West Coast - time for a rebuild?

How is Eddie Betts remembered?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Paying McGovern, Natanui and Kelly a combined 3 million pa is Ned Guy levels of irresponsible list management.
Naitanui has been WC's best player this year and is close to AA. Him being relied on to do everything is the issue and that's the coaching staff's error. Kelly is hit and miss but he was good tonight. He has been ok overall this year but not worth his money. McGovern is the disgraceful one, the guy doesn't even deserve to be playing AFL. Harry Edwards performed well filling in for him when he was injured then was dropped to bring back McGovern and he and the defense have been horrendous ever since he came back. Simpson is just too weak to make a statement.

Would the egales move Gaff on?

Dees went hard at Issac Smirh and missed, we desperately need another wingman. As much as I love Gus Brayshaw, he's being completely wasted on a wing.
Absolutely - a 2nd round pick and he'd be Melbourne's I'd imagine

WTF?

A 2nd rounder for Gaff?
He's 29 years old and is a stat padder. No hurt factor at all (in fact may be a negative given every disposal he gets is under pressure as he's too slow and too weak) but sure don't look at his performances the last year or 2 and instead what he used to be and trade a first rounder, I wouldn't say no

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That Nick Nat has no tank

Or just cbf marking his man late in the game.
Naitanui has been WC's best player this year and is close to AA. Him being relied on to do everything is the issue and that's the coaching staff's error. Kelly is hit and miss but he was good tonight. He has been ok overall this year but not worth his money. McGovern is the disgraceful one, the guy doesn't even deserve to be playing AFL. Harry Edwards performed well filling in for him when he was injured then was dropped to bring back McGovern and he and the defense have been horrendous ever since he came back. Simpson is just too weak to make a statement.

Doubt Natanui goes AA with Gawn an auto-inclusion and Sean Darcy rocketing.

He’s not the issue though (although his defensive intent in the last 30 seconds typified West Coast’s evening), it’s all the players earning 700k+: McGovern, Kelly, Shuey, Gaff, Yeo, Darling. Their performances range between appalling (McGovern, Darling) to meh (the rest).

I get some of these guys have had injuries, but that’s a hell of a lot of money for a season’s worth of bland footy.

He's 29 years old and is a stat padder. No hurt factor at all (in fact may be a negative given every disposal he gets is under pressure as he's too slow and too weak) but sure don't look at his performances the last year or 2 and instead what he used to be and trade a first rounder, I wouldn't say no
Yeah right, he's that bad. I knew he'd slowed, but wow.

Absolutely - a 2nd round pick and he'd be Melbourne's I'd imagine

Carlton are desperate for a player of his caliber, and would probably pony up a fair bit, but reckon the timing is a little off.

His game style and general durability means he’ll likely play to his mid 30’s though.

Or just cbf marking his man late in the game.

Doubt Natanui goes AA with Gawn an auto-inclusion and Sean Darcy rocketing.

He’s not the issue though (although his defensive intent in the last 30 seconds typified West Coast’s evening), it’s all the players earning 700k+: McGovern, Kelly, Shuey, Gaff, Yeo, Darling. Their performances range between appalling (McGovern, Darling) to meh (the rest).

I get some of these guys have had injuries, but that’s a hell of a lot of money for a season’s worth of bland footy.
Naitanui probably wont get it given WC's recent performances and probably the rest of year performances but he is not the problem. If WC had a structure that allowed him to just ruck and move around the ground getting uncontested ball he would have higher stats but the midfield would get walloped even more. When you are paying a guy $1mill a year (McGovern) to play KPD you would expect him to be able to play KPD and spoil the ball for once in his career, but all he is concerned about is going for marks.

Can't beat the bottom team at home with almost their full compliment of B22 players.

Their premiership window has officially slammed shut.
It's Freo's time to shine!

The older, hotter sister has just broken her nose. Finally the younger, plainer sister might get invited to the prom.

Yeah right, he's that bad. I knew he'd slowed, but wow.
Carlton are desperate for a player of his caliber, and would probably pony up a fair bit, but reckon the timing is a little off.

His game style and general durability means he’ll likely play to his mid 30’s though.
Well Melbourne and Carlton can get into a bidding war and offer a top 5 pick for them, I'm sure WC would accept if Gaff was willing to go

Back