Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Even without Charlie I dare say we'd move Casboult back. Isn't that exactly what we saw in 2019?

Marchbank has the height but he's not a key defender. He's a 3rd/4th tall in our system.

Similarly, Harry has the height to be a ruckman, but as yet we've not seen him play as one. Why? Because he's not a ruckman.

If we take Oscar McDonald - which seems a distinct possibility - we'd rather he deputize for Jones/Weitering as well.
I'm confused as * some people say marchbank can't be kpd cause of his height , you're saying he has the height but can't be a kpd , why exactly can't he be ?

And yet someone like Martin goes in and out of games and week to week is either really good or just average.......probably because he doesn't have a set role

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Doubt it.

I suggest it has nothing to do with him shifting roles. Of course he will be less involved if he is camped in the forward line while the play is either between the arcs or our back half

It stuns me that Marchbank’s position as a potential key position defender is still being considered a reliable option. He is NOT strong enough or athletically agile enough (a la Grimes) to compete one v one against big forwards. He won’t become strong enough either. He doesn’t have the frame. Doesn’t have the leg power. Stop looking at his height and thinking ‘oh he’s tall enough’. He’s a terrific endurance athlete. His pace is decent. He does read the play well as an interceptor, has nice hands above his head and he has great courage.

He’s not a lock down disciplined type (a la Plow). He’s never never never going to be reliably one of the 2 key defenders.

He’s a very competent third tall. Nothing more. Nothing less. As far as backline goes. He could be an interesting project as a wingman (due to running ability and size). But I wouldn’t bet on it.

I’d bet on him being third tall. And just forget all the other debates.

We need to recruit a key defender next summer. Not try and make Marchbank something he isn’t.

Could this possibly be the last time we have to recycle this debate? Like.....PLEASEEEEEEE??????
Quality over quantity once again...
Are you working hard enough on a way into training?
I have a contact in the local hot air balloon industry, food, drinks camera and binoculars supplied...
Your call...

Doubt it.

I suggest it has nothing to do with him shifting roles. Of course he will be less involved if he is camped in the forward line while the play is either between the arcs or our back half
Then it's him then. Martin to me seemed the same as the player from gold coast. Looked great at times and then goes missing (and missed important set shots at goal)

I'm hoping for more consistency going forward but won't hold my breath. Only 26 but should be hitting his straps now.

I'm confused as fu** some people say marchbank can't be kpd cause of his height , you're saying he has the height but can't be a kpd , why exactly can't he be ?

Nobody has said he can't be a KPD due to his height.

Height alone doesn't make a key defender.

Just as at 200cm Harry McKay isn't a ruckman.

Then it's him then. Martin to me seemed the same as the player from gold coast. Looked great at times and then goes missing (and missed important set shots at goal)

I'm hoping for more consistency going forward but won't hold my breath. Only 26 but should be hitting his straps now.

I think last year had a few excuses attached too it Frump, not just the better players but all, we really couldn’t even imagine anywhere near the impact by the incredibly f’kd circumstances in the footy bubble may have had, any type of toll on all of them and their families... Better judgment this buddy...

I think last year had a few excuses attached too it Frump, not just the better players but all, we really couldn’t even imagine anywhere near the impact by the incredibly f’kd circumstances in the footy bubble may have had, any type of toll on all of them and their families... Better judgment this buddy...
Maybe but was a repeat of his career at gold coast, shows elite and does it at times but then goes missing. In a good side will be the cherry but was hoping he'd also be the one to elevate us but went missing when needed under pressure I thought.

You can use the covid/bubble excuse for anyone from last year.......cop out I reckon

Nobody has said he can't be a KPD due to his height.

Height alone doesn't make a key defender.

Just as at 200cm Harry McKay isn't a ruckman.
You might want to go back through this thread cause various people have said he can't be a kpd cause of his height . Just saying man .

There is always merit in both. Those sides you named had multiple players that played in at least 2 arcs, some in all 3, Edwards, Burgoyne, Hodge, Suckling, Rooke, Kelly, etc

Continuity isn't always about one player in one position, more about having the majority of your best players on the park, that understand their role and can enforce the gameplan structure on a repetitive basis

So true - look at the Lions backline across their flags as an example of what you’re saying (going from memory here so hopefully I don’t miss too many)
  • KPD’s - essentially Leppa and Michael
  • 3rd talls/Utility - Pike - also went Wing and fwd as needed, White who also went fwd too
  • Smalls - Johnson, the Scotts played in some each, Aker also versatile, same as Lappin and Ashcroft and Power who spent time of half back along with mid and HF in differing years

Not comparing us to them abviously but I like our developing versatility - now looking for cohesion and keeping the main components on the on the park!!

Maybe but was a repeat of his career at gold coast, shows elite and does it at times but then goes missing. In a good side will be the cherry but was hoping he'd also be the one to elevate us but went missing when needed under pressure I thought.

