Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe: CROWS 2021 RUMOURS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely the price would be too high. Realistically he hasn’t shown much on the field either. Injuries have hurt him but barely played 3 good games. There should be question marks about him performing before we go throwing him a decent contract considering we will have a few good young players coming out of contract
If we don't Port will

Cripps contract up and the end of the year and could move a RFA, Freo will be throwing everything at getting him.
Given what the Blues just spent to bring in Williams and Saad, surely they are gonna be up against it to bring Cripps back at the salary he's gonna demand.

Daresay the Collingwood style fire-sale might be on the cards. Getting rid of Captain Zinger Burger's $800k/year contract will step 1!

Surely the price would be too high. Realistically he hasn’t shown much on the field either. Injuries have hurt him but barely played 3 good games. There should be question marks about him performing before we go throwing him a decent contract considering we will have a few good young players coming out of contract
If he plays 10+ games this year, but seems to have peaked and plays a fairly average season, it would be the perfect time to get him. Could hopefully get him for a pick in the 20s.

Personally, I'd be targeting Bailey Smith. I know that he 'needed' to stay in Victoria around draft time, but a nice $8-900k per season offer for 7 years might just see those issues be resolved. The WB have to be having some salary cap issues and I don't think they would be able to match this kind of deal. Meanwhile Smith would fit in perfectly with our new midfield. He's perfect for us.

Given what the Blues just spent to bring in Williams and Saad, surely they are gonna be up against it to bring Cripps back at the salary he's gonna demand.

Daresay the Collingwood style fire-sale might be on the cards. Getting rid of Captain Zinger Burger's $800k/year contract will step 1!
No interest in Cripps. He's already struggling with a banged up body. In 2 - 3 years time he will be worse than what Sloane is now.

No interest in Cripps. He's already struggling with a banged up body. In 2 - 3 years time he will be worse than what Sloane is now.

That's a big call. Its inevitable Cripps will fall apart as a footballer, but he also doesn't have that inconsistency Sloane has (and of course you can't discount off field issues with Rory). He'll probably be like Thommo, where the end comes around 32-33.

If he plays 10+ games this year, but seems to have peaked and plays a fairly average season, it would be the perfect time to get him. Could hopefully get him for a pick in the 20s.

Personally, I'd be targeting Bailey Smith. I know that he 'needed' to stay in Victoria around draft time, but a nice $8-900k per season offer for 7 years might just see those issues be resolved. The WB have to be having some salary cap issues and I don't think they would be able to match this kind of deal. Meanwhile Smith would fit in perfectly with our new midfield. He's perfect for us.
Seriously?

Bailey Smith ain't happening, if on the rare chance he wanted to leave the Dogs there would be queue up of other Melbourne clubs pushing similar contracts his way. At Smith's age you'd have more chance of shaking the Bont loose than Bailey.

I would probably be more interested in finding out who the firesale players were in that scenario.
This is exactly right

Carlton will give the Grundy treatment to Cripps.

Who can be picked off when the dollars dry up?

This is exactly right

Not a lot of quality on their list though. A number of their first round picks have either been injured or haven't come on, and they have quite a few ageing plodder types.

Weitering and Walsh would be untouchable.

McKay is out of contract I believe. He'll definitely have some interest from rival clubs.

Or Dunkley
Unfortunately Dunkley's not quite in the same stratosphere as Bailey and the Bont..

Edit : If we were to target a Dogs player it would be a player we had great interest in in his draft year mid/forward Patrick Lipinski who I think would be a very good fit in our midfield rotations....another good user of the pill.

Last edited:
Seriously?

Bailey Smith ain't happening, if on the rare chance he wanted to leave the Dogs there would be queue up of other Melbourne clubs pushing similar contracts his way. At Smith's age you'd have more chance of shaking the Bont loose than Bailey.
I know it is unlikely, but out of all their players, he is the one I would want most. Targeting him with a big deal would challenge the Dogs ability to match. If they don't match, you get an absolute gun. If they did, you just might get some other talent cheaper.

