If We Got Cameron, How Come.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 29, 2009
Belgrave
AFL Club
Geelong
...how come we have been developing Krueger in the backline for the past 12(?) months?

Been busy this last year and haven't been up on the latest too much at all. I'm still trying to process this. Did Krueger fail up forward in the 2nds? What happened with him?

Also noticed more that a few fans here commenting on how many backmen we have in the team. Which made me query it more.

We don't exactly have many KPD waiting in the wings though

With Krueger at 196cm, he kinda fills a gap in our list along our only other young potential KPD in SDK

So while we do have a few defenders on our list, we don't necessarily have an abundance of KPD

Henderson has been really good since being added to the rookie list, but he turns 32 in December, and Blicavs turned 30 last month but may end up being used in the ruck more than defence depending on how our rucks go

Some people on here don't like it but he isn't rated as a forward internally. Had enough opportunities to impress but didn't. Moved down back as a hail mary. Probably delisted at season's end
I hope he concentrates on defence and makes a go of it. He has the size and enough skills to do so.

We have a very specific record relating developing KPP players and KPF's. A ordinary one. It obviously easier to pay than develop especially when we cant access early talent.

That someone like Sav has been getting games..probably means they do not see a potential AFL player in Krueger. In the end it will probably be a wasted pick .

Krueger has talent, and is not constantly injured like Cockatoo, would be a ******* waste to not give him some games at some point.

I agree he hasn't dealt with as many injuries as Cockatoo, but he has battled with his fair share

He dealt with at least one concussion in his first season with us, along with a knee injury suffered during a VFL match

He had knee surgery in Dec 2019 which delayed his second preseason with us, and he returned to Vic in August/September last year for surgery on his knee after dealing with one soreness and the recommendation from a surgeon on the GC was for him to have an arthroscope

Hopefully he's over those issues as repeated knee issues aren't great

While I don’t really understand how Cameron is relevant, a key forward being sent back is like banishment to Siberia. Only hunger and disappointment (and ultimately delisting) awaits.
Who was the guy who stopped a rampaging Travis Cloke GF day 2011?
What position did he play in his first Grand Final?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree he hasn't dealt with as many injuries as Cockatoo, but he has battled with his fair share

He dealt with at least one concussion in his first season with us, along with a knee injury suffered during a VFL match

He had knee surgery in Dec 2019 which delayed his second preseason with us, and he returned to Vic in August/September last year for surgery on his knee after dealing with one soreness and the recommendation from a surgeon on the GC was for him to have an arthroscope

Hopefully he's over those issues as repeated knee issues aren't great
Yes. He is young. He needs confidence. If Henderson and Kolo/ Henry go down with injury, he will get his chance.

Mackie also started forward, pretty sure HT was a forward/wingman before drafted, Hendo was a forward at Carlton. Current players at other clubs: Darcy Moore, Liam Jones, Noah Balta, Jake Carlisle, Jack Lukosius, Jeremy Howe, Brennan Cox, etc. etc. There's tons of examples.
How many of these are failed forwards at VFL level (ie. haven’t made their AFL debut) and sending them back was their last chance to salvage their career? Precisely zero by my count.

How many of these are failed forwards at VFL level (ie. haven’t made their AFL debut) and sending them back was their last chance to salvage their career? Precisely zero by my count.
Usually when players are uncapped and get their roles switched it is the coaches trying to find them some other way to make it before making the delist decision. Moved Jamaine Jones to the back pocket.

Yes JJ has got a 2nd chance but doubt he comes back to bite us too hard

II
Some people on here don't like it but he isn't rated as a forward internally. Had enough opportunities to impress but didn't. Moved down back as a hail mary. Probably delisted at season's end
I clearly remember troy selwood saying freddy was going to be the next big thing. What a pity.

One is a coleman medalist and GWS record goal scorer. The other kicked 6 vs Coburg and not much against everyone else.

Chalk and cheese.
The last 2 seasons Cameron hasn't been with us, and if that position was implortant enough for us to buy Cameron, then why wasn't Krueger at least tried?

And bfd about Cameron. You guys promised me the arrival of God Dangerfield would result in multiple premiersships and I'm still waiting. I'd prefer we build a team than buy stars. I thought Krueger showed promise once.

And bfd about Cameron. You guys promised me the arrival of God Dangerfield would result in multiple premiersships and I'm still waiting. I'd prefer we build a team than buy stars. I thought Krueger showed promise once.

So you'd have not parted with Pick 9, 28 and a guy who never played a game, for the best player in the league at the time. As well as paying him a club friendly salary well below his market value. A player who has performed at a ridiculous level, elevating his game at the club while ensuring we compete deep into finals in almost every season?

Thank god you aren't in charge of list management.

The last 2 seasons Cameron hasn't been with us, and if that position was implortant enough for us to buy Cameron, then why wasn't Krueger at least tried?

Doesn’t the fact we needed a 2nd key forward - yet didn’t try and him and moved him to defence say all that needs to be said about Kreuger as a forward?

Last edited:
So you'd have not parted with Pick 9, 28 and a guy who never played a game, for the best player in the league at the time. As well as paying him a club friendly salary well below his market value. A player who has performed at a ridiculous level, elevating his game at the club while ensuring we compete deep into finals in almost every season?

Thank god you aren't in charge of list management.
Yep. As far as success goes, Dangerfield has been a dud. We never could build a premiership midfield around him. Not like we didn't have the players. It just never worked. Oh, he's been a "star" and all that. And I get that a lot of football supporting for many is about hero-worship. Danger is an ideal choice there. He reminds me a lot of Nathan Buckley. A star from the day they started and great interest in them.

I remember his first year for us, he absolutely starred, but quite a few players around the midfield went backwards that season. You have to make way for a star. I'm glad you are happy with him, though.

Doesn’t the fact we need a 2nd key forward yet didn’t try and him and moved him to defence say all that needs to be said about Kreuger as a forward?
He was never tried. "Eeny Meenie Minie Moe...I pick you!" And the guy next to that guy never gets a shot. And thats Krueger. The club wants flexibility, doesn't like ruckmen, so Sav fit the bill at the time as he could double as a part time ruck. From my limited knowledge, I think that is what happened.

Yep. As far as success goes, Dangerfield has been a dud. We never could build a premiership midfield around him. Not like we didn't have the players. It just never worked. Oh, he's been a "star" and all that. And I get that a lot of football supporting for many is about hero-worship. Danger is an ideal choice there. He reminds me a lot of Nathan Buckley. A star from the day they started and great interest in them.

So it's not a team game any more? All our lack of success (whatever you define success as) is on recruiting one guy? Interesting.

Would you argue he has not improved our team over the past six seasons? Even more interesting.

I remember his first year for us, he absolutely starred, but quite a few players around the midfield went backwards that season. You have to make way for a star. I'm glad you are happy with him, though.

Who went backwards due to his arrival? Bear in mind, we failed to make the finals in 2015.

Find me a pick from that 2015 draft (Picks 9 onwards) that would have been a better choice for us over the past five seasons than Danger?

So it's not a team game any more? All our lack of success (whatever you define success as) is on recruiting one guy? Interesting.

Would you argue he has not improved our team over the past six seasons? Even more interesting.

Who went backwards due to his arrival? Bear in mind, we failed to make the finals in 2015.

Find me a pick from that 2015 draft (Picks 9 onwards) that would have been a better choice for us over the past five seasons than Danger?
Only Doedee and Dunkley in that draft have gone on to good careers after pick 9. Menegola set aside. Hipwood left out as an academy player.
Not a lot to write home about otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back