Review Dogs d Suns 90-79 - Rd 18, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven’t followed any of Bigfooty today so apologies if this has already been discussed. Bont clearly looks hindered by that shoulder injury. He seems to clutch it every time he was on the ground. Wouldn’t be surprised if he’s carrying something major. Could explain the form drop off the two weeks prior and even for parts of this game.

Could rest him against the crows when Libba is back?

Apologies to those that had to suffer through my rants in the live thread, I couldn’t bear us losing to the Suns.

Bontempelli broke the AFL record (1998 onwards) for the most clangers in a game with 15 and was our lowest-ranked player for disposals efficiency and yet was put as BOG by most of the media. Personally my 3-2-1 would be Miller, Macrae, B. Smith.

Some stats of note…

We lost on expected score.

We had just 2 marks until 18th minute of the match.

We lost the spoil count by 28.

We dropped 7 marks to 3.

Gold Coast ran 222km to our 212km and had an average speed of 8.4 kph to our 7.6 kph.

Now as always…

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 71 / 90 (+19)

GC: 84 / 79 (-5)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: -13 / +11

Centre Bounce Attendance
23 - Macrae
22 - Bontempelli, English
19 - B. Smith
17 - Dunkley
6 - Bruce
3 - Daniel

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage)
73 - English (37 / 12)
23 - Bruce (7 / 2)
4 - Keath (1 / 1)
2 - Cordt (1 / 1)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 16
GC: 13

First Possessions
WB: 54

GC: 38

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 47 / 41
GC: 37 / 31

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 51%
GC: 53%

Spoil Efficiency
WB: 52%
GC: 76%

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency

WB: 64%
GC: 60%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 67%
GC: 80%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 4
GC: 5

Defensive Half Contested Marks

WB: 1
GC: 9

Score Launches
3 - Bontempelli
2 - Cordy, Dunkley, English, Richards
1 - Dale, Daniel, Keath, Macrae, McNeil, B. Smith, R. Smith, Weightman, Williams

Shots At Goal
WB: 22 (64% - Expected Accuracy: 46%)
GC: 25 (44% - Expected Accuracy: 50%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Gold Coast)
Set Shot: 9.1 / 5.5
Snap: 3.1 / 4.4
On Run: 2.0 / 2.4
Mark Play On: 0.1 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 1.0 / 2.0
15M-30M: 4.1 / 7.3
31M-40M: 3.0 / 0.3
41M-50M: 5.2 / 2.5
51M+: 1.0 / 0.2

Targets Inside 50
12 - Bruce
11 - Ugle-Hagan
8 - Naughton, Weightman
3 - Johannisen
5 - Rushed/Bombed
1 - Dunkley, English, McNeil

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 14 (1 Contested)
GC: 38 (3 Contested)

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 6

GC: 8

Defensive Half Turnovers

GC: 18

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 48

GC: 38

Unforced Turnovers

GC: 9

Unforced Turnovers By Player
3 - Bontempelli
2 - Bruce, Garcia, Hunter
1 - Crozier, Dale, Duryea, Johannisen, McNeil, Ugle-Hagan, Weightman

No Pressure Errors
WB: 11

GC: 5

Turnovers/Frees/50M Penalties Punished By Goals
1 - Crozier, Garcia, Macrae, R. Smith, Williams

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 165 (Poor)
GC: 181 (Average)

Q2
WB: 190 Above Average)
GC: 199 (Above Average)

Q3
WB: 181 (Average)
GC: 205 (Elite)

Q4
WB: 171 (Below Average)
GC: 174 (Below Average)

Match
WB: 176 (Below Average)
GC: 191 (Above Average)

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1179928

Score Sources
View attachment 1179929
How does our tackle efficiency stack up across the season? I could be wrong but to the naked eye we don't seem to be sticking as many tackles as we were earlier in the season.

Best available at what?

‘Takes no intercept marks, misses the punch all the time and trails his opponent on the lead.