You can use the covid/bubble excuse for anyone from last year.......cop out I reckon

He is a high impact player -but he also needs other players of his class to work with. He is one player I love watching wether it is tackling hard ( which he does every time) or moving the ball to where it should go or taking a mark he shouldn't be able to or chasing down a fast player who has a 5 meter start on him - like he did to Whitfield in teh GWS game. The one thing that I think let us (and him down) was his set shot kicking as the year progressed - missed a few vital shots that he should be able to kick. The only blokes I trust with a 35 meter shot are Kennedy and Cuningham - the rest are all iffy and just make games a lot harder for us than they could have been.

You might want to go back through this thread cause various people have said he can't be a kpd cause of his height . Just saying man .

Haven't seen anyone say it due to his height.

If they have, they'd be wrong. 193cm is on the shorter side for a key defender, but it's tall enough with the right build.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair enough, i thought he had a solid year... I think and expect him too really go next level next year particularly with more midfield time, be interesting where how the club see’s his output in this years B&F...
Should be top 10 easily...

He is a high impact player -but he also needs other players of his class to work with. He is one player I love watching wether it is tackling hard ( which he does every time) or moving the ball to where it should go or taking a mark he shouldn't be able to or chasing down a fast player who has a 5 meter start on him - like he did to Whitfield in teh GWS game. The one thing that I think let us (and him down) was his set shot kicking as the year progressed - missed a few vital shots that he should be able to kick. The only blokes I trust with a 35 meter shot are Kennedy and Cuningham - the rest are all iffy and just make games a lot harder for us than they could have been.
Yeah agree, his goal kicking got worse the longer the season went on. It seemed it was always him or Cripps who had a shot at goal at important times to get us back in the game, put us in front or put the foot on the throat and continually failed the test.

Fair enough, i thought he had a solid year... I think and expect him too really go next level next year particularly with more midfield time, be interesting where how the club see’s his output in this years B&F...
Should be top 10 easily...
I'd say slightly less than solid but close. I expected more consistency. His good games were great, poor games were poor for someone we chased after and paying good money. 26 yrs of age so should be hitting his straps the next 3 years. Here's hoping we see more of the good games than not.

It stuns me that Marchbank’s position as a potential key position defender is still being considered a reliable option. He is NOT strong enough or athletically agile enough (a la Grimes) to compete one v one against big forwards. He won’t become strong enough either. He doesn’t have the frame. Doesn’t have the leg power. Stop looking at his height and thinking ‘oh he’s tall enough’. He’s a terrific endurance athlete. His pace is decent. He does read the play well as an interceptor, has nice hands above his head and he has great courage.

He’s not a lock down disciplined type (a la Plow). He’s never never never going to be reliably one of the 2 key defenders.

He’s a very competent third tall. Nothing more. Nothing less. As far as backline goes. He could be an interesting project as a wingman (due to running ability and size). But I wouldn’t bet on it.

I’d bet on him being third tall. And just forget all the other debates.

We need to recruit a key defender next summer. Not try and make Marchbank something he isn’t.

Could this possibly be the last time we have to recycle this debate? Like.....PLEASEEEEEEE??????
This :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

And yet someone like Martin goes in and out of games and week to week is either really good or just average.......probably because he doesn't have a set role

Possibly. Do you think we were seeking that role in his first season with us after an inconsistent stint at Suns?

I'd say slightly less than solid but close. I expected more consistency. His good games were great, poor games were poor for someone we chased after and paying good money. 26 yrs of age so should be hitting his straps the next 3 years. Here's hoping we see more of the good games than not.

You are right. My concession would be he is not recruited to be a 30 possession type. X factor and light games up. That breeds inconsistency ala Eddie. 20 touches and impact winning. When COVID conditions struck, these types were influenced by conditioning and a drop in overall standards. Agree about goal kicking. Seemed to lose confidence.

I'm confused as fu** some people say marchbank can't be kpd cause of his height , you're saying he has the height but can't be a kpd , why exactly can't he be ?
I remember when Michael Sexton initially played he was only a half-back flanker because of his light frame, and even in 1995 Peter Dean played the centre half-back role because he was more physical than Sexton..-.. but when Dean got injured in 96 Sexton took over Centre half back and was one of Carlton's best all season as the centre half-back.... I think we'll see similar with marchbank as he matures and gets older.--.. He certainly needs more physicality in his game and to hold his opponent out in 1 on 1 marking contests..-.. But if they develop him in that way to play centre half back there's no reason why he can't make that adjustment & B fantastic in that role

Training gallery Monday 1st Feb ...

2J1A4576.jpg

DSC04229.jpg

2J1A4614.jpg

2J1A4871.jpg

2J1A4554.jpg

DSC04241.jpg

Nice hat :tearsofjoy:

2J1A4478.jpg

Crippa looks very good
Hoping for a big Yr for MK
Weits developing SOS's tree trunks
Is that a horse on Liams left thigh?

I think if he had that capacity we’d have seen it more often. Coming into his 5th season and looks set for another year at half back. The longer he stays away from the guts the less likely it gets.

This is not a talent or current ability issue. Purely fitness. I’d love for him to prove me wrong and become an A grade mid, but he could also be equally as valuable distributing off half back whilst the heat is on Doc and Saad. Good to have options.
We are about to play Williams as a midfielder after 8 years at half back.
I think it can work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back