Autopsy Round 17, 2021: Hawks lose to Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

No run. No overlap run, no presenting to the player with the ball anywhere on the ground. Our style of play reminded me of the way football was played in the 1960’s. There were even times today when the player who had taken a mark in the backline turned his back on play before kicking the ball up the line to a contest. AND I doubt there has been a team in the history of the game that concedes as much ground by kicking backwards as much as we do.

The game was boring enough without compounding it with commentators like Healy who could cure insomnia. Finally I have to contend with the Big Footy pessimists regurgitating the usual bile about the usual scapegoats.

I think I deserve a glass of red. Onwards and upwards.

Foolishly I didn't mute the game, cannot stand that campaigner

FMD clarko do something about it.

He's just handed the Ferrari Datsun 120Y keys to Sammy

tenor.gif

One thing that’s been bothering me every game is how we won’t take the 20-25 metre kick into the middle of the ground when we have the spare man there.

Normally it’s coming out of defensive 50. We take that kick and the whole field opens up. Plus it also forces teams to defend those players opening up space everywhere else on the ground.

Today though I noticed it a lot with one of our guys free 60 metres out from our goal with no one near them. I know it was worps on a couple of occasions. But we just didn’t take that kick instead dumped it long to the freo outnumber.

I hope our coaches focus on it because it is doing my head in. We need to go back to basics and always take the option that is free when going forward.

One thing you can never criticize Clarko on is his loyalty.

Today, when there was no need to play conservative to garner an honorable loss that he can take the board and say we're not that far off with, he still remained fiercely loyal to playing along the boundaries, using the sloth-like switches of play via the D50, over handballing to stationary targets through the midfield and bombing the ball to nooneinparticular.

He's loyal like a captain on a sinking ship. He'll go down with it no matter what happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bramble was excellent. I thought the main issue with him was going to be his ability to get near the ball. Looked assured when asked to take the ball out of defense in CJs absence as well. 3rd game in, ripper.

Brockman ain't hesitant anymore and he will be a full on star. His hands in the contest are elite. His game sense and vision are elite. He is less than a season away from tearing an AFL game apart.

Jeka made a huge improvement on his earlier games. At the start of the game he was bunching up too much with Kosi and the rucks but later on they had separation with one taking the contest on the wing and another providing the next option. Very happy with what I saw and intrigued at the prospect of going with those two and Lewis + one ruck.

Moore has had a great season and his numbers show it. A 15 disposal, 1.5 goal a game half forward is pretty close to elite. He has had three quarters this year where he's been clear BOG for us. His first today was one of those and he's done it to get us over the line against ESS and GWS. Huge tick.

Nash had 6 touches, 2 clearances, 3 I50s in the last quarter through midfield. Last week it was 4 touches with 3 clearances in his midfield quarter. That projects to very solid games but it's hard to tell when he's only there with the air out of the game. He provides something different. Give the guy a real chance to earn another contract in the first half with an open game. Our current midfield is being belted and I doubt Nash in midfield is a game buster than ruins our draft hand.

Hardwick - Sicily - Jiath
Day - Scrimshaw - Hardwick
Impey

Our biggest weapon is our defense and you can form a very solid defensive 7 from our guys injured now. It's a step too far when we can't win a game from the middle. Take the little wins.

Last edited:
Hallelujah brother, testify!

Been saying this all year long.

The physcholgical ramifications on an elite sportspersons psyche from being forced to play this style week in, week out shouldn't be underestimated.

Plus as you said it makes for very grim viewing.
You have to ask yourself, how much energy is expended for little or no return. The mental fatigue this must create can't be helping at all.

I know we are told they don't train like this but for some reason the players mentality defaults to this game style, why?

Bramble was excellent. I thought the main issue with him was going to be his ability to get near the ball. Looked assured when asked to take the ball out of defense in CJs absence as well. 3rd game in, ripper.

Brockman ain't hesitant anymore and he will be a full on star. His hands in the contest are elite. His game sense and vision are elite. He is less than a season away from tearing an AFL game apart.

Jeka made a huge improvement on his earlier games. At the start of the game he was bunching up too much with Kosi and the rucks but later on they had separation with one taking the contest on the wing and another providing the next option. Very happy with what I saw and intrigued at the prospect of going with those two and Lewis + one ruck.

Moore has had a great season and his numbers show it. A 15 disposal, 1.5 goal a game half forward is pretty close to elite. He has had three quarters this year where he's been clear BOG for us. His first today was one of those and he's done it to get us over the line against ESS and GWS. Huge tick.

Nash had 6 touches, 2 clearances, 3 I50s in the last quarter through midfield. Last week it was 4 touches with 3 clearances in his midfield quarter. That projects to very solid games but it's hard to tell when he's only there with the air out of the game. He provides something different. Give the guy a real chance to earn another contract in the first half with an open game. Our current midfield is being belted and I doubt Nash in midfield is a game buster than ruins our draft hand.
Thanks for the Nash stats. He was putrid up forward but does some nice things at the coal face. Keen to see more

I really don’t think its all doom and gloom - Jeka and Kosi got some goals, Bramble is showing outside class and DGB was quiet but competes plus there will be plenty to come back in next year.

It seems the coaches dont even know how to solve the midfield problem and we won’t improve until it is addressed.

Sucks for CJ but he has nothing more to prove this year, get him and Day ready for next year.

Let’s hope that next weeks score is higher than the daily covid cases in Sydney.
Some deeply concerning times for the AFL. The rule changes at the start of the season proved to be a false dawn regarding scoring. Richmond kick 2 goals last week, Adelaide ditto last night and Carlton going into three quarter time with a solitary goal to their name against Geelong. Does not bode well for the product in general.

One thing you can never criticize Clarko on is his loyalty.

Today, when there was no need to play conservative to garner an honorable loss that he can take the board and say we're not that far off with, he still remained fiercely loyal to playing along the boundaries, using the sloth-like switches of play via the D50, over handballing to stationary targets through the midfield and bombing the ball to nooneinparticular.

He's loyal like a captain on a sinking ship. He'll go down with it no matter what happens.
Savage mate.

Brockman more impressive than his stats suggest, covered the ground really well and did some smart things.

Jeka looked more comfortable than he did earlier in the year, few almost marks that will happen with more size.

Bramble best on ground for us, class ball user.

Koschitzke is a real talent just seems to pluck marks from no where

Moore tried hard all day, slow second half but was best on for the first half.
Brockman is gonna be a great forward after a pre season or two, huge ceiling

Some deeply concerning times for the AFL. The rule changes at the start of the season proved to be a false dawn regarding scoring. Richmond kick 2 goals last week, Adelaide ditto last night and Carlton going into three quarter time with a solitary goal to their name against Geelong. Does not bode well for the product in general.

That's why Hocking did a runner. Football is pretty ugly at the moment.

Worpel needs a lot more size and strength - maybe an extra 5-8kg just doesn’t have the size to worry the powerful mids

and god just play nash in the middle for 4qr, we can seriously get no worst and least he looks alright for someone who has never played their compared to some he can’t do much worst

Remove this Banner Ad

Back