimes jmo...

Last edited:
It stuns me that Marchbank’s position as a potential key position defender is still being considered a reliable option. He is NOT strong enough or athletically agile enough (a la Grimes) to compete one v one against big forwards. He won’t become strong enough either. He doesn’t have the frame. Doesn’t have the leg power. Stop looking at his height and thinking ‘oh he’s tall enough’. He’s a terrific endurance athlete. His pace is decent. He does read the play well as an interceptor, has nice hands above his head and he has great courage.

He’s not a lock down disciplined type (a la Plow). He’s never never never going to be reliably one of the 2 key defenders.

He’s a very competent third tall. Nothing more. Nothing less. As far as backline goes. He could be an interesting project as a wingman (due to running ability and size). But I wouldn’t bet on it.

I’d bet on him being third tall. And just forget all the other debates.

We need to recruit a key defender next summer. Not try and make Marchbank something he isn’t.

Could this possibly be the last time we have to recycle this debate? Like.....PLEASEEEEEEE??????

Versatility is the key to modern footy, with most players within a squad or gameday

SPS, Martin, or any other player than can play a mid/forward role, defensive/offensive wingman, attacking or shutdown backman

A solid structure is vital, tactics just as important
And yet someone like Martin goes in and out of games and week to week is either really good or just average.......probably because he doesn't have a set role

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back