Preview Round 6 2021: Hawks v Crows, UTAS, Sunday 25th April @ 12:30pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There isn't really much of a comparison between the two, especially given one has played three times as many games as the other.

Cousins should be playing over Howe.

Correct, there is no comparison. They are different players who are not competing for the same position. Mid does not equal mid.

howe is playing instead of Finn and downie. Cousins is behind the inside mids (jaeger, Mitch, shiels, worpel) and the small mid fwds (chad, Moore, hanrahan sort of).

I want him to play but he has never ever played on a wing. Howe will keep getting a game on the wing until the winger at box hill goes past him.

Correct, there is no comparison. They are different players who are not competing for the same position. Mid does not equal mid.

howe is playing instead of Finn and downie. Cousins is behind the inside mids (jaeger, Mitch, shiels, worpel) and the small mid fwds (chad, Moore, hanrahan sort of).

I want him to play but he has never ever played on a wing. Howe will keep getting a game on the wing until the winger at box hill goes past him.
He would play wing a lot better then howe. Howe literally just stands there and gets caught or turns it over. He offers nothing positive to this team.

Howe has never played on the wing until this season.

This is an entirely new role created for him. It's likely the only role for such a player in the league given teams don't generally play slow (in terms of both pace and decision making) and average skilled wingmen.

Who is to say that Cousins couldn't also be given a run at this position? It's not as if the slow tagging big-bodied midfielder in Howe had shown anything previously to suggest he's a wingman.

This is an entirely new role created for him. It's likely the only role for such a player in the league given teams don't generally play slow (in terms of both pace and decision making) and average skilled wingmen.

Who is to say that Cousins couldn't also be given a run at this position? It's not as if the slow tagging big-bodied midfielder in Howe had shown anything previously to suggest he's a wingman.
Nah mate clarko is perfect, play the slowest worst decision maker over a bloke that showed more in 6 games last year then the deer in the headlights has in his career. I’d bet my house that cousins would be more effective on the wing then Howe.

He would play wing a lot better then howe. Howe literally just stands there and gets caught or turns it over. He offers nothing positive to this team.

id suggest if the coaches thought that, he’d get a run there at box hill first, prove he can do it better than Howe, and get a go from there.

maybe we are just short of player who can play howes role. At least while he plays, we have one bloke who has a crack 100% of the time. If we had 22 blokes that go in as hard as Dan Howe, we’d be doing better than we are.

Why hate on Howe - he is what he is, he’s not best 22 in a good team, but he tries his guts out and is as hard as a cats head. Downie needs to win his spot and I think that can only be a good thing.

If Cousins and Howe were line up against the wall, and had to choose between them take Cousins in a heartbeat. Baffles me Howe is getting a game ahead of him, people saying Cousins is similar to our main Midfielders, don’t see it, he is a better kick and is quicker than them and can kick a goal. Howe is more similar to our midfielders he just a bit taller and bigger so what

Nah mate clarko is perfect, play the slowest worst decision maker over a bloke that showed more in 6 games last year then the deer in the headlights has in his career. I’d bet my house that cousins would be more effective on the wing then Howe.

So just to confirm, you don’t like Howe, right?

If Cousins and Howe were line up against the wall, and had to choose between them take Cousins in a heartbeat. Baffles me Howe is getting a game ahead of him, people saying Cousins is similar to our main Midfielders, don’t see it, he is a better kick and is quicker than them and can kick a goal
Cousins was hitting targets at full pace last year inside 50. He would be our best kick in the midfield, also the quickest and like you said he can find the goals pretty often. Averages about a shot on a game in his last 17 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Cousins and Howe were line up against the wall, and had to choose between them take Cousins in a heartbeat. Baffles me Howe is getting a game ahead of him, people saying Cousins is similar to our main Midfielders, don’t see it, he is a better kick and is quicker than them and can kick a goal
Picking your “best 22” hasn’t been relevant since the 70s. We play best player for that position and role. Sometimes that means a better midfielder misses for a lesser wingman / forward / defender.

Like many, I’d love to see a young gun with a higher ceiling earn that position from Howe and maybe that will happen sooner rather than later. But they’ve worked that position with Howe all off season they’re not gonna suddenly rework everything Cousins has been working on as an inside mid, 5 rounds in. If anything, I’d say the club is hoping Downie can take that spot.

I went down to Launnie 6 or 7 times to watch the Hawks between ‘08 and ‘16. KFC would have been the very last place I would have gone to eat in the entire town...
I went down once. Backwards bunch down there. 3 registers at maccas all open and they all line up at the first one. I waltz up to one of the others to the look of absolute disgust from the locals, and a cop in line berating me for being rude for not waiting...

Picking your “best 22” hasn’t been relevant since the 70s. We play best player for that position and role. Sometimes that means a better midfielder misses for a lesser wingman / forward / defender.

Like many, I’d love to see a young gun with a higher ceiling earn that position from Howe and maybe that will happen sooner rather than later. But they’ve worked that position with Howe all off season they’re not gonna suddenly rework everything Cousins has been working on as an inside mid, 5 rounds in. If anything, I’d say the club is hoping Downie can take that spot.

Yeah I expect that Downie will take the spot, hopefully over the next month or so.

To have Howe there in the first place is completely baffling. The role takes away from his strength and accentuates all of his weaknesses.

Baffling clarko has chosen Howe to be our winger LOL. Out of finn downie bramble or cousins he chooses the slowest, worst decision maker with bad skills.

Finn had 6 possessions for box hill on the weekend. Downie had 9.

hardly beating the door down.
Finn played a lock down role and did an amazing job. Both he and downie would instantly offer more then Howe the deer with horrible skills.

Since 2019:

Cousins - 16 shots for 9.7, in his last 18 games
Averaged:
- 18.67 touches
- 3.94 marks
- 2.72 tackles

Howe - 9 shots for 4.5, in his last 22 games
Averaged:
- 15.22 touches
- 4.72 marks
- 2.36 tackles

That's games 8 to 25 for Cousins and games 51 to 72 for Howe.

More shots, more goals, more touches, more tackles and less games.
Don't worry, couple of blokes getting upset bcos Dan Howe got called "stupid"

Your right, Dan has never played well enough in any one position to lock it down. The highlight of his career was tagging Dusty, Sloane and a few others one year. That's his go, just following another bloke around and niggling and putting his big melon over the ball.

Don't worry, couple of blokes getting upset bcos Dan Howe got called "stupid"

Your right, Dan has never played well enough in any one position to lock it down. The highlight of his career was tagging Dusty, Sloane and a few others one year. That's his go, just following another bloke around and niggling and putting his big melon over the ball.

He's done a reasonable job in the past with tagging. Which makes Clarko's decision to use Burgoyne to tag Dusty earlier in the season even more confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back