Game Day West Coast vs Cockburn Rd 1 Ansett Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does it have to be someones fault? Why can't it be two players went in for the ball and there was a collision? By the rules, it's a free kick against Shep but it's not suspendible.
Exactly, everyone has this need to lay the blame at someones feet. Sometimes in a contact sport contact happens and people get injured. It doesn't have to be anyone's fault.

Why does it have to be someones fault? Why can't it be two players went in for the ball and there was a collision? By the rules, it's a free kick against Shep but it's not suspendible.

This.

If Shep went past the ball and/or only had eyes for the Freo's players legs, then OK. But they were both going for the ball. Shep's eyes glued to the ball the whole time.

Stuff happens.

Trew has super clean hands too
True that. Also seemed to weigh up options before releasing. Some of his handballs were after a stop and prop, nothing on, handball back to someone with more space and time.
Watched the last qtr again, mainly to see just what he did and he was impressive. Even his tackling and pressure from one contest to the next. Yes it is only pre-season but for one quarter in hid first game he impressed me more than I have been for a long time.

XON also impressed me. Not his first game but has definitely improved and dis not look out of place.

To be honest most of the young guys showed a bit.

Fredericks for Freo went all right, might find his way into my dreamteam.

No malice from Sheppard but if the roles were reversed I'd be angry at the Freo player too.

Fair enough from the Purples imo.
Suppose you’d be angry at Cole for tackling Lobb then as well

Nah, it's not like Shep slid in from 15 metres away, he was on the ball the whole time. Put it this way, what do you think he should have done differently?
You’re not wrong but I guarantee if the roles were reversed people would be annoyed about it on here.

But it’s clearly accidental and not worthy of being dragged over hot Toms and cited. But they’re allowed to be angry about it.

What's Barrass got to do with this?

Suppose you’d be angry at Cole for tackling Lobb then as well
What Cole did was legal, what Shep did wasn't.
Nah, it's not like Shep slid in from 15 metres away, he was on the ball the whole time. Put it this way, what do you think he should have done differently?
Kept his feet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah probably some here would, there's very few decent posters left over there though. They all act and react to things like they're in some sort of extremist cult.
That’s true. I appreciate the mods on here and how relatively welcoming we are to oppo fans.

Free kick against Shepard. Looked at it a few times and at the end of the day he did elect to go from standing up to a horizontal dive at the ball.
It's a contact sport and he was just playing the ball but the rule is there for players having their legs taken out. My only beef is the fact Shep was at the ball first.

The one that got me was when walters blatantly took out Gov in a marking contest on the boundary. Should have either been unrealistic attempt or a push out.
Nothing was even said. Maybe it contributed to his blown hammy? Karma's a bitch.

If roles were reversed with the Shep incident I would be pissed at the outcome but in no way would I be pissed at the player. Pure accident and I applaud a guy going for the ball like that. He was first there and Banfield was several meters away when he grabbed it (although closing fast). To be honest I think that the rule needs to be tweeked. If Banfield was standing over the ball and attempting a pick up and Shep dives in then yes, absolutely free kick but if you run into a bloke on the ground already with the ball then the onus is on you to protect yourself by either jumping over (like Fyfe did when Gov put on that ripper of a bump at the beginning of the 4th) or get low and side on and use your body.
I recall a very similar incident last year where Brander hesitated over the ball and the oppo went in low and hard and he got what looked at the time to be a nasty leg injury- luckily he was fine.
In short, I think Banfield contributed as much to that outcome as Shep did. I wish the bloke a speedy recovery.

Exactly this. Man why are footy fans such absolute bitches sometimes.

Are freo supporters upset simply because the free kick was incorrectly awarded to Sheppard??

Surely surely they can’t expect that to be a reportable offence. * me dead

Exactly this. Man why are footy fans such absolute bitches sometimes.

Are freo supporters upset simply because the free kick was incorrectly awarded to Sheppard??
Like our fans at the game who booed Fyfe, really.

Not only are the MRO decisions based on outcomes instead of intentions - BigFooty outrage has subscribed to the same principle

If roles were reversed with the Shep incident I would be pissed at the outcome but in no way would I be pissed at the player. Pure accident and I applaud a guy going for the ball like that. He was first there and Banfield was several meters away when he grabbed it (although closing fast). To be honest I think that the rule needs to be tweeked. If Banfield was standing over the ball and attempting a pick up and Shep dives in then yes, absolutely free kick but if you run into a bloke on the ground already with the ball then the onus is on you to protect yourself by either jumping over (like Fyfe did when Gov put on that ripper of a bump at the beginning of the 4th) or get low and side on and use your body.
I recall a very similar incident last year where Brander hesitated over the ball and the oppo went in low and hard and he got what looked at the time to be a nasty leg injury- luckily he was fine.
In short, I think Banfield contributed as much to that outcome as Shep did. I wish the bloke a speedy recovery.

Banfield is the only one in that situation who has any sight of whats going to happen as it happens. Shep is playing the ball against his direct opponent and has the ball.

What is banfields best case scenario coming into the contest like that, he gets there half a second earlier when it's just sheps head over the ball and he is kicking in danger?

Banfield shouldn't be coming into that contest front on and upright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back