Review Dogs d Suns 90-79 - Rd 18, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Dermie - coached the Gold Coast the whole game . Shoulda done this , shoulda done that...

No doubt the sound would be off when dewy reviews the game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And he knows every player’s thought processes and describes them in minute and boring detail.🙄

This on the AFL website:

Bont takes over
After a slightly shaky start by his team, it was no surprise that Marcus Bontempelli was the man to change the momentum for the Bulldogs. His team trailed by five points at the first change before Bontempelli put on his Superman cape and carried the Bulldogs to the lead. He had 13 touches in the second term alone, set up Ugle-Hagan's second goal and had a major hand in Jason Johannisen's first, shrugging tackles and bursting into open space. The Brownlow Medal favourite should have bagged another three votes.

Even if you ignore the disposals count as suggested above, the influence Bont had on the game has him BOG.

For me Miller was easily BOG with Bont and Macrae also getting votes.

Exactly! Some supporters have completely unrealistic expectations of players. When we needed to gap the Suns and gain control of the game, the Bont demolished them. Some of the best individual efforts you will ever see ....but that's not enough apparently. He is labouring a bit at the moment but he demonstrates week after week that there is no impact player in the league like him. He has gone past Dusty as the most devastating burst player in the game.

Thought he moved as freely as I've ever seen. His clanger rate however...and you know what? He knew it too.

Garcia's best game.

Bruce and Naughton were unseen. All 3 of our talks were chasing the same ball at some stages. Not sure what has changed from earlier in the year when we were firing.

Cordy is a liability. Wood needs to get fit soon.

Macrae is our only mid that kicks to leads from our forwards, the rest bomb it inside 50.
What I can't quite comprehend is why the match committee thinks persisting with Corday as a key defender is a better option than making use of the talls on our list who are languishing in the two's (eg: Lewis). Have they even tried to use Schache back there? Let's not make the Liam Jones mistake again.

What I can't quite comprehend is why the match committee thinks persisting with Corday as a key defender is a better option than making use of the talls on our list who are languishing in the two's (eg: Lewis). Have they even tried to use Schache back there? Let's not make the Liam Jones mistake again.

Because he is the best fit option and it’s fairly obvious.

Apologies to those that had to suffer through my rants in the live thread, I couldn’t bear us losing to the Suns.

Bontempelli broke the AFL record (1998 onwards) for the most clangers in a game with 15 and was our lowest-ranked player for disposals efficiency and yet was put as BOG by most of the media. Personally my 3-2-1 would be Miller, Macrae, B. Smith.

Some stats of note…

We lost on expected score.

We had just 2 marks until 18th minute of the match.

We lost the spoil count by 28.

We dropped 7 marks to 3.

Gold Coast ran 222km to our 212km and had an average speed of 8.4 kph to our 7.6 kph.

Now as always…

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 71 / 90 (+19)

GC: 84 / 79 (-5)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: -13 / +11

Centre Bounce Attendance
23 - Macrae
22 - Bontempelli, English
19 - B. Smith
17 - Dunkley
6 - Bruce
3 - Daniel

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage)
73 - English (37 / 12)
23 - Bruce (7 / 2)
4 - Keath (1 / 1)
2 - Cordt (1 / 1)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 16
GC: 13

First Possessions
WB: 54

GC: 38

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 47 / 41
GC: 37 / 31

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 51%
GC: 53%

Spoil Efficiency
WB: 52%
GC: 76%

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency

WB: 64%
GC: 60%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 67%
GC: 80%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 4
GC: 5

Defensive Half Contested Marks

WB: 1
GC: 9

Score Launches
3 - Bontempelli
2 - Cordy, Dunkley, English, Richards
1 - Dale, Daniel, Keath, Macrae, McNeil, B. Smith, R. Smith, Weightman, Williams

