News Club to launch external review of football department!

Remove this Banner Ad

1 week ago ...

Thanks. I saw that at the time. It's a bit vague in terms of how involved they will be and could be interpreted a couple of ways.
I took 'led by' just to mean that he initiated the review. And 'with the support of' just to mean that Liddle agreed to/agrees with the review and will allow whatever access/resources are needed to complete it.
It also makes it fairly clear that it's a 3 man panel and who those people are. I would have thought if Sayers and Liddle were actually involved in the review, it would have been referred to as a 5 man panel.

That has been the problem for the past 20+ years. Closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. This so called review is only for show. They have their scapegoat in Barker. Rearrange the deckchairs, make the odd adjustment and move on.
Not sure on previous reviews but I hope this one is a genuine review and we follow up with the necessary changes.

Not sure on previous reviews but I hope this one is a genuine review and we follow up with the necessary changes.
I am a little sceptical as to how genuine this process will be. I do wonder if someone at the club is just trying to follow Richmond 2016 and boot a number of assistants thinking this will propel us to 3 premierships in 4 years.

I am a little sceptical as to how genuine this process will be. I do wonder if someone at the club is just trying to follow Richmond 2016 and boot a number of assistants thinking this will propel us to 3 premierships in 4 years.
Hard not to be sceptical. Barker stepping down so soon after review being announced was strange. All we can do is wait and see what transpires.

Interesting to hear Teague reaffirming his faith in the personnel around him, the on-field defensive tactics and systems in place.

He said the problem is not the personnel and systems, but rather the players' inability to execute the systems/tactics, and the way to resolve that is to continually educate/train the players until they can. (Always 100% the players fault. It would be refreshing to hear a coach say, "the players could have played better and my coaching was a bit substandard, too.")

It sounds as though Teague intends to persevere with this approach indefinitely (no time frame given). And, it certainly doesn't sound like there is a Plan B.

If, over the next few weeks, the players are just not up to executing Teague's game plan, for whatever reason, I'd like to think he could admit he may have been wrong and adjust it to suit the players he has.

I hope he turns it around for us and proves all his doubters wrong. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't have unlimited time up his sleeve to do that.

I concur I’ve stated before my disillusionment with our panel choices. It’s a boys club review.

Carey would be a better choice than Walsh who was head of Footy at the Pies during a time when racism was tolerated.

Let’s get Richo to review our kicking in front of goal while we are at it!
Walsh has been at clubs for 4 premierships (including at least one of ours) & 10 Grand Finals. I think he might know a thing or 2 about what clubs need to do to be successful.

Interesting to hear Teague reaffirming his faith in the personnel around him, the on-field defensive tactics and systems in place.

He said the problem is not the personnel and systems, but rather the players' inability to execute the systems/tactics, and the way to resolve that is to continually educate/train the players until they can. (Always 100% the players fault. It would be refreshing to hear a coach say, "the players could have played better and my coaching was a bit substandard, too.")

It sounds as though Teague intends to persevere with this approach indefinitely (no time frame given). And, it certainly doesn't sound like there is a Plan B.

If, over the next few weeks, the players are just not up to executing Teague's game plan, for whatever reason, I'd like to think he could admit he may have been wrong and adjust it to suit the players he has.

I hope he turns it around for us and proves all his doubters wrong. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't have unlimited time up his sleeve to do that.
8 different coaches since our last premiership, but it can never be the players' fault that we can't consistently win games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah, so it was the list management team who decided we should re-sign Harry and Cripps. Maybe things aren't so bad after all.
Those contract negotiations take months, you think they just hammer it out in half an arvo after the review was announced? Wut?
How can it be an independent review if Sayers & Liddle are sitting on the
Liddle isn't on the ******* panel. It's been confirmed here multiple times. I think even Barass confirmed it. Jfc. Getting sick of reading s**t doom and gloom about the review. It hasn't even happened yet. I think Sayers of all people knows how to set up an independent review. Jeeeeeeebuz

Interesting to hear Teague reaffirming his faith in the personnel around him
Would be club instruction, can't have any doubt anywhere. Everyone still has to function as if their jobs are safe and they have support during the review or parts of the club will just start failing. Can't have an assistant coach knowing he's gone when the reviews done and is just hanging about getting in the way in the mean time. Or distracted elsewhere.

Liddle isn't on the ******* panel. It's been confirmed here multiple times. I think even Barass confirmed it. Jfc. Getting sick of reading sh*t doom and gloom about the review. It hasn't even happened yet. I think Sayers of all people knows how to set up an independent review. Jeeeeeeebuz
Pretty sure he did fwiw

shifting/deflecting blame isn’t a good quality...personnel need to accept responsibility for their inadequacies as teachers...Teague’s continuous immature language is a real concern.

shifting/deflecting blame isn’t a good quality...personnel need to accept responsibility for their inadequacies as teachers...Teague’s continuous immature language is a real concern.