It's a huge call I know, but it terms of type of player and age profile, he would be perfect.

We sat there and had guys like Phil Davis, Nathan Bock, Skirt Tippett and Jack Gunston raided from us. Time to return the favour a bit.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately Dunkley's not quite in the same stratosphere as Bailey and the Bont..

Edit : If we were to target a Dogs player it would be a player we had great interest in in his draft year mid/forward Patrick Lipinski who I think would be a very good fit in our midfield rotations....another good user of the pill.

Fair call. He wouldn't cost as much as the others either. Has always been on the fringe of best 22 at the Dogs.

This is exactly right

For me i've been keeping a close eye on Brodie Kemp. 192cm Vic Country mid/fwd/def who hasn't played a game yet due to his injury history, but he was my draft crush in that year, thought his carnival was extremely impressive. Was not against going up and getting him with our 2 x 2nd rounders at the time.

Would have to be still out of contract at this point as well.

Last edited:
For me i've been keeping a close eye on Brodie Kemp. 192cm Vic Country mid/fwd who hasn't played a game yet due to his injury history, but he was my draft crush in that year, thought his carnival was extremely impressive. Was not against going up and getting him with our 2 x 2nd rounders at the time.

Would have to be still out of contract at this point as well.
Did an ACL just before the draft then a 12 week ankle injury this preseason, rough. I recall big wraps on him.

Did an ACL just before the draft then a 12 week ankle injury this preseason, rough. I recall big wraps on him.
He looked very good in that gun Vic Country team that just went down to WA in the U18 carnival.

Was in the best players in 3 out of 4 games in a pretty handy lineup that included Lachie Ash, Caleb Serong, Sam Flanders, Cody Weightman, Hayden Young, Sam De Koning, and Elijah Hollands.

I know it is unlikely, but out of all their players, he is the one I would want most. Targeting him with a big deal would challenge the Dogs ability to match. If they don't match, you get an absolute gun. If they did, you just might get some other talent cheaper.

It's a huge call I know, but it terms of type of player and age profile, he would be perfect.

We sat there and had guys like Phil Davis, Nathan Bock, Skirt Tippett and Jack Gunston raided from us. Time to return the favour a bit.
It may work out well in the end though. Look at all the players that were targeted at Collingwood. In the end they signed everyone, then they had to get rid of a few because of salary cap pressure. Unfortunately if you draft and develop well, you will lose some on the way as players are greedy and always wants more

I tend to agree. He seems slow and one-dimensional now. His go-to seems to be always to run at the oppo and attempt to break through. If it works, fine, if not, it is quickly exposed. He has allegedly dropped weight this year and that won't help with this strategy. I agree that he will age quickly.

If he's not worth it then we let them. There's no point paying overs out of fear.

Whilst true, it would not be hard to twist my arm to go after Rankine. After all, his silk on the outside (alongside Sholl and friends) in what we are hoping will be a brutally tough side seems a match made in heaven.

Whilst true, it would not be hard to twist my arm to go after Rankine. After all, his silk on the outside (alongside Sholl and friends) in what we are hoping will be a brutally tough side seems a match made in heaven.
The only thing preventing Izak Rankine from becoming a superstar of the comp is Izak Rankine. As long as he applies himself to his maximum, his ceiling is right at the very top and if we ever had a chance to snare a talent like that we should be moving heaven and earth to do so

100% for the right price.

The only thing preventing Izak Rankine from becoming a superstar of the comp is Izak Rankine. As long as he applies himself to his maximum, his ceiling is right at the very top and if we ever had a chance to snare a talent like that we should be moving heaven and earth to do so
I know it was only under 18s but that game Rankine played against Victoria was one of the best halves of footy I’ve ever watched, he turned it on its head and was unstoppable. We should be throwing everything at him this year in hope Gold Coast deal early as he’s OOC next season. Rankine would also make the club a fortune in merchandise sales over the next 10 years and put bums on seats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back