Shots At Goal
WB: 22 (64% - Expected Accuracy: 46%)
GC: 25 (44% - Expected Accuracy: 50%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Gold Coast)
Set Shot: 9.1 / 5.5
Snap: 3.1 / 4.4
On Run: 2.0 / 2.4
Mark Play On: 0.1 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 1.0 / 2.0
15M-30M: 4.1 / 7.3
31M-40M: 3.0 / 0.3
41M-50M: 5.2 / 2.5
51M+: 1.0 / 0.2

Targets Inside 50
12 - Bruce
11 - Ugle-Hagan
8 - Naughton, Weightman
3 - Johannisen
5 - Rushed/Bombed
1 - Dunkley, English, McNeil

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 14 (1 Contested)
GC: 38 (3 Contested)

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 6

GC: 8

Defensive Half Turnovers

GC: 18

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 48

Unforced Turnovers

Unforced Turnovers By Player
3 - Bontempelli
2 - Bruce, Garcia, Hunter
1 - Crozier, Dale, Duryea, Johannisen, McNeil, Ugle-Hagan, Weightman

No Pressure Errors
WB: 11

Turnovers/Frees/50M Penalties Punished By Goals
1 - Crozier, Garcia, Macrae, R. Smith, Williams

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 165 (Poor)
GC: 181 (Average)

Q2
WB: 190 Above Average)
GC: 199 (Above Average)

Q3
WB: 181 (Average)
GC: 205 (Elite)

Q4
WB: 171 (Below Average)
GC: 174 (Below Average)

Match
WB: 176 (Below Average)
GC: 191 (Above Average)

Free Kick Summary
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 7.52.50 pm.png

Score Sources
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 7.53.02 pm.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies to those that had to suffer through my rants in the live thread, I couldn’t bear us losing to the Suns.

Bontempelli broke the AFL record (1998 onwards) for the most clangers in a game with 15 and was our lowest-ranked player for disposals efficiency and yet was put as BOG by most of the media. Personally my 3-2-1 would be Miller, Macrae, B. Smith.

Some stats of note…

We lost on expected score.

We had just 2 marks until 18th minute of the match.

We lost the spoil count by 28.

We dropped 7 marks to 3.

Gold Coast ran 222km to our 212km and had an average speed of 8.4 kph to our 7.6 kph.

Now as always…

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 71 / 90 (+19)

GC: 84 / 79 (-5)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: -13 / +11

Centre Bounce Attendance
23 - Macrae
22 - Bontempelli, English
19 - B. Smith
17 - Dunkley
6 - Bruce
3 - Daniel

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage)
73 - English (37 / 12)
23 - Bruce (7 / 2)
4 - Keath (1 / 1)
2 - Cordt (1 / 1)

Hitouts To Advantage
GC: 13

First Possessions
WB: 54

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 47 / 41
GC: 37 / 31

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 51%
GC: 53%

Spoil Efficiency
WB: 52%
GC: 76%

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 64%
GC: 60%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 67%
GC: 80%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 4

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 1

Score Launches
3 - Bontempelli
2 - Cordy, Dunkley, English, Richards
1 - Dale, Daniel, Keath, Macrae, McNeil, B. Smith, R. Smith, Weightman, Williams

Shots At Goal
WB: 22 (64% - Expected Accuracy: 46%)
GC: 25 (44% - Expected Accuracy: 50%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Gold Coast)
Set Shot: 9.1 / 5.5
Snap: 3.1 / 4.4
On Run: 2.0 / 2.4
Mark Play On: 0.1 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 1.0 / 2.0
15M-30M: 4.1 / 7.3
31M-40M: 3.0 / 0.3
41M-50M: 5.2 / 2.5
51M+: 1.0 / 0.2

Targets Inside 50
12 - Bruce
11 - Ugle-Hagan
8 - Naughton, Weightman
3 - Johannisen
5 - Rushed/Bombed
1 - Dunkley, English, McNeil

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 14 (1 Contested)
GC: 38 (3 Contested)

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 6

GC: 8

Defensive Half Turnovers

GC: 18

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 48

Unforced Turnovers

Unforced Turnovers By Player
3 - Bontempelli
2 - Bruce, Garcia, Hunter
1 - Crozier, Dale, Duryea, Johannisen, McNeil, Ugle-Hagan, Weightman

