Coach Clarkson has left the building

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s funny I have read in other post - Clarko has to go he is not playing the kids, he is stubborn blah blah blah

this was never going to work and if Sam is coaching Box Hill one way and Clarko coaching the Hawks another way this would cause confusion and hurt our progress

i love Clarko and would love this to have ended different but ripping the band aid off now and move forward so we don’t have to put up with the same s**t every week next year

send Clarko off the right way in the last few games and then get behind Sam listen to his plan going forward, embrace it and lets ride this wave back up the ladder where we belong

just have to put up with Carro, Barrett, Kane Cornes gloat for a week or so saying they were right

Always Hawthorn

I’m not impressed with how the board has handled this. It’s been amateurish, embarrassing and seems as if its personal. The board has shown little respect to Clarko. It has set Sam up as a scapegoat. If we win a premiership, in the next 5 years, the board will take the credit for their forward thinking. if Sam doesn’t succeed, the board will save face by transferring the blame on the 2 coaches, while the supporters turn their frustrations on the current coach and players. It’s a no win Situation for either Clarko or Sam. The recent decisions has placed our club in a corner.

If we were looking at a 10 year coaching plan, wouldn’t the more logical thing to do is to discuss a handover plan with them both? So the transition could have been a lot more Smoother. Instead the board has shown its incompetence with its own ego.

The current board has to go, they have created this mess, they need to be held accountable for it.

i wish Clarko all the best for his future endeavours, and wish Sam the best of luck for his new appointment.

I can't understand how people are favouring Clarko. The leaks are clearly coming from his party. He was not happy that the club was wanting a succession plan rather than just paying him out. Then after the meeting with leading teams, got on board, but then changes his mind again. What strikes me is the players wanted Clarko to go, not Mitchell. Opposite to the Malthouse/Buckley succession where the players wanted Mick to stay.​
Clarko will be inducted as a legend of the club one day, but he has not been on the top of his game since the end of 2016. The fallings out with key staff and players proves this. I am looking forward to the Mitchell dynasty.​
I asked in an earlier post if the players may have swayed Clarko to change his mind, as this is the only reason I could see on him going back on his word to stay the course. You have stated that the players wanted Clarko to go - Has this been confirmed by any of the playing group or is it based on media reporting?

Been to my local cricket clubs AGM meeting tonight so playing catch up at the moment on the press conference and thumbing through the pages here.

Pre 5pm the tin foil hats brigade were out in full force, conspiracy theories everywhere.

post 5.30pm Some sort of normality has returned.

everyone has an opinion on this and that but i wish posters would take a deep breathe before they post.

AC was all class today a true great of the Hawks and the AFL, can’t wait to see where his journey takes him. Thanks for the life time of memories, the 08 flag was the best of the 4 for me.

I believe it was time for a change but i just can’t believe how bad it has been handled by a so called professional outfit, anyway it’s done now. We have been hard to watch for 3 seasons now and stringing consecutive wins together has been near impossible, in fact kicking more than 10 goals has been a tough ask.

Time will tell if Mitch can turn us around but I will back him in and continue to buy my membership and support this great club that has given us so much joy and a little heart ache along the way.

Looking forward to the off season and trade period and for Mitch to put his stamp on this great club.

Onward and upward.

Close sources to a rival player and they don't mind people knowing say Rival player approached by clarko to change clubs and quite in depth discussion.
When manager contacted HFC no one knew anything about it and told have no interest.
Manager was not happy to say the least.
Loser Clarkson tried to recruit a 29 year old.

Last edited:
Close sources to a player and they don't mind people knowing say player approached by HFC rep to change clubs and quite in depth discussion.
When contacted HFC no one knew anything about it and have no interest.
Rep was not happy to say the least and said one person knows.
Guess who?
Tom Mitchell or Wingard

This ...

In the presser Clarko mentioned he didn’t want next year to affect his relationship with them
Obviously they had differing opinions on which way the club should go next year

And this ...

I can understand differing opinions but they must have very different to potentially ruin an almost 20 year friendship.
Means they are both passionate people.

Given the number of contentious decisions a coach must make (off-season, pre-season, regular season), the kind of handover that was being sold could only have worked if ...
a) one or both men were willing to be very pliant ... always unlikely given the head-strong, passionate nature of Clarko and Sam. Or
b) they were remarkably in-synch on everything from 'what our draft strategy should be' to 'should Nash play forward or midfield'

I find it hard to blame Sam or Clarko for encountering friction and 'failing' to make it work.

It was inevitable. Hence why the club is being slated / ridiculed in roughly equal measure.
Thanks Jeff.
See yourself out.
One year early please.

Edit: (My last reference to JK, I pledge, and for those thinking ill of Sam in all this, I doubt that Sam, when he returned from West Coast, had this ungodly, bigamous, Utah-style union in mind. Yet he still couldn't resist the allure of Hawthorn - that has to tell you something).

I asked in an earlier post if the players may have swayed Clarko to change his mind, as this is the only reason I could see on him going back on his word to stay the course. You have stated that the players wanted Clarko to go - Has this been confirmed by any of the playing group or is it based on media reporting?
Media reports have said the playing group were mostly upset and blindsided by the whole situation, many are quite loyal to Clarko, particularly BB, despite him being the one who went to the board and said it wasn’t working.

It will ultimately be for the best, but what an unhawthorn like 3 weeks. Very sad.

We are very very lucky it's been Clarko and not someone else. This could have been much uglier if the person in the middle of it all didn't care as much about the best interests of the club as Clarko does. During every bad turn, Clarko has done his best to spin the situation in the club's favour, despite him being on the losing end of the outcomes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take, players went to thefooty department saying that they’re getting different messages from assistants, Clarko, Mitchell.
Clarko realises that that isn’t going to work, offers to step down now.
Sammy happy, he gets clean air to operate
Board happy, get what they wanted, Clarko gine
Clarko happy-ish, he gets paid our, and time to refresh and re-set. Knows he won’t be short of offers.

to me, we tried it, realised it wasn’t working, bailed on it early rather than waste 12mths.

Close sources to a player and they don't mind people knowing say Rival player approached by HFC rep to change clubs and quite in depth discussion.
Rep was not happy to say the least and said that person knows.
Guess who?
Just say what you want to say. The cyptic guessing games are a bit much.

How is it cryptic, seems clear to most that read it. We'll when or if idiot contacts him, first thing check with his club.
Maybe you need to slow down and read back what you've written before hitting 'post reply'.

It's not making sense.

Trying to bring in someone unsuitable and no one knew.
Right.

So Clarkson had someone approach an opposition player about joining HFC, but when HFC were somehow contacted by someone associated to that player(manager?), HFC said that they had no intentions to pursue this player.

Is this it?

Someone on the coaching staff (assume Clarkson) had approached a player from another club to join the hawks. That player has now reached out to the club to see if this approach is still on the table. The club didn’t know about it.

Assume the Hawthorn official was off doing things without informing others and this is a signal of the kind of stuff this person does regularly.

Correct, Open Positions?

Close sources to a player and they don't mind people knowing say Rival player approached by HFC rep to change clubs and quite in depth discussion.
Rep was not happy to say the least and said that person knows.
Guess who?
You claim to have very intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the club and talk about Clarkson with utter disrespect. I'm guessing you are Justin Reeves.

Right.

So Clarkson had someone approach an opposition player about joining HFC, but when HFC were somehow contacted by someone associated to that player(manager?), HFC said that they had no intentions to pursue this player.

Is this it?

This is how I understood it too. Suggest you try being less cryptic Open Positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back