"Teague said his game plan will remain but hoped different training methods will help make execution easier on game day."

Agree. I found the tone of his answers rather weird in the circumstances. Don't know whether that was his real opinion about the current situation and the review, or what he believes he should say, but strange. No real mention of any serious plans to change things up, sounded like he thinks he/the coaching team are still on the right track. Certainly didn't take the opportunity to draw a line in the sand or express any strong messages.

Will be seriously interesting to see how it goes tomorrow and the 9 weeks after that. Surely he has to know that heads are on the chopping block unless he can turn the ship around. I reckon he needs 6 more wins at least to save himself and a few of his coaching mates for next season. It starts tomorrow night. From the head coach down to the medical sub, looking for every last man to be desperate for a win.

Agree. I found the tone of his answers rather weird in the circumstances. Don't know whether that was his real opinion about the current situation and the review, or what he believes he should say, but strange. No real mention of any serious plans to change things up, sounded like he thinks he/the coaching team are still on the right track. Certainly didn't take the opportunity to draw a line in the sand or express any strong messages.

Will be seriously interesting to see how it goes tomorrow and the 9 weeks after that. Surely he has to know that heads are on the chopping block unless he can turn the ship around. I reckon he needs 6 more wins at least to save himself and a few of his coaching mates for next season. It starts tomorrow night. From the head coach down to the medical sub, looking for every last man to be desperate for a win.

There are not many higher pressure jobs than those of head coaches of high profile sporting teams. Weight of expectation from boards, members etc is enormous. Teague feels it, and in fact his robotic features are even beginning to show it - a little bit.
Contrary to popular opinion, he is human. I doubt he is going to be saying anything too radical in public unless it has already been discussed with the powers that be behind close doors.

His answers are not that weird. Currently he is caught between a rock and a hard place. Does he risk changing to plan c, d or e at the halfway point and totally confusing the already dazzled players?

Or does he stick with what he and they 'know' (apparently some don't) with some minor adjustment and hopefully bowl over some of the winnable teams coming up?

If minor adjustments don't work in the next 5 to 6 matches, and/or he doesn't genuinely have the playing group then his big neck will be well and truly on the chopping block, coinciding most likely with the completion of the review.
IMO only a 90% win rate in the next few games can save him from being shown the Bolton back door.

If minor adjustments don't work in the next 5 to 6 matches, and/or he doesn't genuinely have the playing group then his big neck will be well and truly on the chopping block, coinciding most likely with the completion of the review.
IMO only a 90% win rate in the next few games can save him from being shown the Bolton back door.

I'd be shocked if we won 90% of the next few games, the sad thing is Adelaide should be easy street for us, but that could easily go 50/50 and hopefully Fremantle is a repeat of last time and who knows with GWS.

Thing is though, he's had all year to make those adjustments but for some reason he's chosen not to, players being played out of position, over and over again. Too slow to react to changes, changes done but far too late etc etc.

Setterfield on a wing (lol??) Ed Curnow in the backline not hard tag on Shuey or Gaff etc etc.

I don't see how being more experienced can fix those things, should be EASY fixes if you're a coach on the rise.

Selection integrity is horrible, Murphy finally starting to get dropped etc etc.

Seems to be content with shoot out football, hasn't worked for the previous 10 games but lets keep trying. :$

But we'll see, I just hope we get it right.

There are not many higher pressure jobs than those of head coaches of high profile sporting teams. Weight of expectation from boards, members etc is enormous. Teague feels it, and in fact his robotic features are even beginning to show it - a little bit.
Contrary to popular opinion, he is human. I doubt he is going to be saying anything too radical in public unless it has already been discussed with the powers that be behind close doors.

His answers are not that weird. Currently he is caught between a rock and a hard place. Does he risk changing to plan c, d or e at the halfway point and totally confusing the already dazzled players?

Or does he stick with what he and they 'know' (apparently some don't) with some minor adjustment and hopefully bowl over some of the winnable teams coming up?

It might be an unpopular belief, but I think game plans are a but overrated the way people speak about them.
Footballs fairly simple really, either zone up or go man on man in defence. When you have the ball use the best option and Play on quickly, protect your teammates, do the 1%s, run both ways and create space for forwards to lead into.

I think our main mistakes are team selection integrity and not playing players in the right positions. One of the footy podcasts suggested this week that perhaps the players have to much power atm, which affects team selection etc. Hope that is not the case. Also think we didn't recruit enough players with high footy IQ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back