No Pressure Errors
WB: 11

Turnovers/Frees/50M Penalties Punished By Goals
1 - Crozier, Garcia, Macrae, R. Smith, Williams

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 165 (Poor)
GC: 181 (Average)

Q2
WB: 190 Above Average)
GC: 199 (Above Average)

Q3
WB: 181 (Average)
GC: 205 (Elite)

Q4
WB: 171 (Below Average)
GC: 174 (Below Average)

Match
WB: 176 (Below Average)
GC: 191 (Above Average)

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1179928

Score Sources
View attachment 1179929
Level with JJs 15 clangers in the 2016 grand final

Bank 4 points and move on.

dunkley back, JUH showed he will be a player, Garcia gets better each week and Weight-man work himself into game.
Martin, Treloar, Wood, Mclean to come back for Crozier, Roarke, McNeil and player x. If we get all back, our midfield dominance will Cover our backline deficiencies and we will be right

Because he is the best fit option and it’s fairly obvious.
Yeah I'm not canning Cordy. He gives his all and has done so over an extended time. But he's not a key back. He may be tall, and he's quite mobile to go with that, but in the air he is a worry every single time. Doesn't get body on opponents, can't hold his ground in a one-on-one and doesn't have much of a leap. We just need a strong body & fist back there.
Don't even get me started on how we could let Hamling, Roughead & Adams go, and find ourselves left with Roberts, Trengove and other options we won't even play.

Yeah I'm not canning Cordy. He gives his all and has done so over an extended time. But he's not a key back. He may be tall, and he's quite mobile to go with that, but in the air he is a worry every single time. Doesn't get body on opponents, can't hold his ground in a one-on-one and doesn't have much of a leap. We just need a strong body & fist back there.
Don't even get me started on how we could let Hamling, Roughead & Adams go, and find ourselves left with Roberts, Trengove and other options we won't even play.

I don’t think many in here disagree but as I said he is best available

Good win solely because GC are rock solid at the moment and we just needed to bank the points.

It was a terribly officiated game. Bont was getting held at every clearance. Bruce pushed in the ruck late. Heaps of sloppy suns tackles not punished

The commentary was worse. Blatant cheering. Between Gerard Healy having constant aneurysms trying to speak basic English and Derm tickling GC’s balls I had beyond blue on speed dial.

the first quarter we kept spoiling eachother in defence. Figuring that out and really putting heat on Rowell paid divid ends. He is an animal around the footy.

A few negatives I want to get off my chest:

- Bailey smith with a dumb switch kick late in the second. Just stupid. His hardness and burst are great but he is currently a dumb footballer

- Naughton giving away a free when JJ had a set shot. Unacceptable.

- Caleb giving the 50 to King. Unacceptable

- forward line lacked functionality for second straight week

- naughts and Dunkley quiet

- roarke, Mcneill bar the last very poor

- pretty bad ground ball defence game. Our lack of wheels back there hurts when the forwards can’t keep it in

Positives

Garcia is like a young Dahl in agility, closing speed, hands and hardness. But he isn’t the worst kick in the AFL like Dahl is.

Weightman worked hard putting on pressure all day and was lucky to be rewarded with his goals because the stats didn’t do him justice

Bont apparently has to go at 100% to have a good game? Rubbish. He is a monster in the stoppages. Wins us heaps of territory. Is brilliant by hand and busting through tackles. Couple of ineffective kicks today but the guy puts us to advantage more

Macrae was so clean and stepped up again late. He or Bont will be bog

Jamarra…well, it’s great to see him smile but there is a long way to go. Concerned at his lack of touch by hand. It’s hurting us. Love to see a young guy convert in front of goal though.

Hunter was great

Jj was pretty handy. Important connecting player.

daniel stepped up around the footy. So clean

offensively the half backs were very good but wood and Gardner will add some needed ground ball hardness and closing speed

How many more games is Roarke Smith going to be gifted. Absolute liability every time he plays.
Loved the game by the Roarke in the red tho, that kid can play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back