Autopsy Round 17, 2021: Hawks lose to Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus that was bad, I know we had players out but did anyone in their right mind have us losing to Freo at home by 10 goals ?

Bramble did well, nice to see Jeka hit the scoreboard, Kozzie tried hard and I thought Jiath was reasonable before the injury.

The performance was joke, no dare to take the game on, non competitive midfield, basic skill errors all over and Fremantle just toyed with us.

Sam Mitchell will has his work cut out for him to drag us out of this mess.

Disappointing day, but Hawks fans may enjoy seeing another hanger from Paul Puopolo today.

Facebook

Some deeply concerning times for the AFL. The rule changes at the start of the season proved to be a false dawn regarding scoring. Richmond kick 2 goals last week, Adelaide ditto last night and Carlton going into three quarter time with a solitary goal to their name against Geelong. Does not bode well for the product in general.
Because it's all about defence, that's why the aflw has such low scores Because any idiot can defend it takes no skill just application.
It's how the game is coached.

Stubborn because he doesn’t read Bigfooty and follow the advice from here?

No stubborn because he will continually play someone in a position every man and his dog knows they are incapable of doing time and time again and seems to take him forever to get out of that mindset that it ain't going to happen.

He's done that many times before with players in the past. Shoey was a great example with his insistance of trying to turn him into a defender when everyone else could see plain as day it just wasn't his position. He finally relents and plays him forward and no surprises he played some of his best footy of his entire career.

Like I said I'm not fan of Nash but it's pretty damn obvious he's not suited to be a forward and will not make it if he is continually played there. It's what baffled me last week that he comes in based off good form at Box Hill in the midfield, then Clarko plays him in the same old proven he's no good forward position. He again did it today but at least this time he finally relented and played him there in the last but by that time the ship had well and truly sailed and while he showed good signs what can you prove in just one qtr?

Honestly I have no doubt that had Mitchell been in charge we might actually start to have somewhat of an idea if Nash can make it in this new role. But right now it's as clear as mud.

Missed the game, how many defenders do we have left?

main-qimg-aaa233689df54507967b8e64a3fe4f95

Watched JOM walk off from the bench at half time from close range. Clearly favouring one leg. Looked sore.
Noticed he spent time fwd in the 2nd half. Maybe reasons behind is current poor form.

Been to most games in Launceston. Clearly the worse team fielded and matched in performance in that time. Even in 2004-05, we always beat Freo. This was over 15 min in.

Really get fed up with the Nash bashers, he wears the brown and gold and plays his heart out each week. The vitriol aimed towards an Irishman still learning the game is sad, pathetic and just plain lazy. The common criticism is his lack of possessions. Today he got 16 - huge increase from his usual output and showed more in the midfield in one quarter then Worpel and JOM did the whole game. I don’t know if he will make it or not but I’m sure as hell not going to roast him each week as some posters do

We have played poorly in last two weeks but rather than pointing the finger at an Irishman, how about we direct the spotlight to senior players who have played the game their whole life...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No stubborn because he will continually play someone in a position every man and his dog knows they are incapable of doing time and time again and seems to take him forever to get out of that mindset that it ain't going to happen.

He's done that many times before with players in the past. Shoey was a great example with his insistance of trying to turn him into a defender when everyone else could see plain as day it just wasn't his position. He finally relents and plays him forward and no surprises he played some of his best footy of his entire career.

Like I said I'm not fan of Nash but it's pretty damn obvious he's not suited to be a forward and will not make it if he is continually played there. It's what baffled me last week that he comes in based off good form at Box Hill in the midfield, then Clarko plays him in the same old proven he's no good forward position. He again did it today but at least this time he finally relented and played him there in the last but by that time the ship had well and truly sailed and while he showed good signs what can you prove in just one qtr?

Honestly I have no doubt that had Mitchell been in charge we might actually start to have somewhat of an idea if Nash can make it in this new role. But right now it's as clear as mud.
Schoe was played in defence because we had one of the greatest forward lines ever assembled and a questionable defence. He got a crack up forward only when Bud was gone and Rough missed stretches with injury.

Like every decision, there are reasons for why we do things that aren’t immediately obvious to the average big footy poster.

Last edited:
Jeez we're soft in the middle.
Darcy is a great ruck, and is going to be for a long time, but he looks significantly better when we wheel out two old, thin rucks against him.
Our midfield is weak, but it's down right C-grade when we can't get the first look at the pill. Someone pointed out earlier that Mitchell gets a lot of it, but sometimes causes us to over posses and I think our midfield mentality around him is detrimental.
Nash had the best one quarter midfield showing of any of our mids. This isn't a knock on Nash, but jeez that says a serious amount about the rest of our midfielders.

A lot of positives to take from the first half of the game and parts of the third, though:

Brocky came in and looks like he belongs. Shouldn't leave the side and should be empowered to do more on field.

Jeka showed some of the talents he's known for in the VFL: field kicking/positioning was incredibly solid and was influential around goals.

Kozie is our forward going forward, and we need to secure someone to fight with him long term. Jeka looks in the best spot, but will see how Lewis goes once he's back up to speed.

Bramble was very good for us again, easily our best on for mine.

Scrimshaw looked great, as did Cj before their respective injuries. Am hoping both can come back before the end of the year, but don't risk them- our D50 is going to be immense next year.

DGB got through uninjured!

Well...I endured that game with a bottle of wine in the late afternoon on a hot day...now I just have a headache. Hahaha!

Suffered through the Fox coverage. Unlike others, I had no problem with Gerard Healy’s commentary. Nick Dal Santo, however, was annoying as all hell: constant yabber yabber yabber.

Please help me out here.

Can you please list all the players in the past that have been played out of position by Clarko?

I'm sorry but if our midfield is too improve, Mitchell has to go. All our play runs through him because he always demands the ball, but in terrible positions and distributes poorly a chunk of the time.

Just compare our loss with Mitch and Bombers loss with Parish to Geelong, in raw stats.

Both had similar disposals (Mitchell 39 to Parish 43) but metres gained is 400 to 900. For the first 14 disposals of Mitchell, he had 50 metres gained. It's just not who we want to run out forays through, and is stunting others who could be developing in the guts like Worps, who keeps getting pushed into the forward line.

It's time to jettison this midfield. It has been tested and found wanting. Time to mix it up as we literally have nothing to lose at this point.

Loved Bramble's game - just seems so composed for a player of so few games, always looks to hit up a clean pass and has a bullet, low kick on him. He is building very nicely.

CJ was keeping us alive until subbed. Moore had a great first half but faded unfortunately. Worps did some nice things but is getting pushed into the forward line too much. Brockman is class. Kosi and Jeka notch 2 each which will continue to build their confidence.

We need to make the midfield accountable and time to make some actual big plays i.e. drop 2 of JOM, Mitch, Shiels or Worps. Don't care, just make some changes.

Bring Reeves in too for Cegs. The amount of times I counted Cegs tapping it straight to a Freo mid did my head in. I honestly believe Cegs to Serong was the best Freo link up play for the game.
Bramble good, but needs to work on his left foot over the summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back