Where would you play him?

If Gardner and Wood were fit I wouldn’t play him but they aren’t and I think Young is actually significantly worse than Cordy so who is next?

there is no one else

What I can't quite comprehend is why the match committee thinks persisting with Corday as a key defender is a better option than making use of the talls on our list who are languishing in the two's (eg: Lewis). Have they even tried to use Schache back there? Let's not make the Liam Jones mistake again.
Schache was tried in the backline for one quarter last week in the VFL third quarter, don’t know if he’s had any more time there recently as I haven’t seen much of the VFL, but I totally agree with you. Cordy should be last in line

Re Bont - you don't deserve to get in the votes with 15 clangers, in my view. And you could tell Bont was annoyed at himself too. I reckon Champion Data have got it about right tonight - I think Macrae was clearly our best player - and Garcia, English, Smith, Keath and Daniel all had good games too. (Very happy about how Garcia is building.) Halfway through the game I was thinking Bont should take a rest next week Libba-style. But I think he actually moved pretty well tonight. It was just his disposal was weirdly off - by both hand and foot. I have no idea why. I guess that happens sometimes.

Also was very pleased with Weightman sticking at it with his best efforts when luck was working against him. He plays for frees a bit too much and makes some stupid attempts to fly for marks, but those quibbles will be ironed out with time. He's a beauty, I reckon.

And how good is it to see a forward kicking like Marra was? Hopefully he can keep that up. A tall who can lead, mark the ball at its highest point, and kick straight is exactly what we need for our 3rd tall. A definite immediate upgrade on Hannan or Wallis.

Getting worried about Bruce and Crozier's form. Crozier can be replaced by Wood (if Wood stays fit when he returns). But there is no replacement for Bruce this year, so hopefully he can pull it together.

Last edited:
If Gardner and Wood were fit I wouldn’t play him but they aren’t and I think Young is actually significantly worse than Cordy so who is next?

there is no one else
Young has appeared pretty capable in the air from what have seen this year.

A lot quicker than Cordy too. Watch his run down of Zac Bailey in Ballarat.

Young has appeared pretty capable in the air from what have seen this year.

A lot quicker than Cordy too. Watch his run down of Zac Bailey in Ballarat.

As I’ve said his positioning and competitive will are the issues and Cordy has him covered in both significantly, which obviously Bev considers more important.

As I’ve said his positioning and competitive will are the issues and Cordy has him covered in both significantly, which obviously Bev considers more important.
You rate Cordy’s positioning?

Young doesn’t use his size well enough but at he gets his hand to the ball most times.

In any case Cordy is too small to play KPD.

Maybe as third tall but even then lack of pace is an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young doesn’t use his size well enough but at he gets his hand to the ball most times.
Young's biggest issue is game awareness. He just has no idea where to position himself and it costs us goals consistently. I've seen little to no improvement in him since his debut.

Gold Coast ran 222km to our 212km and had an average speed of 8.4 kph to our 7.6 kph.

That does not surprise me - during the 4th quarter GC looked substantially faster than us. It was concerning.

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 71 / 90 (+19)

GC: 84 / 79 (-5)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: -13 / +11

I don't think this bit is being given enough attention. We did not deserve to win. We fluked it - partly thanks to Marra's kicking, and partly thanks to GC blowing some easy chances.

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 51%
GC: 53%

That would just about have to be the first time we've been beaten this year for Tackle Efficiency, wouldn't it, Oliver? Maybe the Demons beat us? It's generally been a real strength of ours. I noticed tackling efficiency dropping last week. And this week it's even worse - 51% is genuinely mediocre. Hopefully this is just an indicator of our slump and it will be back for finals because sticking tackles will be so important in September. I understand that no Libba and an underdone Dunkley would be part of that. But the whole team is tackling more inconsistently right now.

