Review Round 5, 2021: Box Hill v North Melbourne, Sunday 16th May @ 12:05pm, BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

Got to remember it was very poor oppo, but good to see some kids play well.

Not sure you can ask much more of Reeves and Jeka.

Howe continues to show his qualities.

Morris gave us a reminder of what he can do, just needs to keep doing it.

Saunders is exciting. Very raw, but exciting

Not 100% sure any of those players started their development as a tagger

There have been a handful of good players who currently, or recently started their football by playing occasional run with roles. GWS utilised Coniglio as a tagger, Carlton with Ed Curnow, Western Bulldogs with Picken, St Kilda with Steele.

Nash on a wing is diabolical.

We got what we wanted in that Nash was played on the wing and HB, away from the difficult high HF position. Unfortunately that has made it very clear that he won't make it. I hate saying that about players and of course I hope I'm wrong.

Got to remember it was very poor oppo, but good to see some kids play well.

Not sure you can ask much more of Reeves and Jeka.

His first quarter was fantastic. Marked inside 50 and around the ground, dominant taps, few deft handballs around the ground. In a development year I am not sure what else he needs to do at Box Hill to get a call up?

His first quarter was fantastic. Marked inside 50 and around the ground, dominant taps, few deft handballs around the ground. In a development year I am not sure what else he needs to do at Box Hill to get a call up?
I think Big Boy just needs a rest. Maybe they want to just get him through to the bye.

Tbh about Reeves, body language tells me
80% Good overhaul
10% Raw
10% Fear
Another preseason he'll be ready to go

Reeves and Morris the standouts of the HFC listed players.

Players like Ceglar and Howe should be dominating these types of scrubs, which they did, and you'd expect a Nash and Brooksby to do the same although only the latter did.

VFL is Howe's level. Keep him there and use his EXPERIENCE to good use there.

Jeka was encouraging leading up the 50m as the deep forward or leading up to the 80m as the CHF, things we don't see under a Clarkson coached team. Keep Jeka in the VFL.

There have been a handful of good players who currently, or recently started their football by playing occasional run with roles. GWS utilised Coniglio as a tagger, Carlton with Ed Curnow, Western Bulldogs with Picken, St Kilda with Steele.
Coniglio didn't start his career as as a negating mid
Curnow was an attacking mid for Box Hill
Picken was a defender
Steele not sure but don't think he was tagging a first year player in the reserves.

I just think it was a good opportunity for Finn to go head to head in the midfield and improve his attacking attributes as this is something we lack at hawthorn (attacking goal scoring mids).

Picken was a defender
Steele not sure but don't think he was tagging a first year player in the reserves.

I just think it was a good opportunity for Finn to go head to head in the midfield and improve his attacking attributes as this is something we lack at hawthorn (attacking goal scoring mids).
All those players actually are able to get the ball. Of the times i have seen finn he struggles to find the ball. Its a work in progress

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picken was a defender

Excuse me, they all played as defensive mids before developing an attacking game. Don't just say "oh they didn't" without providing evidence.

I don't give a s**t what Curnow did at Box Hill, he was a tagger at Carlton. "Blues' Ed Curnow emerges as AFLs #2 tagger" - The Age, 2014.

"Western Bulldogs tagger Liam Picken: A pest to match the best?" - The Age, 2014

"Nerves of Steele: The toughest tagger in footy" - St Kilda Website, 2019

All those players actually are able to get the ball. Of the times i have seen finn he struggles to find the ball. Its a work in progress

I only saw highlights of him as a junior. He didn't seem to be much chop until his final year when he showed a lot. From memory he played in the same team as two other star mids. Did he just follow them around and feed off them? I guess my question is, was there evidence that he could play in the middle at junior level? Because if there is, why does he now appear like he can't play football??

I only saw highlights of him as a junior. He didn't seem to be much chop until his final year when he showed a lot. From memory he played in the same team as two other star mids. Did he just follow them around and feed off them? I guess my question is, was there evidence that he could play in the middle at junior level? Because if there is, why does he now appear like he can't play football??
Ok he can play football obviously but is struggling to play the way we want him to. Get the ball, run to where he can get the ball from his team mates etc. I am not counting him out yet because some kids take longer than others but he is a work in progress currently

Ok he can play football obviously but is struggling to play the way we want him to. Get the ball, run to where he can get the ball from his team mates etc. I am not counting him out yet because some kids take longer than others but he is a work in progress currently

He looked to me like a guy who was over thinking his footy. Rather than instinctively moving around, he seemed to be placing himself somewhere, or in many cases following an opponent (but in doing the latter he also often lost touch while he was watching the ball). Looking forward to seeing him develop, he's got good football traits. Posters are often shot down for mentioning Josh Kennedy, but Finn does remind me of how he played when he first arrived. He developed fine.

He looked to me like a guy who was over thinking his footy. Rather than instinctively moving around, he seemed to be placing himself somewhere, or in many cases following an opponent (but in doing the latter he also often lost touch while he was watching the ball). Looking forward to seeing him develop, he's got good football traits. Posters are often shot down for mentioning Josh Kennedy, but Finn does remind me of how he played when he first arrived. He developed fine.
k so JK3 was a ball magnet he would get plenty of it at box hill. He was just behind some of the all time greats of the club.

Hey littegg how my man Saunders go?

Come on, you're the man remember, tell everyone how he went, since i was unable to watch any this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back