Coach Clarkson has left the building

Remove this Banner Ad

I think most will agree we need fresh ideas on the coaching side of things. Many here have been frustrated with selection and position decisions week to week.

I am happy to see what Mitch has to offer a year earlier than I thought I would. I would have liked a smoother exit for Clarko and it has apparently been bungled. The worse thing for me is that I was critical of the media boofheads but they have apparently been proven right. I was naïve enough to believe the club.

‘many ‘in here’ voiced opinion about selections during threepeat too. It’s The opposite of stable evidence

The things Sam Mitchell should have done:

1. Ask Clarkson does he want to continue to coach Hawthorn beyond 2021 (clearly the answer was YES).

2. Decline the appointment, given the board was split on wanting Clarkson and there had been no process.

Sam may think he hasn't undermined his old coach.... but there can be no doubt now that he has certainly undermined himself. What a terrible way to start a coaching career.

I wish Sam all the best... but right now I am waiting to see Sam display his values as the new Hawthorn coach, because it is values that lead to Hawthorn success. It has not been a good start for him.

I blame Jeff and I worry if Sam doesn't.

Can someone more savvy than I do a bit of a comparison of Clarko vs Mitch at the start of their coaching careers? Many ppl saying Mitch not ready, but if I remember rightly, Clarko came in in his late 30s, with not a hell of a lot of coaching experience either, and had won a premiership a few years later.
Apparently his PowerPoint audition just blew them all away..

Yup, Joycey was alright but the players were on auto pilot that year. Also were playing for the great Yabby and his medical scare....
But to balance, I left out the 8th in 9 years of 1991.

I mean, I coulda gone there....

worst. Dual. Premiership coach. Ever (sarcasm. Some clubs don’t have dual premiership coaches)

was sacked making finals because bean counters and faceless men ****ed up. A bit like today

Kennedy by a million miles.
Yabby by a 100.
Clarko a very good third, which at a Club as rich in recent history is still excellent. 2008 I give all alone to Clarko. Rabbit out of a hat, pure energy and belief and a game plan that worked such a treat on the day.
The next 3 are the players. Clarko still fantastic, but the players made a fairly simple game plan work by being otherworldly when it counted. Just big game players, Burgers, Sam, Hodgey, Roughey, Gibbo, the unicorn in Buddy, the ring in in Lakey, and everyone else pulling in the same direction.
Doesn't take away from Clarko.

But comeon.
Kennedy BUILT the club from a pile of absolute pathetic forever losing doo doo. He changed the very course of our Club.
He's the greatest.

Yabby took us to SEVEN, I repeat SEVEN, Grand Finals in a row. In a freakin row.
Great players we had no doubt, but we won a ridiculously high percentage of our games, and by extraordinary margins, because Mr Jeans was a man for the ages.

Now to bully......
Nope. I just read your outraged yelling and finger pointing and get tired of it.

The Club is absolutely it's members and culture. If you aren't willing to pull in the same direction because of your infatuation with Clarko, you're not part of that culture.

Kennett IS crap.

I wrote he was crap 4 years ago.
3 years ago.
2 years ago.
I left the board because of the nitwits and deniers of Covid, to deal with the public health crisis that has gone on here in the USA.
I return, and fully agree Kennett is not the man for the job.

Your vitriol and screaming 'He's a Witch, burn him, burn him!', is tiresome.

A couple of points. I have supported the club throughout the careers of ALL of the coaches you have named and without denigrating the others - who were fantastic - the best coach for me is Clarkson. How many coaches have you actually watched in action?
Yabbie didn't take us to seven grand finals in a row in a competition (initially with only 12 teams and no salary cap). And you've completely forgotten Alan Joyce.
And finally, I'm so sorry that you find other people's opinions 'tiresome'. You sound just like Kennett so don't complain about being accurately labelled as a bullyboy

Agree with him here 100%. Either way, I'm upset that Clarko is leaving at the end of the year but happier to have a future to look forward too. The presser offered the unwavering support Clarko has for Mitch which subdued my fears.

