If We Got Cameron, How Come.....

Remove this Banner Ad

We aren’t a kpd short. We currently have too many.

and I disagree with your analysis. You can’t win games consistently with no key fowards. Sure you may luck one out with just smalls every now and then. But the same is true in defence as well. teams of small defenders have
overcome teams of big key quality fowards before as well. but just doesn’t happen often. Plus kolo, henry and Stewart can all fill in as talls. Not ideal but they can do it. We don’t have anyone who can fill in as key fowards beyond hawkins, sav and Cameron.
Too many kpds? Name one under 30 years old that has played a single game in the seniors, I'll wait.

Henderson retirement imminent
Blicavs required to ruck
SDK hasn't played a game

There's literally no other key sized defenders on the list. If we're telling Kolo to keep Darling or Kennedy accountable then we may as well stay tanking now.

On the genuine key forward list we have

Hawkins
Cameron

Ok they're old so let's add punch hitting rucks who at least draw a defender off a genuine key:

Sav
Fort
Neale
Maybe Tsapatolis
Maybe SDK if it was dire

Ok there's a mix there that might be raw or not elite or required elsewhere. Let's now add other 3rd marking targets because you can control your entries:

Rohan
Dangerfield
Jenkins
Henry
Jarvis

It may be hard to get goals going your way with only one kpf, but if you're a kpd short you just will not win games against Richmond, West Coast, Brisbane or any other side with 2x kpfs.

Too many kpds? Name one under 30 years old that has played a single game in the seniors, I'll wait.

Henderson retirement imminent
Blicavs required to ruck
SDK hasn't played a game

There's literally no other key sized defenders on the list. If we're telling Kolo to keep Darling or Kennedy accountable then we may as well stay tanking now.

On the genuine key forward list we have

Hawkins
Cameron

Ok they're old so let's add punch hitting rucks who at least draw a defender off a genuine key:

Sav
Fort
Neale
Maybe Tsapatolis
Maybe SDK if it was dire

Ok there's a mix there that might be raw or not elite or required elsewhere. Let's now add other 3rd marking targets because you can control your entries:

Rohan
Dangerfield
Jenkins
Henry
Jarvis

It may be hard to get goals going your way with only one kpf, but if you're a kpd short you just will not win games against Richmond, West Coast, Brisbane or any other side with 2x kpfs.

It's got to be U28 remember, because if we use 28 as the age cut off it means we can ignore the KPF option of Cameron...

It's got to be U28 remember, because if we use 28 as the age cut off it means we can ignore the KPF option of Cameron...
Even if you set it at 28 you leave us with 1 kpd who has never played a game and a range of forward options to select from. They're not Coleman medallists, but they exist.

He's too skinny and probably doesn't have the mongrel in him to be a key position player.
Never thought he'd make it personally but if he's doing enough at VFL level, like Constable and Narkle have, he should get games if we have injuries to our key posts.
This notion of papering over the cracks with players from other positions is ridiculous.

If Harry Taylor didn't hang up the boots, we'd be watching him line up at CHF thus far in 2021.

Granted I ant seen him as many times as others... but he got KOD once putting his head over it ..and when I saw him mongrel was not missing. What makes you say that?
Go Catters

I'm aiming to get to the VFL match on Sunday - booked in for an early lunch ahead of that match

Will try to keep an eye on Kreuger, and our other senior options, to see how different options are going

And as much as I say that, I'll probably end up just watching the match and not paying too closer attention to individual players

I'm aiming to get to the VFL match on Sunday - booked in for an early lunch ahead of that match

Will try to keep an eye on Kreuger, and our other senior options, to see how different options are going

And as much as I say that, I'll probably end up just watching the match and not paying too closer attention to individual players

Having it available for plenty of us to watch on screens this weekend is going to be really good value, though. We will actually get a reasonable read on how some of the prospects are going, albeit against compromised opposition.

Last edited:
The thing with Kreuger is that as he was drafted as a KPF. As we all know a gun KPF is damn hard to find and are arguably just a bit more important than a KPD. We know Tom is near the end of his career and there doesn't appear to be the natural replacement in line to take his place - hence the recruitment of Cameron.

Supporters naturally want to see a potential forward more than a defender and as the fear of what we'll be left with once Tom retires sets in, they are anxious to see anyone who may be the future, regardless of whether they earned their place or not.

The thing with Kreuger is that as he was drafted as a KPF. As we all know a gun KPF is damn hard to find and are arguably just a bit more important than a KPD. We know Tom is near the end of his career and there doesn't appear to be the natural replacement in line to take his place - hence the recruitment of Cameron.

Supporters naturally want to see a potential forward more than a defender and as the fear of what we'll be left with once Tom retires sets in, they are anxious to see anyone who may be the future, regardless of whether they earned their place or not.
I'm more nervous about how we figure things out post Harry Taylor. Seems a little more time sensitive

I'm more nervous about how we figure things out post Harry Taylor. Seems a little more time sensitive
And potentially post Henderson if he doesn't continue beyond this year

Not to mention post Blicavs, should our ruck situation end up with him spending more time there than in defence

I agree. Not sure SDK is being locked in for defensive role either. In fact, I'm not sure they know where his best position will be.

