News Club to launch external review of football department!

Remove this Banner Ad

The team should have been 6:6 if not better - instead, it has struggled to beat teams like Hawthorn - with the only 'saving grace' being no blowout losses. True injuries have played their part - no reason why Teague can't get 7 wins out of the next 10 games.

Also, I am not a believer in assistant coaches making the head coach better - it should work the other way around eg if we are expecting some brains trust moments from a noobie in Stanton as midfield transition coach to enlighten Teague - there will be no improvement.

I put it at the start of the year that our between the arc weakness will be wing(s) - and it has been a consistent blight - all year. Teague has put blokes like Setterfield and Kennedy on a wing who can't run or blokes like Cottrell on a wing who can run and cant do anything else.

Meanwhile, blokes like SPS or Fisher who have some skill have been played as a defender or a small forward or in Lob's case two consecutive errors in one game have seen him dumped as some sort of scapegoat or Dow being played as a HFF - a bloke that can run is a horrible field kick and a natural on baller...Stocker had to 'force his way in to a back pocket position playing as a back pocket in VFL - when he was drafted as a gun on-baller who can kick of both sides and is a natural contested player - and his entree into the side has been to take on the games best small forwards week after week - leaving Saad and Williams to do what exactly? Meanwhile Docherty has been pushed forward to a wing - because his form as a defender and Captain was abysmal.

Teague's selection policies have been an absolute joke and he has compromised positional integrity to manufacture weird matchups and mismatches between skill and execution requirements that weren't required. A lot of favoritism/bias/nonsense on display week in week out to keep this impossible rational going week in week out- with same results.

I think Teague is on a massive learning curve - and supporters are going to have to ride the journey with him - because replacing Teague and Llyod and all the assistants is pretty much an unpalatable indictment on LaGoduce and Liddle - the architects of the current state of affairs.

This week (at least) he has improved team selection by including a genuine defender in Parks in, suggesting that Walsh goes back to a wing, and including Kennedy in the forward on ball rotations - whilst also suggesting Dow gets a go at playing on-ball - where he was drafted to play.

Inexplicable treatment of SPS a natural attacking mid/forward or Lob a natural wingman - being ignored.

I'm hopeful but not confident - hopeful Teague can get the side playing with some sort of joy and sustainable vigour instead of a collection of individuals - which will be good enough to win quite a few games - if he cant do that - he has written his own story. Hopefully the Club is considering Plan B.

It is difficult to change things up in-season, but not surprised he wants to back in his methodology. Interesting times...

Teague said his game plan will remain but hoped different training methods will help make execution easier on game day.

“Our system won’t change a great deal, our ability to execute the system, that has probably been our breakdown. We haven’t defended the way we want to defend,” he said.

So the looming shadow of the review didn't lead to Barker jumping ship mid year?
I know he reportedly said he would see out the year and was told 'thanks, but no thanks', but the timing of that was a little obvious.
While it's clearly not a result of any findings from the as yet unstarted review, it's hard to argue that it wasn't 'due to the review'.
Barker is the scapegoat. He will be blamed for all of the wrongs going back to 2012. No doubt Liddle will enjoy taking a pot shot or 3 at SOS.
How can it be an independent review if Sayers & Liddle are sitting on the committee? Pavlich on the committee as well?? How many flags have Freo won?
Their culture has been brought into question on a number of occasions. Why not bring in Wayne Carey to consult on the values of the club?? Joke..

Barker is the scapegoat. He will be blamed for all of the wrongs going back to 2012. No doubt Liddle will enjoy taking a pot shot or 3 at SOS.
How can it be an independent review if Sayers & Liddle are sitting on the committee? Pavlich on the committee as well?? How many flags have Freo won?
Their culture has been brought into question on a number of occasions. Why not bring in Wayne Carey to consult on the values of the club?? Joke..

Carey, values?

Come on Moody.

Seriously!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the looming shadow of the review didn't lead to Barker jumping ship mid year?
I know he reportedly said he would see out the year and was told 'thanks, but no thanks', but the timing of that was a little obvious.
While it's clearly not a result of any findings from the as yet unstarted review, it's hard to argue that it wasn't 'due to the review'.
The shadows of half-time are brutal.

Their culture has been brought into question on a number of occasions. Why not bring by no in Wayne Carey to consult on the values of the club?? Joke..

I concur I’ve stated before my disillusionment with our panel choices. It’s a boys club review.

Carey would be a better choice than Walsh who was head of Footy at the Pies during a time when racism was tolerated.

Let’s get Richo to review our kicking in front of goal while we are at it!

I concur I’ve stated before my disillusionment with our panel choices. It’s a boys club review.

Carey would be a better choice than Walsh who was head of Footy at the Pies during a time when racism was tolerated.

Let’s get Richo to review our kicking in front of goal while we are at it!
Carey? Wayne Carey?

Are Liddle and Sayers on the committee? I haven't actually seen that said anywhere. It's a 3 man panel, initiated by Sayers, with the support of Liddle. That's my understanding. That doesn't mean involvement by either of them.
Basing Pav's credentials on how many flags he's won is enough to tell me I don't need to bother addressing the rest and it was obvious you were being facetious about Carey.

Are Liddle and Sayers on the committee? I haven't actually seen that said anywhere. It's a 3 man panel, initiated by Sayers, with the support of Liddle. That's my understanding. That doesn't mean involvement by either of them.
Basing Pav's credentials on how many flags he's won is enough to tell me I don't need to bother addressing the rest and it was obvious you were being facetious about Carey.

1 week ago ...

I am pleased to advise you that the following three panel members will conduct a holistic review of the entire football department.

This panel will be led by incoming President Luke Sayers with the support of CEO Cain Liddle, and the final report with its recommendations will be delivered to the Carlton Football Club Board.

The three-member panel will be:

- Graham Lowe
- Geoff Walsh
- Matthew Pavlich

Remove this Banner Ad

Back