What has aggravated me the most is the manner this was conducted in. We pride ourselves on being utterly professional and we dish out this. I'm still waiting for an email from the club about this, members and supporters for that matter are just reading the media, blindly looking for an explanation. Blame lies at the feet of Revees and Kennett. Looking at the agility of Kennett, he'd be unable to even look down at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with him here 100%. Either way, I'm upset that Clarko is leaving at the end of the year but happier to have a future to look forward too. The presser offered the unwavering support Clarko has for Mitch which subdued my fears.

What has aggravated me the most is the manner this was conducted in. We pride ourselves on being utterly professional and we dish out this. I'm still waiting for an email from the club about this, members and supporters for that matter are just reading the media, blindly looking for an explanation. Blame lies at the feet of Revees and Kennett. Looking at the agility of Kennett, he'd be unable to even look down at it.

‘they used to say he only opened his mouth to swap the foot in it

Ben Dixon suggesting Clarko has made this call and asked to leave now.

Listen to the emotion in Clarkson's voice in that last press conference.

He wanted to stay on for another 10-15 years.

The closest representation of John Kennedy Snr that we have left and still the best coach in the game. Moreover, a pair of safe hands when it comes to safeguarding club culture.

The things Sam Mitchell should have done:

1. Ask Clarkson does he want to continue to coach Hawthorn beyond 2021 (clearly the answer was YES).

2. Decline the appointment, given the board was split on wanting Clarkson and there had been no process.

Sam may think he hasn't undermined his old coach.... but there can be no doubt now that he has certainly undermined himself. What a terrible way to start a coaching career.

I wish Sam all the best... but right now I am waiting to see Sam display his values as the new Hawthorn coach, because it is values that lead to Hawthorn success. It has not been a good start for him.

I blame Jeff and I worry if Sam doesn't.
The board was not split on not renewing Clarkson from what I understand.

Clarkson knew the writing was on the wall too.

Ben Dixon suggesting Clarko has made this call and asked to leave now.

And listening to Dunstall I would suggest that’s not quite right but Clarkos pride Would ensure that he walks away with his reputation in tact

The massive eye roll from Dunstall when asked about Kennett speaks volumes - his time is up

Listen to the emotion in Clarkson's voice in that last press conference.

He wanted to stay on for another 10-15 years.

The closest representation of John Kennedy Snr that we have left and still the best coach in the game. Moreover, a pair of safe hands when it comes to safeguarding club culture.
This isn't true.

So many thoughts - but however it came about - Sam being coach next year rather than 2023 is absolutely the right call. Would have been an absolute dogs breakfast and waste of a year with them both there next year. Soon Jeff will be gone (thankfully) and I just hope Sam is put in a position to succeed because I have no doubt he is capable of doing so. Personally I can't wait to see him mould the team over the coming years.

The board was not split on not renewing Clarkson from what I understand.

Clarkson knew the writing was on the wall too.
Correct. His last/present contract was structured as such. Clauses were inserted that basically had him employed, but No coaching in 2023 or 2024

We've had Kennett as president since 2017, when will he be taking responsibility for our poor ladder position?
Totally agree

Kennett needs to radically change his game plan and tactics pre-game and during games if we ever want to be successful again

Totally agree

Kennett needs to radically change his game plan and tactics pre-game and during games if we ever want to be successful again

Given a key part of his game plan seems to have included over a decade of undermining the head coach, we seem to be in full agreement. Sammy needs to watch his back going forward given Kennett's 'game plan' history.

Throughout this process, it was inevitable someone, somewhere was not going to get what they wanted. A compromise between two parties is always more likely to succeed than one involving three parties, too many moving parts.

Poor from the club not to have reached this obvious conclusion before going public once the board had agreed not to renew. That too me is the poorest part of this shoddy effort.

Thanks Clarko, good luck Sam.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back