Spoil Efficiency
WB: 52%
GC: 76%

I'm also not surprised by this stat. The ball went over our defenders' fists wayyyyyyyy too many times. That incidentally is something Gardner is VERY good at. Fingers crossed he recovers quickly!

Targets Inside 50
12 - Bruce
11 - Ugle-Hagan
8 - Naughton, Weightman
3 - Johannisen
5 - Rushed/Bombed
1 - Dunkley, English, McNeil

Did it seem like Naughton was playing higher than usual to accomodate JUH? I notice they targeted Naughton less frequently in the I50s than usual (usually he is our most frequent target by a lot). That may well be cause he wasn't even in the 50 for most of the game.

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 165 (Poor)
GC: 181 (Average)

Q2
WB: 190 Above Average)
GC: 199 (Above Average)

Q3
WB: 181 (Average)
GC: 205 (Elite)

Q4
WB: 171 (Below Average)
GC: 174 (Below Average)

Match
WB: 176 (Below Average)
GC: 191 (Above Average)

Now here's a mystery.... On FOX they kept showing pressure gauges well into the 200s for each quarter. sometimes they were at 230! I understand that this was halfway through quarters, and the final numbers for each qtr might have changed. But not to the point that they ended up in the low 170s like in Q4. And the Dogs were in the mid 220s according to FOX in the 3rd qtr, when they ended up with 181, according to these stats. I wonder why there was such a discrepancy.

I only had a shitful MMM radio call.

How did Marra, Garcia and Dunkley go?

I really enjoyed Marra’s game. Gee he can jump but he also knows when to jump. He’s very raw and he was seagulling outside packs a little bit but I saw all the reasons he went at pick 1. No idea what his ceiling really is for all the buddy hype but he has the potential to be a very good player. When he’s 23 with some experience he is going to be a joy to watch. First goal was a delight to watch swinging left to right, his second was a mark from some very clever manoeuvring of his defender (wrong footed him with a quick dart and slide the other way) and his third was a very high banana type thing from the boundary that was clearly deliberate. I saw some footage of him practicing clever placement kicks off a scotch college balcony with some mates once and the third goal was the result of years of that type of trick shot practice (imo)... Get excited - can’t wait to see him live!!

In any case Cordy is too small to play KPD.

Maybe as third tall but even then lack of pace is an issue.

Again he is better than Young by a long way abs I rate Cordy a 5/10.

ive never said Cordy is a KP. EVER! But at this moment he is the best available

This is our consolidation period and we just need to eek out any wins we can until we get the full team up and running leading into the finals. If we can get Treloar back 2 or 3 weeks prior and Martin back a week or 2 prior we’ll be well placed. A rest for Libba, a practice run for Dunkley to ease back into form, more experience for Garcia, Marra and Weightman and a 12 point win.

I’m pretty happy with that.

Again he is better than Young by a long way abs I rate Cordy a 5/10.

ive never said Cordy is a KP. EVER! But at this moment he is the best available
Yeah I get it with Young, looks awkward and gets lost every now and then, but I reckon he gets a bad wrap.

Cordy has played every game since game 5 and has barely put in a passable performance.

Today wasn’t the exception for him.

Yeah I get it with Young, looks awkward and gets lost every now and then, but I reckon he gets a bad wrap.

Cordy has played every game since game 5 and has barely put in a passable performance.

Today wasn’t the exception for him.

And he is still getting picked in front of Young. That a 5/10 player continues to be picked in front of Young Must tell you something?

So I ask you who plays if not Cordy or Young? Coz I promise you if Young was playing we would be having the same convo with names reversed. Neither are good enough

And he is still getting picked in front of Young. That a 5/10 player continues to be picked in front of Young Must tell you something?

So I ask you who plays if not Cordy or Young? Coz I promise you if Young was playing we would be having the same convo with names reversed. Neither are good enough
We miss Wood and his ability to go third man up. We desperately need him fit for a finals tilt.

Maybe, perhaps…if Libbas kick in’98 ….went though. Now you are speculating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back