Just trying to explain the demand to see Kreuger.

I agree. Not sure SDK is being locked in for defensive role either. In fact, I'm not sure they know where his best position will be.

Just trying to explain the demand to see Kreuger.
I'd like to see Kreuger, but I'd specifically like to see him in the bests after a role in the backline

I'd like to see Kreuger, but I'd specifically like to see him in the bests after a role in the backline
And I'd like to see it on a repeated basis not just the odd match here & there with nothing mentioned about him between those times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SDK is a ruck, 100%.
Is being groomed as a ruck, is playing as a ruck. Is a ruck.
We have zero key defenders under 30 years old and are grooming 2 other teenagers for ruck roles so I'd be surprised if that's the long term.

I think it's development more than anything, but if he's good at it then later this year he might be able to rotate between there and chb with Blitz. Don't need a 2nd ruck as a 3rd tall clogging the forward line, don't need to keep Stanley on the park if he's underperforming. If he's not a key back in 2023 we won't have any I don't think

We have zero key defenders under 30 years old and are grooming 2 other teenagers for ruck roles so I'd be surprised if that's the long term.

I think it's development more than anything, but if he's good at it then later this year he might be able to rotate between there and chb with Blitz. Don't need a 2nd ruck as a 3rd tall clogging the forward line, don't need to keep Stanley on the park if he's underperforming. If he's not a key back in 2023 we won't have any I don't think

SDK is the most talented ruck we have on the list, he just needs time.
At the same time he also is absolutely not a defender and would get smashed down back.

At the same time he also is absolutely not a defender and would get smashed down back.
Didn't he play his whole juniors and pretty much all of last year as a defender?

If he's not going to be a kpd post-hendo and we don't find a decent trade in then you can set your watch to us getting smashed on the regular by taller forward lines in 2022

SDK is a ruck, 100%.
Utter rubbish. He was drafted as a defender, and Harry Taylor admitted one of the factors in his retirement was seeing SDK making it hard for him when he was playing as a forward against SDK in practice matches. Because he was severely outdone in height, reach and marking ability.

SDK has never played as a ruck except that one time last year when we had no other rucks to play, as they were injured. He’s not a ruck and never has been.

SDK is a ruck, 100%.

Does he actually play as a ruck though?

He was drafted as a defender and that's where he seems to have primarily been used

In the VFL this year he seems to be playing on the wing in a similar role to what we've seen Blicavs play over recent years - he may give a chop out in the ruck, but that's not his primary role

Fort is the guy holding down the fort (sorry) as our main ruck in the VFL, and with Ratugolea returning from his leg injury he may be one who starts spending more time in there also

I get that SDK is 200cm tall, but surely it's doubtful he's actually a long term ruck option in the seniors when he doesn't even seen to be consider as a key ruck option in the VFL

Does he actually play as a ruck though?

He was drafted as a defender and that's where he seems to have primarily been used

In the VFL this year he seems to be playing on the wing in a similar role to what we've seen Blicavs play over recent years - he may give a chop out in the ruck, but that's not his primary role

Fort is the guy holding down the fort (sorry) as our main ruck in the VFL, and with Ratugolea returning from his leg injury he may be one who starts spending more time in there also

I get that SDK is 200cm tall, but surely it's doubtful he's actually a long term ruck option in the seniors when he doesn't even seen to be consider as a key ruck option in the VFL
I also reckon there's a bit of a case of Neale going back there for the classic KPF development work and as such they need to put sdk somewhere else. Sticking him on the wing a bit should help him be a bit better in traffic than the average giraffe

Putting a line through those over 30 or yet to debut it gets a bit dire for 2023

There's got to be a crunch sooner or later when a club focuses on older players for a period of time......it creates a playing group that will suffer a more pronounced downturn as the consequence of Father Time and rolling retirements outpace the development of a reduced list of youth.

There's got to be a crunch sooner or later when a club focuses on older players for a period of time......it creates a playing group that will suffer a more pronounced downturn as the consequence of Father Time and rolling retirements outpace the development of a reduced list of youth.
I think we can maintain a structure of older players to bring kids in with but we need for 2023 at a minimum a decent kpd, which would be my first priority, probably one decent attacking mid, and a ruck.

I think we can maintain a structure of older players to bring kids in with but we need for 2023 at a minimum a decent kpd, which would be my first priority, probably one decent attacking mid, and a ruck.

There's a place for some older players, but I'm of the belief that the pendulum has swung a little too far that way, and we need to restore some of the lost focus on youth.

I understand the club thought it had a window that could be leveraged with experienced players, but it hasn't worked, and I think they should now turn to preferring some youth as the window is now all but shut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back